Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

One of our regular TNM posters got a loan car and complained most bitterly about how complicated the latest technology was.

I have now found, in Tokyo, something more appropriate for our fellow TNM

IMG_5478.jpeg.a1d21120dc6198c23bdaf581d6173bfa.jpeg

IMG_5532.jpeg.82be2c2991e6ce31c093e3902b51d00a.jpeg

Although you do need a Smartphone App

Frequently to be found coming along a London pavement at you, two teenagers on board, at 20mph.

What is this DPF devil-speak?  Far too many people bought diesels for a duty cycle they're not suited to (and I do too many short journeys in mine TBH).  I recall years ago a story of a customer bringing his Sierra Cosworth in to the dealer because it was "running a bit sluggish".  They handed it back at the end of the day, all sorted.  Let's just say it spent no time on the ramp but very, very quickly getting some miles under its belt.....

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I am old enough to remember the expression  'jap cr*p', which was followed by similar ideas about the inferiority of products made in the Republic of Korea and China and will no doubt be followed by others in the future. 

The difference, with cars at least, is that the Japanese took about 30 years to go from funny little cars that were reliable but rusted badly, to building cars that were normal, reliable and lasted as long as or longer than their European equivalents.

The Chinese motor industry has climbed the same learning curve in half the time.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, pH said:

Were Japanese bikes an instant success in the UK? I remember a Honda dealership opening locally in the early/mid 1960s and hearing of customer complaints about the quality of the bikes. One in particular was of a bike not making it to 1000 miles (mechanical problems, not accident!).

I don't know if they were an instant success as I was too young and unaware.   By the early '70s though I don't recall many 6th formers at school lusting after or even having Raliegh Wisps

1967-Raleigh-Wisp-05.jpg.1ff7d0845d4e86d6e6a9ae62a014c6af.jpg

But I do remember a strong interest in and a number of Honda SS50s and Yamaha FS1Es .....    There were a few Puch Maxis as well for the less well-healed.

image.png.824cb348694974821b0252af507e35e6.png

image.png.7bab263d02ff268f24a035ad8f7bb15b.png

When I left school in the early/mid '70s and bought my first motor cycle (due to circumstances I skipped the moped phase)  I recall there were Yamahas, Hondas, Suzukis etc but not a sniff of anything Made In Britain  in the local dealers.

If the term "Jap Crap" was actually deserved in the early years and not just a derogatory term used to complain about the "new-boys" then that makes the British Motorcycle Industry's failure to sit-up, take note and do something about the looming threat even more remarkable!

A good number of my aging motorcycle mates have various mopeds in their fleets mainly so they can participate in the Vintage Motor Cycle Club's moped runs.    I could be tempted by an SS50  even at this late stage.   FS1Es are just stupid money so I'll stick with the mighty RD200 to satisfy my need to lay down a trail of blue smoke.

Edited by PupCam
Removed rogue duplicated image at the 3rd attempt
  • Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

....after themselves being spray painted.

Dave

I did suggest at work today that if caught, their sentence should be to clean it all off.

With a toothbrush.

On an outside depot road.

In their underpants.

In February.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Though the programme was far more relevant to yer average person when the likes of William Woolard were running the show.

It was also, to the average person, eye-wateringly boring.  TG with Clarkson and pals attracted a huge audience who thought they had no interest in cars, but watched anyway.  It was entertainment.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

It was also, to the average person, eye-wateringly boring.  TG with Clarkson and pals attracted a huge audience who thought they had no interest in cars, but watched anyway.  It was entertainment.

Possibly so but Clarkson is still a pillock.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

So can you save money and just pee in the tank? (Or does it have to be specifically BP?)

I think the Ad Blue reservoirs have a special filler nozzle so perhaps not. Both our cars have petrol engines so we missed out on the watery urea experience. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

So's "The Only Way is Essex" - apparently**

(**Rumour has it that you do need an IQ below a "certain threshold" however....)

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

So's "The Only Way is Essex" - apparently**

(**Rumour has it that you do need an IQ below a "certain threshold" however....)

Broadcast media is supposed to be Entertaining and/or Informative.  Both is great, either is fine but TOWIE is neither.  Five seconds of it makes me want to purchase a Kalashnikov.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I did suggest at work today that if caught, their sentence should be to clean it all off.

With a his own toothbrush.

In their underpants.

In February.

Thats better.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

With a toothbrush.

In their underpants.

In February.

The idiot who in railway carriages

Scribbles on window panes. 

May only suffer to ride on a buffer

In parliamentary trains. 

W S Gilbert circa 1880

Some thing never change. 

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have come to the conclusion that cars are too clever for their own good.

The other thing that bothers me is the ever increasing technology in 'driver assist'.

Better to call it an enhancing driver complacency system, as I'm sure it actually erodes your driving skills.

