Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

Life in some of that accommodation could be "interesting" when it gets a bit lumpy.

Adrian

Funnily enough Jackie Fisher did that with Dreadnought.  He put the officers cabi s in the bow as they would be nearer to the bridge.  It did not go down well with the and all ithe dreadnoughts had officer country at the stern as it was more comfortable. 

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

When College Buddy's Momma died the Carer's most caring words were "Can you sign my timesheet for the whole night otherwise I won't get paid..."

The three main carers MiL has are great. Two of them are regular overnight carers and the other one does most of the short  daytime visits.  Some of the occasional replacements are not good at all.  MiL does not want to go to a residential home but in order to stay where she is will need more support. Fortunately for her, cost of care isn’t an issue but quality of care is. Aditi is very good at coping with her mother but we are nearly an hours drive away but Aditi’s parents chose to live near their other daughter rather than us when they decided to move from Nottingham.

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Talking models, my former employer donated a new model to IMO this week, one of their new 16,000TEU methanol fuelled container boats. It's interesting as it shows another evolution in box boat design with the accommodation right fwd and the uptakes right aft. The uptakes are also quite unusual. The bow is key to moving the accommodation fwd and remaining habitable for the crew. Nice bit of model making.

Can I see 2 Comms Satcom Domes (1 fwd, 1 aft) and TV Satcom Dome? 2 Satcom Domes for redundancy and for Latitudes when satellites are low on the horizon and view blocked by containers/ crew.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I recall reading about some research done by a university on the height of waves. It would appear that they have found them to be four times the size of what had been previously predicted. Unfortunately I can't remember the university's name nor where I read it I'm afraid. Possibly on line? If I remember I'll post it on here.

Interesting stuff, I'm off to read up, thanks.

It comes as no surprise to those that have experienced it.  I thought the laws of physics were on hold a couple of times, when you're on a bit of metal weight almost 200,000 tons and it is being thrown around literally like a cork, it truly is brown trouser time.  Then a year later you find the very same bit of metal has sunk with a lot of your friends and colleagues on board, due to same water misbehaving, it is incredibly sobering.

• Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, figworthy said:

I suppose that Swindon wasn't a country, even if some thought it might be.

Adrian

That the town that the Midland & South Western Junction ran through.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Back to the (first) Japanese steam locomotive. There are several examples of the Minicraft kit available such as here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296723334051?

I have two examples of this kit, one is unopened, it still has the cellophane wrapping on the box and the other is part built and painted. Apparently it was a standard product by Vulcan who produced many others for various railways. I noted that the I-o-M locos are very like those. At 1/45 scale it is very near to 0 scale and on 16.5mm track would represent 2' 6" gauge track.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

When College Buddy's Momma died the Carer's most caring words were "Can you sign my timesheet for the whole night otherwise I won't get paid..."

I can't decide what's worse about that.  Is it that the carer's immediate thought was their own remuneration, or that their employer was so unbelievably penny-pinching that they would cut the carer's pay - well below what is now minimum wage* - in such circumstances.   

*An old friend of Mrs N worked in a care home and although her husband also worked (in a not-well-paid NHS role) had to take a second job in Halfords to pay the bills.  Some of her stories about the skimping (and incompetence) by the home's management were quite incredible, such as discovering on Christmas Eve that they had bought almost no food for the residents for the next two days.  She and two other other colleagues had to grab what they could from a local convenience store, paid out of their own pockets, so that their residents had something vaguely special to eat on Christmas Day.  They then spent weeks trying to claim their expenses back........

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Funnily enough Jackie Fisher did that with Dreadnought.  He put the officers cabi s in the bow as they would be nearer to the bridge.  It did not go down well with the and all ithe dreadnoughts had officer country at the stern as it was more comfortable. 

Jamie

Didn't know that but think I understand Fisher's thinking (insofaras...).  Sure, the pointy-end is a bit loud and bouncy, and carries the legacy of being "the heads", but just looking at HMS Belfast for example, given that on a flag-ship the Admiral's cabin was underneath his own bridge, the idea that one's immediate responsibility was to one's task at hand must have had something to do with something?  Still true on boats where the commander's cabin is adjacent to the control room...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Talking models, my former employer donated a new model to IMO this week, one of their new 16,000TEU methanol fuelled container boats. It's interesting as it shows another evolution in box boat design with the accommodation right fwd and the uptakes right aft. The uptakes are also quite unusual. The bow is key to moving the accommodation fwd and remaining habitable for the crew. Nice bit of model making.

AM1.jpg

AM2.jpg

AM3.jpg

AM4.jpg

AM5.jpg

Splendid, and very interesting!  Many thanks.

• Like 1

I had my "sleep deprived" EEG this morning and the results were posted to my on-line account by the Doc.

"Impression:

This is a normal awake and asleep 40-min extended EEG."

So far so good 🙂

One thing of note was that the EEG technician commented on what a really neat job the surgeon had done on my noggin 😄

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Probably just some random member of the human race.  It seems to be what we do.

I realized that. My post was intended to be a bit of  TNM "humor". The (unwritten) rule is that the primary objective is to post the most idiotic response to another post. It's an exercise in deliberate misconstruction 😂

• Like 1