Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Less Oi! Oi! Oi! more like Ow! OW! OW!

Have you ever thought that Mother Nature was trying to tell us something when she stocked Aus with so many needlessly high-toxicity life forms?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

5 hours ago, enz said:

Less Oi! Oi! Oi! more like Ow! OW! OW!

Have you ever thought that Mother Nature was trying to tell us something when she stocked Aus with so many needlessly high-toxicity life forms?

I think the location is a clue.

Mind you I think the early colonists understood. If we must have another South Wales, it's probably best that it be as far away as possible.....

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

20 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I suspect anyone eating 10kgs of baked beans would eventually die of loneliness.

.... or get their own entry in government environment policy. Sort of like having their own Wikipedia page. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, enz said:

And that was just the immigrants!

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

With the exhibition at Welshpool starting at 1230 on Friday, gordon came over this morning for the last preparation session before we load up the car on Thursday.

Of course in the never ending improvement department, I finally got around to installing a water column next to the  water tank at the entrance to the colliery branch.  It is certainly not of obvious GWR parentage (perhaps it's of Midland origin!), and was gifted to me in a box of loot from the br2975 resources centre. It has been secured in place in its original ex-br2975 paint finish and Gordon had a bash at bedding it into the ballast and weeds.  It gives the  water tank more purpose than it's intended task of hiding the operating bits of the Cobalt point motor.

The rolling stock for the exhibition was sorted out, and all the wheels were cleaned:  I'll do the locos wheels between now and Thursday morning.

There are still a few adjustments and tweaks that are needed in the scenery department, but they are not essential. So if they don't get done it doesn't matter too much.

Ideally I'd spend the rest of the week doing all sorts of little jobs around the model, but other tasks get in the way like cleaning, shopping and gardening.

This afternoon's activities start with my cutting a table top in half for our next door neighbour, and then preparing some of the empty vegetable beds covered over to prevent the next tranche of weeds taking over.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

7 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I think the location is a clue.

Mind you I think the early colonists understood. If we must have another South Wales, it's probably best that it be as far away as possible.....

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, bbishop said:

So my breakfast preference has killed off this thread; even more effectively than sundry crocodiles, snakes and spiders.

If only you'd mentioned bacon.

I'm about to indulge in a G&T whilst sitting on the Terris.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, bbishop said:

As it's a Bank Holiday Monday, I splashed the boat out this morning.  Lettuce and tomato sandwich.

19 minutes ago, bbishop said:

So my breakfast preference has killed off this thread; even more effectively than sundry crocodiles, snakes and spiders.

It's not you, Bill (No, really!) but I think it's the lettuce part of your sandwich that did the "dirty deed".

Now, tomatoes are fine, absolutely nothing wrong with tomatoes.

But lettuce???

As a "Gentleman of Leisure" (a.k.a. a bachelor), you may not be aware, but one of the life changing (and traumatic) aspects of becoming paired with a female of the species is the mandatory dietary conversion to "salads" and by "salads" I don't mean those amazing pasta salads, the totally delicious egg-salad (aka "egg mayonnaise"), the exotic couscous  salad, or even the robust and manly potato salad. No, I mean The Lettuce Leaf Salad. Bereft of anything a respectable bloke would consider as "interesting", they are the price to pay for pre-nuptial/post-nuptial domestic harmony.

And it's not as though they are really that low calorie or healthy - by the time you've added salad dressing, croutons, slivers of chicken and a few seeds or nuts (very popular in salads, I'm led to understand), you might as well have had a burger (most commercial salad dressings are hugely calorific).

I'm not talking through my hat here, Bill. I did a proper survey of 20 of my Verein chums and all 20 emphatically and categorically stated that they had never voluntarily eaten a lettuce leaf salad before they got hitched.

Of course, lettuce can be very enjoyable indeed - as this French recipe shows: https://www.papillesetpupilles.fr/2012/05/petits-pois-a-la-francaise.html/

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, bbishop said:

You mentioned that dreaded substance "S*lad*.......😱

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Not my dad's favorite either. He called it "rabbit food".

