Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oh, Panniers would be even worse, especially green Panniers, which in some places are actually banned from being portrayed in all but 'top shelf' publications only read by those of a seriously disturbed nature. 

Dave

Weeelllll, there's always this.....

20220719_154136.jpg.816e2ec9370434d1f39a92cf98bb54c2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

Stop it.  We want Dave in some sort of coherent state when we have the TNM meet up at the Stafford show this coming weekend.

For those that missed the info, it's Sunday 29 Sep at 1100, on the balcony outside the cafe. (Or in the cafe, if there's room, at 1102.)

Dave will be easily identifiable by his Barbour jacket, flat cap and whippet in tow.

Ian (Olddudders) will be dressed in his usual flamboyant style as a French impressionist painter whilst toting a huge camera.

I'll be hidden behind the mountain of cake wrappers.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

There are, however, some that are beyond the pale.

Dave

Yes apple 🍏 green is much a poorer lighter Green than Middle Chrome

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

15 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

For a containership a stern tube wear of 10-15mm between dry docking isn't a big deal, for a short stiff shaft it could result in shaft failure or even more expensive engine crankshaft failure. In LR part of my job was torsional vibration analysis (engine, flywheel, gearbox and/or clutch if fitted, power take off/in, shaft and propeller or generator) and every now and again I'd get a bulk carrier with a five cylinder engine, five blade prop and very short, extremely stiff shaft, I hated those jobs.

Cripes! That sounds like a lot of clearance. How many RPM do the props typically run? Has there been any consideration of eliminating the stern tube entirely?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Neil,

Stop it.  We want Dave in some sort of coherent state when we have the TNM meet up at the Stafford show this coming weekend.

For those that missed the info, it's Sunday 29 Sep at 1100, on the balcony outside the cafe. (Or in the cafe, if there's room, at 1102.)

Dave will be easily identifiable by his Barbour jacket, flat cap and whippet in tow.

Ian (Olddudders) will be dressed in his usual flamboyant style as a French impressionist painter whilst toting a huge camera.

Something tells me that you're going to need a lot of cake wrappers if you want to achieve complete hiddenous.

What's the code for those attending by Zoom. Asking for a friend.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Just for you:

20240923_144844.jpg.8cd3b5345fafc57063b8f2e4ebe36550.jpg

EEEK.....😱

Now Bear DOESN'T watch it (but I do know some of the Characters) but in tonight's Corrie a Guy called Roy Cropper gave what appeared to be one of these (in a Red Box) to a new-born rug-rat (who was in ITU) as a prezzie (though he did acknowledge to the Mother that "he wasn't quite old enough for it yet").

Poor Little S0d has no chance after a shock like that.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Sensible chap, Roy Cropper, his layout, seen quite a few years ago is based on the Woodhead route, so as well to get rid of the unwanted abomination in the red box.

I've not watched Corrie in decades but I understand Roy Cropper's character is, while still a bit of a stereotype, actually a very sympathetic representation of a railway enthusiast.  Yes he's completely unfashionable but he is shown as a kind and harmless individual who - as other residents of the Street have witnessed - after some very difficult periods of his life, has found his absorbing hobby to be a huge help to his mental health.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I've not watched Corrie in decades but I understand Roy Cropper's character is, while still a bit of a stereotype, actually a very sympathetic representation of a railway enthusiast.  Yes he's completely unfashionable but he is shown as a kind and harmless individual who - as other residents of the Street have witnessed - after some very difficult periods of his life, has found his absorbing hobby to be a huge help to his mental health.

Completely agree with what you say. Swbo used to watch ‘the street’ and occasionally I’d see it out of the corner of my eye.Some of the characters were amusing, the Duckworths and the old guy who’d make a half of mild last all night. Some of the others did seem to carry more than their fair share of baggage around with them. 

When we go out ‘supermarket’ shopping we always take the ‘Roy Cropper’ bag.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Neil,

And I.....won't be there!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

31 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

And I.....won't be there!

The way things stand, even if I left now it's not clear I'd make it on time 😄

Maybe HH could flash those 3D printed bits to the members as my sort of virtual presence.

BTW, I just binge watched Season One of "The Perfect Couple". Worth a shot if you like that sort of thing.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyID said:

...snip... BTW, I just binge watched Season One of "The Perfect Couple". Worth a shot if you like that sort of thing.

That reminds me of a visit to a friend's and his wife decided to watch THE CROWN; with nothing else to do at that time we all sat and binge-watched the first six episodes. The acting, scenery was all superb. Especially the guy doing Churchill.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Sensible chap, Roy Cropper, his layout, seen quite a few years ago is based on the Woodhead route, so as well to get rid of the unwanted abomination in the red box.

Good point - I guess it was a case of that or fly-tip it.....🤣

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Good point - I guess it was a case of that or fly-tip it.....🤣

Now Now my young bear well have none of that behaviour if you don't mind. There are plenty of 'respectable' companies who will be only to glad to put the poor thing out of its misery by smashing it against a brick wall.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

That reminds me of a visit to a friend's and his wife decided to watch THE CROWN; with nothing else to do at that time we all sat and binge-watched the first six episodes. The acting, scenery was all superb. Especially the guy doing Churchill.

Agreed - as long as you realise that it's a programme designed for entertainment and is not an historical documentary. Here in the UK there have been numerous newspaper articles about everything that's wrong with it . . . . . . . . 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1