Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Under present UK law, we could all be banged up for lengthy terms just for posting in the same thread as these criminal conspirators, no matter how noble and public-spirited their cause.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Under present UK law, we could all be banged up for lengthy terms just for posting in the same thread as these criminal conspirators, no matter how noble and public-spirited their cause.

It's OK, PB has a judge and a government minister in his pocket.

Well bits of them....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Patient flow navigator to me has a few possibilities as previous job titles/ roles. 

1. Receptionist

2. Porter

3. Concierge ( possibly door staff) . You know, that person who hangs around by the door with a clipboard asking if you know where you are going.

4. Maintenance. (Of the little signs dotted about to show you the way. )

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Might I be able to help? Honest JJB Home Security and Customer Engagement Services Ltd has an exciting new range of home security devices and tools for dealing with whinging customers at our state of the art Singapore showroom (the location of which must remain top secret).

From our best selling 'Furious 20' canon, through our mid-range 'Bofors Scroat Buster 40' through our top of the range 'Armageddon 76' we have solutions for all budgets. Worried about burglars and imbeciles turning up at the front desk with pointless and vexatious complaints about Police brutality? You'll never be bothered again if you buy our products, permanent solutions to stop you being bothered by idiots, that's smart solutions from the name you trust - JJB.

20240721_131244.jpg

20240721_131442.jpg

20240721_131351.jpg

They have a sparkling review from Kim Jong Un. "A very useful set of tools for dealing with political opponents customers. I can spread them all over the country, (the political opponents customers not the guns).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Patient flow navigator to me has a few possibilities as previous job titles/ roles. 

1. Receptionist

2. Porter

3. Concierge ( possibly door staff) . You know, that person who hangs around by the door with a clipboard asking if you know where you are going.

Andy

Vision Technician?

That’s a window cleaner

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And then the plod wonder why they have an image problem (which turns into a bigger problem as politicians get pressured into “doing something” about the police).

As the recent events with the Met and the South Yorkshire police have shown, sometimes the police are their own worst enemy.

If anything, this highlights one thing..................... when was the last time you wernt inside a police station enquiry office, or better still, when did you last find a police station where you could access a public enquiry office ?

Many of the policing stories regaled on this forum are historic and "of their day" and should not be taken as a reflection of modern day practices.

Despite what focus groups, armchair critics, keyboard warriors and the media may claim, only those who have been directly involved in policing will know that no organisation changes as rapidly, and continually as UK Policing plc.

However,

In a recent conversation with a serving, mid-service Sergeant, discussing the indiscretions of police officers continually featuring in the media, the Sergeant  said to a former colleague;

"I bet they don't do anything that didn't happen in your day ?"

To which the former colleague replied;

"In my day we never had mobile phones with cameras, WhatsApp, TikTok or Facebook"

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

PB wouldn’t have liked the sad tale we were told about a polar bear that arrived in Iceland some years ago. This one had drifted over from Greenland on an ice floe and was very hungry when reaching the Icelandic shore. It found itself among some sheep and horses and then was seen heading towards some children playing outside. A neighbour of the children shot the bear. 

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

They have a sparkling review from Kim Jong Un. "A very useful set of tools for dealing with political opponents customers. I can spread them all over the country, (the political opponents customers not the guns).

Dear Kim Jong Un is a splendid chap, salt of the earth, his hobby of sending balloons to drop sh*t on the south for a bit of harmless fun is a splendid past time that we should copy in blighty, send them floating off across the North Sea.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

1. Receptionist

2. Porter

Andy

I thought it would be someone who insets and removes catheters

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

My money's on receptionist, but it is indeed bull stuff.

A job ad (NHS England) revealed the tasks expected of a Patient Care Navigator:

• Regularly and frequently collect, verify, record, collate, store and report simple and complex information on bed availability, potential discharges, elective admissions and patients suitable for transfer throughout each shift.
  • Support ward teams to facilitate timely discharge of patients and transport bookings as required
  • Obtain the required range of data from local and wider Health Board sources on a frequent basis and also from other sources outside the Health Board.
  • Assist in the management of the admission of urgent patient referrals from GP’s and others, including emergency ambulance transport into hospital.
  • Ensure data is stored and shared through a variety of media including verbal communication, paper records, and internal and external electronic sources.
  • Actively contribute to daily capacity planning through managing and disseminating this extensive range of key communication and information.
  • Liaise with and provide support to ward sisters, on call managers, discharge lounge and a variety of nursing, medical, ambulance and other staff on a frequent basis

What used to be called a Ward Secretary, methinks.

However, you'll be pleased to learn that they: "encourage applications from those who consider themselves to have a disability and from those in the Armed Forces Community. Applicants are invited to apply in Welsh" but no bad lads need apply as "this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020"

Essential qualifications are "NVQ/ILM level 3" (which I found out are "qualifications are for junior and first-line managers").

Why a position that is essentially a secretarial role has to be a "manager" is beyond me....

