Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Very late and to AndyID - I can relate only too closely to your first sentence about "managing" engineers in the US and UK.  Cats and small children are so much easier.  I still have flashbacks about the former, whereas somehow I just accept that the latter will do their own thing...

Sorry to all - I can't work out how to reply to a particular posting because I'm useless with social media, which is no excuse when this is basically a CBB whose technology is older than I am.

ATB, all,

regards

cs

When you see a post you want to reply to** then just click on the "Quote" word at the end of that post; if there are several posts (often from different people) you want to reply to in a single post of your own then click on the "+" symbol at the end of each of those posts; you'll see a pop-up box appear in the bottom right of your screen.  When you click on that box all will be self-explanatory.

(**For the purposes of agreeing/trashing/taking the wee-wee out of/laughing at, or even just good 'ol @iL Dottore iD baiting......)

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I saw this yesterday, that's a lot of green.......

Ferry79.JPG

What's the purpose of the faired bow?  Is it to reduce aerodynamic drag - you are pushing a large tower block through the air - or to stop/lessen waves knocking containers off the stack?

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

What's the purpose of the faired bow?  Is it to reduce aerodynamic drag - you are pushing a large tower block through the air - or to stop/lessen waves knocking containers off the stack?

Yes, it's a wind deflector to reduce drag. They're becoming quite common on container ships as they're seen as 'low hanging fruit' to reduce emissions and improve efficiency ratings.

The industry is under a lot of pressure to reduce emissions, as well as customer demands (in turn driven by consumer demands for the end service or product) IMO has enacted several mandatory regulations, icluding the EEDI and EEXI (technical ratings for new and existing ships) and operational carbon intensity indicators.

A few years ago the savings from wind deflectors didn't justify the cost (they're not a new idea and some ships such as vehicle carriers have been doing aerodynamic optimization for years) but now every little helps as one of the supermarkets says. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

This is the rest of the ship, also to illustrate how size can be a slippery thing to visualise, the Bahia's sistership CMA CGM Sao Paulo alongside the Ever Glory last week. The Ever Glory is sister ship of that naughty young scamp the Ever Given and also very green. The Bahia and Sao Paulo are big ships (13,000TEU) but next to the Ever Glory the Sao Paulo looked quite small even though the linear dimensions might not look so different. Not sure if the photo really captures it but in the terminal the Glory felt much bigger. Which is fair enough as her cargo capacity is about 50% higher at about 20,500TEU.

Box592.JPG

Box542.jpg

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Very late and to AndyID - I can relate only too closely to your first sentence about "managing" engineers in the US and UK.  Cats and small children are so much easier.  I still have flashbacks about the former, whereas somehow I just accept that the latter will do their own thing...

Sorry to all - I can't work out how to reply to a particular posting because I'm useless with social media, which is no excuse when this is basically a CBB whose technology is older than I am.

ATB, all,

regards

cs

That's no real excuse as we have a certain PB who can do it, and is so proficient, he has the ability to quote in one thread and then post it on another!

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's no real excuse as we have a certain PB who can do it, and is so proficient, he has the ability to quote in one thread and then post it on another!

A classic victim of Big H’s mind games….along with symptons of severe cake deprivation…. 😢

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

25 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

This is the rest of the ship, also to illustrate how size can be a slippery thing to visualise, the Bahia's sistership CMA CGM Sao Paulo alongside the Ever Glory last week. The Ever Glory is sister ship of that naughty young scamp the Ever Given and also very green. The Bahia and Sao Paulo are big ships (13,000TEU) but next to the Ever Glory the Sao Paulo looked quite small even though the linear dimensions might not look so different. Not sure if the photo really captures it but in the terminal the Glory felt much bigger. Which is fair enough as her cargo capacity is about 50% higher at about 20,500TEU.