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As a "Gentleman of Leisure" (a.k.a. a bachelor), you may not be aware, but one of the life changing (and traumatic) aspects of becoming paired with a female of the species is the mandatory dietary conversion to "salads"

Clearly I made an inspired choice 50 years ago. Deb's idea of the perfect salad was the piece of parsley you leave on the side of the plate after finishing your steak and chips. Sherry is rather more in the mould you identify, is always offering me tomatoes and cucumber with sandwiches or similar. And I do admit to eating toms and olives chez moi. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck rise at the mere thought... Despite my username I've never been very keen on 'that green stuff' - green veg, fine, a well balanced side salad, nice - but smotherings of lettuce - nope. I keep a selection of baby salad trays on the kitchen window sill and cut what I want from those. Fresh and no food miles - maybe food inches? And I know no-one's sneezed all over it or deluged it in chemicals. I look at the contents of salad dressings and reckon it'd be less calorific (and perhaps more 'interesting'?) to dowse the leaves in malt whiskey. 

Anyway, ION... I stayed at home today, away from the BH madness known as sitting in a traffic jam. I did some joinery work to a certain shunting puzzle layout to raise it off the floor. And conducted some scientific experiments - did some required research - OK, OK, I ran some trains. 

IMG_2494.JPG.559e9d9552481f4a69f40281e747a1ea.JPG

There was a little wheel slippage on the tightest parts of the points but generally everything worked well. We'll have to ignore the mix of prototypes and heritage! 

IMG_2495.JPG.3b4e53943af090158807b19cebb0fbfd.JPG

My repainted POWs. They need the lettering applied obviously but so far, so good. Another four are needed to make up the puzzle, two have been bought and are under construction. Two more may be converted from stocks if I can get the parts to repair/replace missing/damaged bits. 

Measurements taken and clearances checked. An extra few inches here and there would have been useful - so to speak... But I think it'll make an interesting 'plank'. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

...snip... My repainted POWs. They need the lettering applied obviously but so far, so good. ...snip...

Isn't that against the Geneva Convention?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Isn't that against the Geneva Convention?

That may need updating... They said they wanted to self-identify as blue, red, green, brown, with particular ethnic group IDs tattooed on their bodies. As a responsible plenipotentiary, I didn't think I had much choice... 

Edited by The White Rabbit
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

That may need updating... They said they wanted to self-identify as blue, red, green, brown, with particular ethnic group IDs tattooed on their bodies. As a responsible plenipotentiary, I didn't think I had much choice... 

A man of conviction. Have you considered running for high office.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I’ve been playing trains today, a did a little bit of shunting on my micro layout and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is the size of a box file and the buildings were all constructed from a downloadable kit and various thicknesses of cardboard. The traverser, is my own design, the current is transferred by the two rails that the bridge sits on, which are I turn connected to the power supply, by the two screws that fasten the traverser plate to the layout. There’s still a bit of weathering to do on the layout and of course I need to add a few figures too. The small wooden knob at the front, operates the point and changes the frog polarity. As I wanted this to be a hands free shunting layout, I’ve fitted Kadee couplings to the loco and trucks, the maximum number trucks that can be operated on the layout, due to the positioning of the operating magnets, is four. Two on the road nearest the camera and one each on the other two roads. 

A view across the yard. 

IMG_20240826_121204_Original.jpeg.5833842761a00993b6dfa6a84dddd301.jpeg

A view from under the bridge.

IMG_20240826_131030_Original.jpeg.f73e7013a53bf34cab07191939e6a625.jpeg

An overall view, showing the traverser table. The small controller is a MERG kit. 

IMG_20240826_182308_Original.jpeg.d4a9f8146fc2c41baf3b85a80363548e.jpeg

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, AndyID said:

images.jpg.c70d4f34870f9632d5dfe6c6272b4827.jpg

I think there used to be a version for babies with painful wind. I think it worked by turning lots of little farts into one big one. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9