Edited by iL Dottore
updated text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Why a position that is essentially a secretarial role has to be a "manager" is beyond me....

Secretaries do rather a lot of managing, they certainly did in establishments where I worked. Someone in a NVQ level 4 post wouid be expected to have had some prior experience of managerial tasks so presumably at NVQ3 as per the job description quoted. 
My qualification level is NVQ 7 , Aditi’s is NVQ 8 but I think the leap from 7 to 8 is significant. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

PB wouldn’t have liked the sad tale we were told about a polar bear that arrived in Iceland some years ago. This one had drifted over from Greenland on an ice floe and was very hungry when reaching the Icelandic shore. It found itself among some sheep and horses and then was seen heading towards some children playing outside. A neighbour of the children shot the bear. 

You're right....😢

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Dear Kim Jong Un is a splendid chap, salt of the earth, his hobby of sending balloons to drop sh*t on the south for a bit of harmless fun is a splendid past time that we should copy in blighty, send them floating off across the North Sea.

You're right - the EU do their utmost to sh1t on us cos' they're bad losers and have got the 'ump, so why not return the favour?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

A job ad (NHS England) revealed the tasks expected of a Patient Care Navigator:

What used to be called a Ward Secretary, methinks.

Quite possibly, in order to get him/herself taken seriously in negotiations with all those other departments and (potentially) self-important individuals, so as to be able to perform their job effectively. 

My wife’s own recent NHS experiences suggest that if some of these issues could be dealt with more promptly once a patient is on the point of being dischargeable, it would free-up a lot of much-needed ward space instead of keeping people hanging around unnecessarily for hours because one department won’t move themselves to communicate proactively with another. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I thought it would be someone who insets and removes catheters

Puts me in mind of an article read today, about Thames Water's weakening liquidity position - which turned out to be nothing to do with and imminent hosepipe ban.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4
  • Funny 11

12 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

They got it right with the 124, Italian flair and style with Japanese manufacturing expertise and quality. As opposed to the heinous Alfa Romeo Arna/Datsun Cherry Europe which combined Japanese flair and design with Italian manufacturing expertise and quality, no, I've no idea who ever thought that was a great idea.

12 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

They got it right with the 124, Italian flair and style with Japanese manufacturing expertise and quality. As opposed to the heinous Alfa Romeo Arna/Datsun Cherry Europe which combined Japanese flair and design with Italian manufacturing expertise and quality, no, I've no idea who ever thought that was a great idea.

No complaints here at all, ignoring any progressing difficulty about getting in and out. The funny thing is when I drive to town I see at least three Porsches but I've only ever seen one other 124.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, br2975 said:

If anything, this highlights one thing..................... when was the last time you wernt inside a police station enquiry office, or better still, when did you last find a police station where you could access a public enquiry office ?

Many of the policing stories regaled on this forum are historic and "of their day" and should not be taken as a reflection of modern day practices.

Despite what focus groups, armchair critics, keyboard warriors and the media may claim, only those who have been directly involved in policing will know that no organisation changes as rapidly, and continually as UK Policing plc.

However,

In a recent conversation with a serving, mid-service Sergeant, discussing the indiscretions of police officers continually featuring in the media, the Sergeant  said to a former colleague;

"I bet they don't do anything that didn't happen in your day ?"

To which the former colleague replied;

"In my day we never had mobile phones with cameras, WhatsApp, TikTok or Facebook"

Seen in this week's news - the government is promising legislation to restrict the practice of disregarding complaints of shop-lifting under £200. 

Legislation? Is there any legal basis for this? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Seen in this week's news - the government is promising legislation to restrict the practice of disregarding complaints of shop-lifting under £200. 

Legislation? Is there any legal basis for this? 

Any legal basis for not pursuing shoplifting offences where the loss is less than £200

In short, I doubt it.

However, governments of the day come up with 'ideas' such as this, which they foist upon the Home Office, the Lord Chanellor's Office, and the College of Policing.

These organisations, and others all get together, and by means of a magic spell, the 'idea' becomes 'policy' - not necessarily law, but 'policy'.

I could write a book on hare brained ideas that are foisted upon the police and the judiciary, none of which are ever accompanied by the increase in funding, or  increase in staffing levels that are necessary to make the 'idea' work.

In a year or two, the idea / policy is quietly moved onto the back burner, in order to make way for the next great project.