Box592.JPG

Box542.jpg

They also seem to be riding quite high even though they appear fully laiden. Is that just my ignorance showing for things that float or normal.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, polybear said:

A classic victim of Big H’s mind games….along with symptons of severe cake deprivation…. 😢

We do try to look after you Bear but I must admit we do have standards. Do you think it might be because you don't have a garage and the rest of us do.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

They also seem to be riding quite high even though they appear fully laiden. Is that just my ignorance showing for things that float or normal.

That's normal, container ships have very high freeboards to fit in plenty of below deck stowage. The deck boxes are stacked on hatch covers, on a ship like Ever Glory they might go 9 high above deck and another 9 high below. Draft doesn't change much on container ships in service, partly because they're always loaded unless going in/out of drydock or repositioning, and partly because they use ballast to keep immersion and trim optimal for hull efficiency.

• Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Gold

Mornin' All!

Seeing as I've not seen a moving kettle all summer*, I'm off to Chester General this morning, to watch Sir Nigel Gresley pass through on a railtour from Holyhead to Cardiff.

Blink and its gone!

* Its still technically Summer, the equinox is still a few days off....

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Always blaming HH, never taking ownership of your own failings....

Tut, tut! 

< The Bear could do better if he tried> (Skool Report)

ps "cake deprivation" is ALL the rage amongst those worried about cholesterol!

• Like 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Always blaming HH, never taking ownership of your own failings....

Tut, tut! 

< The Bear could do better if he tried> (Skool Report)

ps "cake deprivation" is ALL the rage amongst those worried about cholesterol!

I tell yah it's because he's not got a garage. That's what it is.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Mornin' All!

Seeing as I've not seen a moving kettle all summer*, I'm off to Chester General this morning, to watch Sir Nigel Gresley pass through on a railtour from Holyhead to Cardiff.

Blink and its gone!

* Its still technically Summer, the equinox is still a few days off....

That made me stop and think. Then I remembered seeing this chap arrive, take water and run-round. Paignton.

IHD_0075.jpeg.0e73557c66a020c41be1d3ee8ab4907c.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

That made me stop and think. Then I remembered seeing this chap arrive, take water and run-round. Paignton.

IHD_0075.jpeg.0e73557c66a020c41be1d3ee8ab4907c.jpeg

Something like that would be nicer, Holyhead-Cardiff isn't the natural stomping ground for an A4!

But beggars can't be choosers....

Just seen the clock, time to get out to catch a train to see a train!

🤪

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

The gasman has been, but needs to come back. 

His electronic gizmo for analysing combustion/  exhaust gases etc failed on him. 

So boiler service part done, all the cleaning jobs, and he will be back next week to finish off, hopefully with a full set of working eletronickery. 

Off to get the bounce trimmed now. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

11 hours ago, Chris Snowdon said:

how to reply to a particular posting

Highlight the text. A box appears saying Quote this Selection. Click in it.

Type the @ symbol and at least one relvant letter. A list of noms-de-Net will appear. Choose the right one.

Limit of my knowledge reached.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

We do try to look after you Bear but I must admit we do have standards. Do you think it might be because you don't have a garage and the rest of us do.

Ah, but does the Bear have a shed??

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

I have had enough of chemicals doing the en-suite cleaning and painting so I  thought instead of continuing with some scenery work for my trains I would fit decoders in a few I acquired recently. First one was a 21pin decoder in a tender. Usually the hardest bit is finding the location of the fixing screws , but not this time. The dummy pcb came out but the decoder wouldn’t go in. I looked nd one of the pins (the one for aux3 according to the internet) wasn’t bent it was split. I managed to squeeze  it back together , otherwise I was going to cut it off. All,worked nicely. I thought the next one was going to,be easy. An eight pin decoder in a tender. I was so confident  I even screwed the tender body back. However, dead as in dead, no loco found when programming. When i pulled the decoder out there was a black wire crossing the socket which must have prevented the decoder fitting properly. It does now. I have another steam loco with a 21 pin decoder to fit. Should be easy !
I am  saving the Heljan diesel until last. That is one of those “carefully detach handrails” before separating body from chassis. That usually means search carpet for parts after attempted  removal. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14