Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I had something of an epiphany in the early 90's. I had previously worked on ships built in Germany which had faults years and decades after delivery because of poor design or construction. I was then sent to Japan to stand by some ships building in Japan. The first ones were not fault free but it was notable that whenever a fault was identified they did a full analysis of what the fault was and why it had occurred and fed that back into the design and build processes. By hull three or four they were being floated out (on time), doing sea trials and going straight into service with no problems. The idea that you can't build something big and complicated like a ship without having teething problems is alien to Japanese and Korean people, if anything the Korean's took it up a step from Japan.

This sounds like downstream benefits of Deming's pronounced influence on post-war Japanese industry. Quality above quantity was less attractive in the West. 

• Like 3

And back to Bruckner.  I would recommend the Seventh as a starting point, then the Fourth, Fifth and Eighth.  The Fourth is three beautiful movements but then he lost his way in the last movement.  Some conductors can drive the orchestra through to the coda but others just get bogged down.  The Fifth has an extraordinary final movement when Bruckner combines sonata form, fugue and chorale coherently.  Only he could have done that.  

So to the Eighth.  It is naturally a long work (80 - 90 minutes) with at least half an hour for the third movement.  I think the conductor should take the finale at a steady pace because in the best performances she/he has slowed down a fraction into the coda.  Jochum belted it to get his recording onto one CD and blitzed the coda - CD in bin.  I have an awful feeling Celibidache might go in the opposite direction.  With this work, if you can't get the final two minutes correct, there is no point in starting.  To explain, Bruckner collects all the themes from the previous 80 minutes and the orchestra plays them together.  To re-iterate, only he could have done that.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, bbishop said:

And back to Bruckner.  I would recommend the Seventh as a starting point, then the Fourth, Fifth and Eighth.  The Fourth is three beautiful movements but then he lost his way in the last movement.

There is a film of me losing it in the last movement!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Apparently it's a Diesel Particulate Filter. I'm petrol too. 

Once upon a time it was particulates from combusting diesel fuel that were considered to be a problem so DPF units were fitted. The particulates get burned off when the filter gets hot. This doesn’t happen when diesels are used for short stop start journeys. If the DPF gets full, a light comes on requiring you to have a highish speed trip to get the DPF hot enough to empty and regenerate. More recent diesel cars have an AD-Blue system which injects a chemical into the exhaust to reduce Nitrogen oxides (NOx) being emitted. Ad-Blue is urea and water. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, SM42 said:

My understanding, from someone who makes them, was that the battery part of a hybrid was the cause. 

Andy

Only a few days ago there was the final report on the fire it stated clearly that the fire started in the DPF. The fact that the vehicle was a hybrid and the fire spreading to the batteries almost certainly added to conflagration does not alter the fact that the fire started in the DPF.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Is it true that you cannot enjoy Bruckner and Pannier tanks?

It's one or the other.

If you put the two together do you get a Compound. 

Jamie

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

This sounds like downstream benefits of Deming's pronounced influence on post-war Japanese industry. Quality above quantity was less attractive in the West. 

My father said when he was young (he was born in 1923) “Made in Japan” was considered to mean something was cheap,and nasty. 

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Is it true that you cannot enjoy Bruckner and Pannier tanks?

It's one or the other.

I love Pannier tanks - but only Belgian Pannier tanks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

There is a film of me losing it in the last movement!

That'll be when the tail starts twirling? 🤔

Irresponsible people need to know.... 

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My father said when he was young (he was born in 1923) “Made in Japan” was considered to mean something was cheap,and nasty. 

I am old enough to remember the expression  'jap cr*p', which was followed by similar ideas about the inferiority of products made in the Republic of Korea and China and will no doubt be followed by others in the future. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

The Fifth has an extraordinary final movement when Bruckner combines sonata form, fugue and chorale coherently. 

The last few minutes of the final movement of the Fifth always reminds me of the episode of "The World at War" about the final collapse of Nazi Germany.  

From about here:

It was used as mood music...

Edited by Hroth
more info