If the police are as incompetent as we are led to believe, why are the prisons full causing  the new government  to release prisoners early to ease prison overcrowding ?.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:
  1. Regularly and frequently collect, verify, record, collate, store and report simple and complex information on bed availability, potential discharges, elective admissions and patients suitable for transfer throughout each shift.
  2. Support ward teams to facilitate timely discharge of patients and transport bookings as required
  3. Obtain the required range of data from local and wider Health Board sources on a frequent basis and also from other sources outside the Health Board.
  4. Assist in the management of the admission of urgent patient referrals from GP’s and others, including emergency ambulance transport into hospital.
  5. Ensure data is stored and shared through a variety of media including verbal communication, paper records, and internal and external electronic sources.
  6. Actively contribute to daily capacity planning through managing and disseminating this extensive range of key communication and information.
  7. Liaise with and provide support to ward sisters, on call managers, discharge lounge and a variety of nursing, medical, ambulance and other staff on a frequent basis

So, to translate out of management-speak:

1. Watch and listen to people then write stuff down.
  2. Write legibly or type carefully.
  3. Watch and listen to people then write stuff down.
  4. Watch and listen to people then write stuff down.
  5. Watch and listen to people, write stuff down and speak clearly.
  6. Watch and listen to people and speak clearly.
  7. Watch and listen to people and speak clearly.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned a young woman who travels on my regular train home who talks entirely in management speak, but despite overhearing her for perhaps an hour or so in total, I still couldn't work out what her employer actually did.  Reading the the NHS job description above, it's possible we've just arrived at the answer.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 21/07/2024 at 17:28, Dave Hunt said:

Then there's the wheel flanges - I once spoke to a chap whose reason, or one of them, for changing to S7 was that he was building a model of, IIRC, a GN Atlantic and in 0F would have to adjust the wheelbase because the driving wheel flanges would clash.

On 21/07/2024 at 18:42, iL Dottore said:

That I didn’t know.

And in 4mm and any other non-scale standards.   Guy Williams mentions in "More 4mm Engines" that the full-size even had reduced flange sizes to cope with the closeness of the drivers. 

Of course the obvious question would be why were they so close but we can assume there was a very good, logical reason simply because they were produced by a proper railway.    

As I don't have access to the necessary detail drawings of GN wheel standards I can't prove or disprove the claim but it certainly sounds feasible!

On 22/07/2024 at 18:05, Dave Hunt said:

Thanks Bear but I took the Golf into the local garage this morning and they can get a replacement glass OK. They aren't ripoff merchants so the cost should be bearable.

Dave

I see what you did there!

10 hours ago, SM42 said:

1. Receptionist

2. Porter

Andy

Not round here.  The only thing they do for navigation seems to be impede it and at the GP's, they normally do this by locking the entrance door and make you shout into an intercom the reason for you darkening their door.

Bitter and twisted?  Moi?

• Friendly/supportive 15

51 minutes ago, PupCam said:

And in 4mm and any other non-scale standards.   Guy Williams mentions in "More 4mm Engines" that the full-size even had reduced flange sizes to cope with the closeness of the drivers. 

Of course the obvious question would be why were they so close but we can assume there was a very good, logical reason simply because they were produced by a proper railway.    

As I don't have access to the necessary detail drawings of GN wheel standards I can't prove or disprove the claim but it certainly sounds feasible!

I see what you did there!

Not round here.  The only thing they do for navigation seems to be impede it and at the GP's, they normally do this by locking the entrance door and make you shout into an intercom the reason for you darkening their door.

Bitter and twisted?  Moi?

Yes but just think of all the approving nods from the audience, there's always any audience, when Puppers Senior lists all his ailments over the intercom.

Of course you could always shock them by saying they invited you or even worse you have an, fanfare please, Appointment.

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2024 at 23:35, br2975 said:

I am but a simple man, who studied English to 'A' Level standard (as it was then).

But, even I get confused even irritated by either misuse of the English language, or worse 'new fangled' descriptions based upon 'The King's New Clothes"

Tonight whilst perusing what must be the most abysmal news outlet in Christendom, "Wales Online" - I happened on the sorry tale of three 'ladies' from South Wales whose £5,000 Tui package holiday was cancelled due to last weeks worldwide computer issues.

"Tammy, who works as a patient flow navigator......" beggared just one question...........................

What overpaid imbecile is draining the NHS budget thinking up job titles like this ?

From my viewing of Barnsley A&E it would appear to be the person with enough personality or large enough crowbar to open ward doors so the ill/damaged patient gets a bed and attention and does not spend the next twelve hours on a trolley in A&E. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, br2975 said:

Any legal basis for not pursuing shoplifting offences where the loss is less than £200

In short, I doubt it.

However, governments of the day come up with 'ideas' such as this, which they foist upon the Home Office, the Lord Chanellor's Office, and the College of Policing.

These organisations, and others all get together, and by means of a magic spell, the 'idea' becomes 'policy' - not necessarily law, but 'policy'.

I could write a book on hare brained ideas that are foisted upon the police and the judiciary, none of which are ever accompanied by the increase in funding, or  increase in staffing levels that are necessary to make the 'idea' work.

In a year or two, the idea / policy is quietly moved onto the back burner, in order to make way for the next great project.

If the police are as incompetent as we are led to believe, why are the prisons full causing  the new government  to release prisoners early to ease prison overcrowding ?.

It always struck me as madness to cut police numbers when the population was expanding, I have no details to support this idea but surely the percentage of wronguns remains the same?

• Agree 9