Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

I have a radical solution to all those bemoaning built-in speed limiters whose alarm you can't turn-off

DRIVE AT THE £$&*# SPEED LIMIT!!!

And for the few seconds you need that extra bit of speed to make a safe and legal overtake, you can put up with a few pings.

If you you want your FREEDUM to drive like a cretin, then let's do away with ALL the safety features developed in the last 50 - 60 years and you can take your chances at Accident and Casualty.

Jeez, what is it about petrol fumes that really **** up some people's mental faculties?

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

If you you want your FREEDUM to drive like a cretin, then let's do away with ALL the safety features developed in the last 50 - 60 years and you can take your chances at Accident and Casualty.

You could just buy an older car from before the safety features were introduced. But people love the invulnerability of their padded armchair, which encourages them to drive faster. A modern classic car puts you in touch with the road better.

Having said that, when I am King, among a slew of new motoring laws I will be introducing (Owning a BMW being a capital crime, all 4X4 owners forced to drive around an offroad course once a year etc.) will be a 2-stage licence, a bit like the one for motorbikes. If you want to drive a moderately powerful car, you have to use a Caterham as your daily driver, for a year. By the end of this, you will either be a skilled driver, or wrapped around a tree. 😁

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

In a way you are lucky Brian. was told by the boss and no 1 son that I needed a hearing test.  I duly went for one and was told that my hearing was fine.  I am now bei g loudly accused of not listening g to a certain female voice on several occasions. 

Exactly. It's a common ailment: defective listening.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

their padded armchair

The seats in my car are really comfortable. That is why I bought it. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

We'll still get cars that give speed warnings because no manufacturer in their right mind would do a software version specifically for the UK. We'll just get the standard euro-compliant package.

Crikey! Steering wheel on the RHS like post office vans in the US.

Hands up if you are old enough to remember having to reverse over the pads to get the lights to change.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Jeez, what is it about petrol fumes that really **** up some people's mental faculties?

Maybe it's the highly carcinogenic benzene in the petrol. 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It's been one of those days. 

Plans thrown onto disarray as the car fix lasted about a mile. One fault has been resolved, but it appears it was masking another. 

Further work being done and hopefully it will be done tomorrow. 

We have a hire car to avoid the need to catch the early bus. 

The bus ride this morning was fun. 

There was a bus at tte stop without a driver when we arrived. 

Smack on time another bus arrived. 

The driver explained the other bus was there as the driver had no room to keep it at home. 

His driving style was interesting. 

Get up to 65kph, drop into neutral and coast, drop into 4th for hills and back into neutral just before the top. 

He also knew who he was picking up and where as he was stopping before the bus stop came into sight, all stops being on request. 

This was today's steed

20240801_091821.jpg.78196b84e90f1160955a18ddecee25a6.jpg

Another Autosan I think

When did you last see a manual bus?

20240801_083439.jpg.2e6a75c9e8f9459516b71ed353596912.jpg

All the mod cons on board 

At least he put his cigarette out when we boarded.

Andy

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

24 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

You could just buy an older car from before the safety features were introduced. But people love the invulnerability of their padded armchair, which encourages them to drive faster. A modern classic car puts you in touch with the road better.

. 😁

There's a lot of truth to that. Modern vehicles, particularly trucks and SUVs, insulate the driver so well that they are much less aware of their speed and road conditions. I am very aware of the difference between driving my 2022 pick-up (a GMC Canyon) and the little Fiat 124.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

I seem to recall a comment from Traffic Police Officer from many years ago, if there was a huge sharp spike in the middle of the steering wheel of every car, he would be out of work!!!!!!

Paul

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Mrs SM42 has politicanitis. 

Ask her a question and she'll answer one of her own that she prefers. 

She also has the ability to not hear me shouting at the top of my voice fr9m the next room to make myself heard but will readily hear any insult whispered within 30ft.

If I ever need help after falling off the loft ladder and being trapped under the stuffed alligator, I must remember to insult her before I ask for help. 

Andy

• Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Having said that, when I am King, among a slew of new motoring laws I will be introducing (Owning a BMW being a capital crime, all 4X4 owners forced to drive around an offroad course once a year etc.) will be a 2-stage licence, a bit like the one for motorbikes. If you want to drive a moderately powerful car, you have to use a Caterham as your daily driver, for a year. By the end of this, you will either be a skilled driver, or wrapped around a tree. 😁

You have omitted being able to drive with a trailer, especially if you have a Voldemort's portable bedroom, and should prove your proficiency at reversing.

Personally they ought to be able to reverse it around the off road course you mention.🤣

As an aside when I did some driving with the Met at Hendon, we were given a demo on the skid pan, where our instructor, having showed us going forward, them proceeded to do the same course in reverse!  It was highly educational, and I did try it as well, but could get nowhere near the instructors speed.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just turned the TV on and have been reminded that 80 years ago today the Warsaw Uprising began. 

Sirens were sounded at 5pm. ( as they are every year)

We heard a siren on the car radio, but as the volume was right down at the time we mistook it for a fire engine that never materialised. 

Quite how we forgot about this can only be put down to the ongoing car trouble taking our attention. 

