Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, br2975 said:

The wife warns me about pineapples whenever we go on a cruise.

My late father worked in Nigeria and came home by ship on furlough.  He and some other bachelor friends used to buy a crate of fresh pineapples before boarding.  The fruit was so juicy they were only allowed to eat them leaning over the stern rail as they sailed to avoid staining the deck. 

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Agreed - hence I avoid anything pineapple related.

I didn’t know about secret cruise codes. I don’t think I saw anything vaguely pineapple like on our recent cruise, even on the menu. It was to Iceland, perhaps they use a pickled sheep’s head instead of a tropical fruit?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Would you walk on your layout?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1024022185834926

I once drove (in a Renault Scenic ) over a baseboard I had constructed.. It was a ply and styrofoam constuction. No damage apart from a tyre tread pattern. I have made much less robust ones since, now that I no longer put the car in the garage. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And whilst on the subject of unofficial nicknames for pubs: the infamous Brains Trust (made up of of assorted disreputable RMWeb types) now meets at a pub near Waterloo (London, not Belgium) called The Duke of Sussex. Inevitably it is now referred to by the GCOGs (Grumpy Curmudgeonly Old Gits) of the BT as The Ginger Whinger.

I seem to remember meeting at that pub was the end of a team-building exercise some years ago.  It was not a surprise that my manager had chosen a pub; 4pm on a Friday was beer o'clock as far as she was concerned.  These days I work at the other end of the street.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I was a naughty boy at the Broccante (Car Boot) today,  I bought a flatiron. 

No not a Midland 0-6-4T but this

P9080021.JPG.57917f648da96bca4f0d80507625453e.JPG

A Joueff 12000,  I always liked them when I saw them. 

I then needed some change as I only had notes so had to go back and get  two coaches to go with it, they were only €4 each. 

P9080022.JPG.2a50ee02a189023fc86739fb53d72866.JPG

One of the coaches even has lights in it that work.  Emily will love this when she comes next. 

Jamie

Emily wants the lights working in the other coach as well. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah Pineapples....

4 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Re pineapples. They have a bit of metal with a ring attached.  Don't pull.

You can pull and hold it indefinitely should you wish, nothing will happen.

After a few minutes you get bored and throw it away, when the handle flies off is the time to duck.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I didn’t know about secret cruise codes. I don’t think I saw anything vaguely pineapple like on our recent cruise, even on the menu. It was to Iceland, perhaps they use a pickled sheep’s head instead of a tropical fruit?

Google is your friend..............or, with an upside down pineapple, on your next cruise, Google won't be your only 'friend'

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

There was a pub at the other end of Cranbook, near the station, called the Duke of Kent (or York or somewhere) which became known as the Duke of Death, due to less-than-optimum perceived hygiene standards. Nice. 

There used to be an Italian restaurant near here called Il somethingorother that was referred to in some quarters as Il Botulism for similar reasons.

Adrian

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Google is your friend..............or, with an upside down pineapple, on your next cruise, Google won't be your only 'friend'

Our next booked cruise is to Norway in November 2025. Also not pineapple or flamingo (I did Google cruise codes) territory. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 8

1 hour ago, figworthy said:

There used to be an Italian restaurant near here called Il somethingorother that was referred to in some quarters as Il Botulism for similar reasons.

Adrian

There's a "Texas Roadhouse" here but I have a habit of referring to it as "Texas Roadkill"

(It's actually quite good but very noisy.)

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, figworthy said:

Adrian

The Wisteria Tea Room in Crouch End ( Crew shond if you were posh)  was known to some of my acquaintances as the Listeria Tea Room. 

Despite this it was very nice. 

I don't think it exists now

Andy

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The Tyne Valley Line has some lovely stretches, it's a very under appreciated railway. Very good service too, it may not be the fastest service in the country but trains are pretty regular and it's a very usable service.

The other overlooked scenic gem in that part of the world is the Cumbrian Coast line which is stunning in places.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5