Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Mornin' All!

Seeing as I've not seen a moving kettle all summer*, I'm off to Chester General this morning, to watch Sir Nigel Gresley pass through on a railtour from Holyhead to Cardiff.

Blink and its gone!

* Its still technically Summer, the equinox is still a few days off....

Hurrah!!!

SNG_Chester.jpg.672fb7c25d674e620e7ee2fbf40d98f1.jpg

It was only about 10 minutes late.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a certain terrorist organisation might have to revert to good old fashioned HF morse for comms.

Although it's rather easy to to DF and triangulate.

Nor would the use of semaphore or smoke signals be a good idea as it's rather visual for satellite or drone surveillance.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Looks like a certain terrorist organisation might have to revert to good old fashioned HF morse for comms.

Nor would the use of semaphore or smoke signals be a good idea as it's rather visual for satellite or drone surveillance.

Carrier Pigeons?

10/10 awarded for dastardly cunning - though I imagine a fair few innocents may have been casualties.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Both the 74xx  and the Class 25 Sulzer Type 2, are now fitted with sound decoders and are working.

The 74xx can be put back together once I've fitted a crew; well it would have been daft not to as I already had the cab off.

The Class 25 would benefit from another speaker from my stash and I really need to wire up all the lights:  I was worried I'd need to fit some resistors to the LEDs to prevent them going pop, but on close examination of the circuitry, they are already fitted with surface mounted resistors, so the problem does not arise.

However, I'm probably going to extend some of the factory fitted wiring as it will make it a a lot easier to wire up.

To assist, I've bought a bag of 2.5mm pitch PCB screw blocks, which saves a lot of soldering.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

once I've fitted a crew; well it would have been daft not to as I already had the cab off.

I have appealed for help on an appropriate thread for a similar problem. I had no difficulty removing the body from a Heljan 00 diesel (10800),  but there didn’t seem to be access to where a driver would be. I didn’t want to apply force to the cab moulding in case there is a hidden fixing. I read through the whole Heljan 10800 thread just in case!

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The Warsaw Uprising was co-ordinated by word of mouth and runners

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Carrier Pigeons?

10/10 awarded for dastardly cunning - though I imagine a fair few innocents may have been casualties.

Two children were killed and many other innocent people were maimed and blinded.

• Friendly/supportive 10

I did manage to find a few lines from William Topaz McGonagall on "The Scottish Inventors".

What a wondrous thing to have telly and penecillin
'Twer not for Baird and Alec Flemming, and the latter costs but a shilling.
And we shouldna forget Watt and Rankine
Or to get frae here to there we would be walking.

Then there was that instrument from hell
Invented by Alexander Graham Bell.
But I canna fault John McAdam he made the roads that once were bogs
For without him we'd be walking on roads made from Napier's logs.

Edited by AndyID
Typhoo
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 2

Hi jjb1970

Thanks for the picture of Bahia - Very new indeedy, and highly relevant to this topic because "Night Mail" includes, and always has included shipping (my big set is the Irish Mail, but I still don't know what happens to it after Holyhead).

Those big fairings on the focsles of new ships do look so strange, and yet they use exactly the same idea as those who used to sail cobles, with a tarp strung from the sprit to the mast..

Her bow looks a bit funny, though there seems to have been some return to "hatchet" bows recently.  Very interesting and thanks again

regards

cs

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I did manage to find a few lines from William Topaz McGonagall on "The Scottish Inventors".

What a wondrous thing to have telly and penecillin
'Twer not for Baird and Alec Flemming, and the latter costs costs but a shilling.
And we shouldna forget Watt and Rankine
Or to get frae here to there we would be walking.

Then there was that instrument from hell
Invented by Alexander Graham Bell.
But I canna fault John McAdam he made the roads that once were bogs
For without him we'd be walking on roads made from Napier's logs.

I find it sad that Rankine is largely forgotten, he was a brilliant man. The Rankine cycle is still the basis of steam power plant, he was a pioneer of the theory of heat engines.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Hi jjb1970

Thanks for the picture of Bahia - Very new indeedy, and highly relevant to this topic because "Night Mail" includes, and always has included shipping (my big set is the Irish Mail, but I still don't know what happens to it after Holyhead).

Those big fairings on the focsles of new ships do look so strange, and yet they use exactly the same idea as those who used to sail cobles, with a tarp strung from the sprit to the mast..

Her bow looks a bit funny, though there seems to have been some return to "hatchet" bows recently.  Very interesting and thanks again

regards

cs

Bow form is a very happening area of naval architecture, there has been a huge amount of work in recent decades which has led to very different designs.

The vertical stem bow style (sometimes called the axe bow after a proprietary design) is intended to be more efficient across a range of operational conditions and also reduces hull stress and makes ships more comfortable. Highly flared bow designs lead to slamming in heavy weather which is uncomfortable and not great for the hull. Modern practice is to go through waves rather than ride over them.

If you can be sure of operating at design point a more traditional design with a bulbous bow is more efficient,  but as you move off design point or enter heavy seas efficiency drops. Although more modern designs are less efficient at a nominal design point they have much better efficiency across a range of speed, draft and sea state conditions.

A more extreme alternative is the X bow, that was more about maintaining a 'stable' and comfortable platform for offshore vessels but has been applied to all sorts of ship types.

This is changing ship design in other ways. Some of the very newest big container ships have moved the accommodation right up to the bow as it's advantageous for container stowage, that's been made possible as newer bow designs have transformed hull behaviour at the pointy end.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

Have had a brainstorm.  A possible model RMS, if one has the enormous aounts of time, money and space necessary, would be a down-scaled conversion of the old Marcle Models SD 14.  Leaving out most of the 'tween-deck detail, reduction of scale of above-decks equipment, masking over the superstructure and adding a RO-RO ramp at the stern, and then it might just work...

I've been to a few meetings at a place which has an HO-scale vehicle-ferry in their collection of models, including a couple of goods trains on the rail-deck (tankers and Interferry vans).  If memory serves, then it really can't be that much more than about twelve feet long...

regards

cs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1