Polska Walczaca!

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I have a radical solution to all those bemoaning built-in speed limiters whose alarm you can't turn-off

And for the few seconds you need that extra bit of speed to make a safe and legal overtake, you can put up with a few pings.

If you are driving at the speed limit and need a bit of extra speed top make a safe overtake of a slower vehicle in front of you, then it will not be legal as you will exceed the speed limit.🤣 

So you might not be able to overtake legally unless you have a clear section of road the length of Runway 09R at Heathrow.

That in the UK is asking a bit.

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

All railways have failures, and I'm aware that the W&LLR is now First Great Western, but perhaps some of the TOC's ought to take a lesson from this incident.

Now if it'd been the Midland they would've run a Tab behind the Bar......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you are driving at the speed limit and need a bit of extra speed top make a safe overtake of a slower vehicle in front of you, then it will not be legal as you will exceed the speed limit.🤣 

So you might not be able to overtake legally unless you have a clear section of road the length of Runway 09R at Heathrow.

That in the UK is asking a bit.

Not so long ago I'm told, by those who did the IAM course, that you could use your 10% + 2  margin that the police guidelines give. 

Note the word guideline

Andy

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Crikey! Steering wheel on the RHS like post office vans in the US.

Hands up if you are old enough to remember having to reverse over the pads to get the lights to change.

When late night cycling at times of almost zero traffic I could arrive at a set of lights at red and wait...and wait.... I realised that the detector cables buried in the tarmac didn't cover the full width of the carriageway, leaving a gap near the kerb where bikes usually went.  You had to back a few yards and look for the cable, indicated by a thin line of black sealant or tar.  I have also had to jump up and down on pads that failed to register the bike's weight. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Yesterday we took a trip on the W&LLR.

We opted for the quieter diesel service from Llanfair C down to Welshpool, but by the time it got to Cyfronyydd, where the up train, hauled by 'The Earl' passed us, things were ok but the loco crew were worried about temperatures and pressure in the torque converter.  We stopped for a few cooling off period, but at Welshpool,  the railway decided that it was best to fail the loco and cancel the return working.  They did not want it failing on golfa bank (1:29) on the return trip as it would cause no end of problems and would effectively block the line and prevent the down working from getting to Welshpool.

The problem was explained to the passengers and we would have to wait for the final steam hauled return service later on.

We were then all issued with free soft drinks from the station shop, and many apologies  were forthcoming.

There looked as if a few grumbles were about to start, so Nyda said in a loud voice:  'We're off to the pub (The Raven Inn, just outside the station gates) What time do you want us back?' 

Talk about the Pied Piper....  quite a few followed and a riot was averted.

When we got back the train had been shunted into the bay and the rear most pair of carriages detached. The Earl' arrived with a pair of coaches, again they'd obviously shed two coaches at Llanfair.  Everything was coupled up, and the guard(s) said just grab a seat in any coach.

Nyda, with an eye for comfort, bagged us two seats in the first class carriage!

We got back to Llanfair at around 1750.

All railways have failures, and I'm aware that the W&LLR is now First Great Western, but perhaps some of the TOC's ought to take a lesson from this incident.

The customers were told what had happened, what was going to happen, and the approximate time frame before it was sorted out.

We had a great time, and the sudden visit to the pub was a bonus!

On the way home we collected fish and chips and ate them in the garden and washed them down with some cider.

Pleased to read this - My pal CS was the boss there until last year, (he was probably firing Earl today as he's volunteering currently!) he has left a good legacy at a railway that was in need of some guidance previously.  He's a born leader.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, br2975 said:

She may be on the computer, upstairs in the boxroom, behind a firedoor, whilst I'm in the kitchen with the washing machine working - and I'm accused of ignoring her mumblings.

Ahh yes, I can be outside gardening and there will be a bellow from the house because the Queen cannot work out how to do something. The scary bit is that I usually hear and come running.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Before I boarded the train yesterday, I went to take some pictures of the signalling and associated point rodding at Llanfair.

I popped my head into the signal box and asked if I could take a picture of the lever frame.

This was not a problem, and I was also shown, and had demonstrated to me the unique Annett's key they use to unlock the lever frame at the carriage sheds.

a few hundred yards further down the line.  This was something I'd not seen before, so a learning experience.

We discussed various aspect of signaling on the W&LLR, and I was then invited to go around the outside of the box, take a couple of snaps of the rodding and signal wires where they exited the locking room, and then had the locking room unlocked so I could have a look and take some pictures in there as well.

I was also allowed to walk down to the inner home and the loop signal to take some pictures of that as well.

All this time Nyda had taken her seat in the train and was waiting with the guard, as he wanted to clip the tickets which I had in my possession. 

So, many thanks to Richard (another one) who was the Signalling Controller who made it all happen and my photo session was a lot more interesting.

I'll post some photos when I've got them off my phone.

Feedback will be errr fed back!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Before I retired I had a string of older cars or vans for the commute to work (bangernomics). One of the vehicles I had was a Bedford Rascal where the only thing between you and the accident was a thin sheet of metal and your legs were the crumple zone, that certainly made me concentrate on my driving.

• Like 13