Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Even Uncle Fester?

Light-bulbs, energy-prices...  Just a thought...

Apparently BBC Inside Science this week is looking at how many lemons it would take to power the ISS, so I'll be listening out for that episode.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Light-bulbs, energy-prices...  Just a thought...

Apparently BBC Inside Science this week is looking at how many lemons it would take to power the ISS, so I'll be listening out for that episode.

It's not the getting up to ISS that bothers me, it's getting back down.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Chris Snowdon said:

That "Dawn Patrol" video was splendid.  Took me back to reading "Biggles" as a boy (and since - some of the 1930s and 1960s novels are a bit spicy for today!).  Am very curious - are those machines 7/8ths models, built and certified as microlights?  I heard something about (I think...) the Shuttleworth Collection flying that kite (so to speak) about 20 years ago and whilst it made sense to me then, I don't know what became of it.

No, they are all 1/3 scale models.  As Shuttleworth was mentioned, here is a picture showing one of the largest gatherings of Dawn Patrol aircraft which happened to be at Shuttleworth about 10 years ago.    If you look carefully you can see my uncovered Sopwith Triplane on the right-hand side at the back and those that know me might even be able to spot my ugly mug.   The Fokker DVII seen in the film is behind the Triplane and the Sopwith Pup "Camera Ship" is seen in the centre-left foreground.

DPGroupMedRes.jpg.00176d166c13b525fc4045c7d9b4664e.jpg

43 minutes ago, Chris Snowdon said:

PS, IIRC, the very first story is actually spicy enough:  Biggles, having lied about his age, is on his first day's training.  An older pilot tries to land, crashes, and burns to death.  The later WWI stories basically involve alcoholism ("lemonade" and "ginger beer" were both originally "whisky"), womanising ("Marie"), manly showing off (Biggles and Wilks having a camera-gun fight to show whether the Camel and SE5A were matched), and several stories in which Biggles clearly has a near-breakdown (including almost shooting Algy).  The tenderness shown by Biggles when Batson dies is also a memorable piece of writing.  All of which now seem to make the 1930s and 1960s stories seem a little tame.

I believe James Bigglesworth aka "Biggles" is a contraction of Biggleswade (a mile from Shuttleworth) and Shuttleworth although I can't now remember the exact nature of the connection of W.E.Johns with either although I suspect he was a friend of Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth, the founder of the collection.

• Like 2