Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

In the 1970s and 1980s Philips built in the Netherlands what I suppose could be called the forerunner of the Mariakan museum. It was called the Evoluon  and contained exhibits, some interactive, of the latest in technological advancement and we took our boys several times. It was a superb place though eventually it closed (I don’t know when exactly) because, I understand, it became almost impossible to keep up with the pace of development as well as becoming increasingly expensive.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Gasoline direct injection engines can have quite high PM emissions in the smallest particle sizes, which tend to be the most hazardous for public health.

Funny how that gets overlooked when it comes to air pollution. 

Encourage us into 20 year old petrol cars, more CO2 released / km and we can the whole whole planet  quicker and add some PM 2.5 for good measure. 

Didn't make sense that my old, diesel powered car was cleaner than Mrs SM42's 15 year old petrol ( according to the V5)  but mine had to pay ULEZ fees.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... including the rather endearing Aibo - a robotic dog (which you could interact with) 

IMG_5506.jpeg.3897f20e47ff366579b6a2d4cec2bad0.jpeg

...snip...

If only that were a cat! Although I suspect (with the Japanese liking of cats) that there probably is one.

EDIT: There is one (see link below), although it does not have walking movement, it is somewhat of a "cuddle-cat". I had one but gave it to a lady at church that could not have a pet due to an un-caring landlord. She is quite happy with it. I had acquired a real cat (see the cat thread) and felt that Joyce would appreciate it; she does.

https://joyforall.com/products/companion-cats?variant=12931092676651

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

I’m loving all this Bruckner talk! My favourite symphony (we haven’t even mentioned his stunning choral works) is the slightly left-field choice of the unfinished ninth symphony. This was my introduction to Bruckner as a seventeen year old in a sultry Royal Albert Hall in the summer of 1999. I’d taken myself off to my first Prom attracted by the first half programme of the Good Friday Music from Wagner’s Parsifal and Charles Neidich playing Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto. They were both wonderful but I was blown away by the RPO and Daniele Gatti delivering a life-changing performance of Bruckner 9 in the second half. 

When I was studying for my Part 2 Finals for my Physics Masters, I found that the Brucknerian symphonies were perfect background music. They are now indelibly linked in my mind to my final few months at university, grappling with the combined mysteries of atmospheric physics and wedding planning, all of which ended very happily…

They are a bit like Marmite though - people do tend to love them or hate them!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good evening folks,

If the Three Musketeers is based on C, H and M, then I would spare the latter two but include C in the same footings as PMcG.

H, because he survived nearly writing himself off (although that may have been Darwin in action) and M, because of his all-round love of trains, planes, etc.

To me C has no redeeming qualities; perhaps it should have been him in a close encounter with Mr Reaper (Grim to his friends).

YMMV.

Cheers, Nigel.

Jeremy Clarkson took an unremarkable car magazine programme with nothing special in the ratings, and turned it into a hugely profitable world-wide brand. 

If that isn't being good at what he does, I don't know what WOULD qualify? 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

When E10 came in it stuffed the old kias fuel consumption, the car lost power and was hard to drive. until all the filters were changed and the garage ran some sort of cleaner through it. I

My old land Rover definitely does not have any sort of DPF, but the last Landrovers did. They had huge problems making it work as with all that space it wouldn't get hot enough. They ended up fitting it tight against the engine and exhaust manifold.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, polybear said:

This is a perfect example - the scrotes need their paws chopping off........

....after themselves being spray painted.

Dave

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Jeremy Clarkson took an unremarkable car magazine programme with nothing special in the ratings, and turned it into a hugely profitable world-wide brand. 

If that isn't being good at what he does, I don't know what WOULD qualify? 

Though the programme was far more relevant to yer average person when the likes of William Woolard were running the show.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

With which particular acid substance? 

Step up @Happy Hippo

Edited by BSW01
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

If only that were a cat! Although I suspect (with the Japanese liking of cats) that there probably is one.

EDIT: There is one (see link below), although it does not have walking movement, it is somewhat of a "cuddle-cat". I had one but gave it to a lady at church that could not have a pet due to an un-caring landlord. She is quite happy with it. I had acquired a real cat (see the cat thread) and felt that Joyce would appreciate it; she does.

https://joyforall.com/products/companion-cats?variant=12931092676651

Any chance they do Hippos?

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Well, that’s the UK for you. You can’t provide anything to the British public without a whole bunch of scrotes messing it up for everybody else. In Japan, the scooters (and the bicycles) are returned to the charging stations as requested and instructed.

Saw some graffiti today declaring Manutopea as Scrotetopia. Never a truer word said in jest. It was very well done though.

Edited by Winslow Boy