During the late pestilence, I started reading Autocar again.  Their staff seemed to really like two cars - Final version of Mondeo, and Octavia (particularly Estate, and particularly the umbrella compartment).  What they really, really didn't seem to like was VW (group-wide)'s "driver assist" technology, on the grounds that it didn't work very well, was distracting at best, and had to be disabled every time the engine re-started (including a traffic-light stop/start).  My own experience is that VW's beepy-beepy bits are useful, but my only experience of automation was on a Volvo, and it scared me.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Though the programme was far more relevant to yer average person when the likes of William Woolard were running the show.

57 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Last Saturday (so its still easily available on iPlayer) the first edition of TG was re-broadcast on BBC Four.  The title music was the familiar tune, with stodgy graphics. It was then introduced by some bloke behind a desk, who rambled on a bit and then passed things over to Angela Rippon, without mentioning what the segment would be about.  Angela then did a piece while she drove her Capri down a motorway, rambling on about good and bad drivers, before pulling into a motorway services to interview a woman about the price of motorway meals.

At that point I gave up, it was so DULL. I'm surprised it lasted long enough to be rebooted by the CHM era!

Edited by Hroth
spelin
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, bbishop said:

To explain, Bruckner collects all the themes from the previous 80 minutes and the orchestra plays them together.  To re-iterate, only he could have done that.

I think I know what you mean though I might not get it as you intend, but if I do, then I recall Gotterdammerung, overall but the ending particularly...  I suppose that Bolero, Rhapsody in Blue, and even I Can See Clearly Now could also be seen to take the same idea.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Chris Snowdon said:

then I recall Gotterdammerung, overall but the ending particularly...  

Mrs Compound, Beatrice or Lexi as we may call her according to circumstance, says the end of Gotterdammerung is the best bit but can only be properly appreciated after sitting through the whole sixteen hours of the Ring Cycle.

And even Wotan, in the second act of the first full installment (Das Rheingold being but the prologue), says he is looking forward to the End. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Mrs Compound, Beatrice or Lexi as we may call her according to circumstance, says the end of Gotterdammerung is the best bit but can only be properly appreciated after sitting through the whole sixteen hours of the Ring Cycle.

And even Wotan, in the second act of the first full installment (Das Rheingold being but the prologue), says he is looking forward to the End. 

So the end of Gotterdammerung is appreciated because it means that you can go home at last for a nice cup of tea and to let your ears recover?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Frequently to be found coming along a London pavement at you, two teenagers on board, at 20mph.

What is this DPF devil-speak?  Far too many people bought diesels for a duty cycle they're not suited to (and I do too many short journeys in mine TBH).  I recall years ago a story of a customer bringing his Sierra Cosworth in to the dealer because it was "running a bit sluggish".  They handed it back at the end of the day, all sorted.  Let's just say it spent no time on the ramp but very, very quickly getting some miles under its belt.....

Only 20mph?  It is safer to walk on the road and dodge the buses.

Ah, the Sierra Cosworth...  Bought a couple of Scalextric ones for my nephews a few years ago...  Wanted one ever since watching Spender...  A neighbour had a Cavalier 2000 GSi...  Oh, so long ago...  A trip to Shetland revealed a local story about a trawlerman's M5 which had "gone astray" before mysteriously being found outside a Police Station two weeks later - absolutely everyone assumed that it was "found" with an extra few miles on the clock.

• Like 2

Just to throw back into the mix, thanks to bbishop for advice on how to listen to Bruckner - I for one am still a novice.

Back to opera, my introduction was - like many - Apocalyse Now, and then a joint Italian/Choral lesson where we had to sing "Nessun Dorma".  Later, a taster-session at the Barbican exposed my little brain to the Flying Dutchman, which was splendid.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, polybear said:

No need to be silly!  Elegoo have a soon-to-be-released FDM printer (the Orange-Storm Giga) -   at 800mmx800mmx1000mm build-size it  might just be big enough. 

AS is the case with every other 3D development, you can except Anycubic, Creality etc etc to follow suit at some point. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

"Composers" of Operas - the biggest frauds in the music  world.

All they do is take things like jingles from  TV commercials, change the words into a language that you can't understand and pass it off as their own work.

Case in point - that song that goes Doo doo be doo be , be doo be doo be dooo from "Carmen".   Turns out its from an Australian ad for a garage door  made way back in the 60's - the bloke obviously thought no one would remember it,  but I have!

(Warning - last line of ad  may trigger some here, discretion advised. ) 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

"Composers" of Operas - the biggest frauds in the music  world.

All they do is take things like jingles from  TV commercials, change the words into a language that you can't understand and pass it off as their own work.

Case in point - that song that goes Doo doo be doo be , be doo be doo be dooo from "Carmen".   Turns out its from an Australian ad for a garage door  made way back in the 60's - the bloke obviously thought no one would remember it,  but I have!

(Warning - last line of ad  may trigger some here, discretion advised. ) 

Bit of sound advice at the end "Get a garage first." A shed won't do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm sure that once upon a time, the Esso sign meant "happy motoring", before they reverted to advising putting a tiger in one's tank.  That 1980/90s tiger ad must be on the web somewhere...  I was able to find "the Ambassador's Reception" last week.  That one where Bendick's mints ripped-off the de Beers ad was another good one from the same era.