Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

No need to be silly!  Elegoo have a soon-to-be-released FDM printer (the Orange-Storm Giga) -   at 800mmx800mmx1000mm build-size it  might just be big enough. 

AS is the case with every other 3D development, you can except Anycubic, Creality etc etc to follow suit at some point. 

I'd prefer one that's 1000x200x150mm.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I did suggest at work today that if caught, their sentence should be to clean it all off.

With a toothbrush.

On an outside depot road.

In their underpants.

In February.

You are being way too generous.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

...snip...   at 800mmx800mmx1000mm build-size it  might just be big enough. ...snip...

31" x 31" x 39" does not sound all that large.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Last Saturday (so its still easily available on iPlayer) the first edition of TG was re-broadcast on BBC Four.  The title music was the familiar tune, with stodgy graphics. It was then introduced by some bloke behind a desk, who rambled on a bit and then passed things over to Angela Rippon, without mentioning what the segment would be about.  Angela then did a piece while she drove her Capri down a motorway, rambling on about good and bad drivers, before pulling into a motorway services to interview a woman about the price of motorway meals.

At that point I gave up, it was so DULL. I'm surprised it lasted long enough to be rebooted by the CHM era!

Ah, but you were watching it all wrong....you should've had the sound on mute....

image.png.0640eaf76624b14da2e6e3ee6aa94ab5.png

• Funny 1

Back at the Railway Museum in Saitama. Drove a train (may explain later) and got loads of snaps, including some of the beautiful ship models (ships owned by Railway Companies). Here's a taster....

IMG_5612.jpeg.6cfa3c3a0dc2b6268f77339cc7f5043e.jpeg

• Like 2

Hello all,

Ive been away from TNM for a while but as it is Spooky Season I figured I’d come back to haunt you all.

I decided to take a gap year after graduating highschool as I was not entirely sure what to do with myself. So far this has been pretty enjoyable, I’ve gotten myself a part time job as a machinist running an ancient Southbend 10 inch lathe (in the UK I believe it would be a 5 inch) and have been very busy rebuilding an ancient loco I “found” in a barn in Ohio. The link, it be below.

In other news, I’ve taken up cooking with vague frequency. At the moment I am trying to master bread, which is a lot harder than it looks. The current dryness of Oklahoma makes the yeast I use somewhat reluctant to inflate. I await the day it rains to see if that will make a difference.

Ive also gotten involved in some full size preservation. A group has been formed in Tulsa with the aim of restoring Dierks Forest 207, a 1916 built Baldwin 2-6-2. It is about a mile down the road from my house, plinthed at the fairgrounds like so many American engines. Currently we are working on repainting it, with the eventual goal to have it removed to a different site where restoration to running order will commence. As engines go she’s in a sorry state, and if the cylinders are oval we intend to find another engine to restore, possibly Frisco 4500 (Baldwin 4-8-4 express passenger, preserved on the other side of town).

That’s me in the brown pants standing on top of the boiler in between putting coats of black on the steam dome.

IMG_7469.jpeg.a12d0cf1a8088f4e6db75cf2b43ba429.jpeg

hope everyone is doing well,

Douglas

PS: a photo of the lathe I now operate at work. It’s in pretty terrible condition (I had to rebuild the compound slide) but has its merits. Definitely a big step up from my Rivett at home.

IMG_7267.jpeg.a5ec112ffcb5f274f5dcc50c04eaecf5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

@Florence Locomotive Works Welcome back, young Padawan. Learning to cook? The Force is strong in you!

What kind of yeast are you using? Lukewarm water and some sugar might help improve things.

Also have a go at one of various soda breads (which use sodium bicarbonate and an acidic compound - like buttermilk - to act as the raising agent). And unlike with yeast based bread, soda breads don't require much in the way of kneading!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

What kind of yeast are you using? Lukewarm water and some sugar might help improve things.

Currently just standard self activating yeast in granulated form. I’ve tried the water, it seems to work a little but I think the dough could rise some more. The sugar, now that is a good idea…..