Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

a tip run tomorrow. 

We have just booked a slot for a tip visit at lunchtime. I reserved entry for Aditi’s car as mine has started to be tidied for our trip to Southampton. Usually Aditi suggests putting rubbish in the Evoque. I don’t know why she doesn’t like rubbish in hers, I think I have mentioned before, her car has moss growing on it. 

• Like 9
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

At the risk of downgrading this forum, I thought that I would drag the subject back to model railways.  Hence, here are a few piccies of the shearlegs I am working on for my layout:

IMG_0480.jpeg.f87902f199068245e6437e9492aa1d63.jpeg

IMG_0486.jpeg.8cf35b6776b3a9a2e063c80106e1c170.jpeg

IMG_0483.jpeg.b2953f1cf2454999be8c8513ee92772b.jpeg

More details when it’s finished.

Dave

Just as long as we keep LNER, OO, RTR and EM out of it, we must maintain standards after all,

Ayatollah Al JJB,  supreme leader of the P4 Taliban

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Simply because I am getting fed up with bl**dy politics Bill.

Dave

Then you must be tired of life, Dave. For it is said that all of life is politics.

What you eat, what you wear, what railway company you model are - when you come down to it - political choices…

But I agree, “party politics” can get a bit tedious….

Edited by iL Dottore
Wording
  • Like 7
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We have just booked a slot for a tip visit at lunchtime. I reserved entry for Aditi’s car as mine has started to be tidied for our trip to Southampton. Usually Aditi suggests putting rubbish in the Evoque. I don’t know why she doesn’t like rubbish in hers, I think I have mentioned before, her car has moss growing on it. 

Don’t try to either understand it or fight it, Tony, it’s a “woman thing” a total alien mystery to us poor s0ds with only one X chromosome…

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

“In a Utopia, they would be under a legal obligation to broadcast no word (by either interviewer or interviewee) that was not demonstrably true.”

Then the people of Utopia would move to other sources of news, because the verification process would take so long the “word” wouldn’t be “news” any more. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

At the risk of downgrading this forum, I thought that I would drag the subject back to model railways.  …

I do understand and sympathise with the sentiment, but (though still comparatively a newcomer) I had thought the main object of TNM was to be a forum where railway modellers could have a bit of a chunter about other stuff than railway modelling. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the problem is less discussion of politics than the way it just drags attention to the sorry state of things. I find political discussion interesting and enjoyable, but I despise party politics and the gleeful miserabilism of the media.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

When you think about it, “politics” is all about philosophy. How the world is viewed; how problems should be addressed and (ideally) resolved; what constitutes success and what constitutes failure; what is reward and what is punishment.

For example: being stuck in the NRM in York with nothing to eat but LDC, curly fries and frozen pizza may be a punishment for some and a reward for others.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

15 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

When you think about it, “politics” is all about philosophy. How the world is viewed; how problems should be addressed and (ideally) resolved; what constitutes success and what constitutes failure; what is reward and what is punishment.

For example: being stuck in the NRM in York with nothing to eat but LDC, curly fries and frozen pizza may be a punishment for some and a reward for others.

I would draw the line at the curly fries and frozen pizza. 

I visited NRM earlier this year and thought the catering was poor, to be charitable 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

I do understand and sympathise with the sentiment, but (though still comparatively a newcomer) I had thought the main object of TNM was to be a forum where railway modellers could have a bit of a chunter about other stuff than railway modelling. 

Jamie and I set up TNM as the antidote to ERs where chuntering took place, but trains both real and model were effectively persona non grata.  Subjects do get bounced around and once the TNM Dogs of War have harried a subject, we move on, yet can turn back and revisit a subject, sometimes more than once.  We also can get various threads running concurrently.

The only things we don't mention are the  Voldemorts (who cannot be specifically named, as they are a protected species).

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

That depends on whether you mean that a slab of  pizza which was still frozen being served up.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

The shearlegs are a bit of a TNM team effort. The top casting holding everything together at the top was 3D printed by a pal of Jamie’s who asked him to make one for me, the main dimensions were taken by Jamie from the remains of one at Barrow Hill, and the timbers for the legs were cut for me by HH. All I had to do with the timbers was remove the offensive lettering pertaining to the Great Wavy Railway  which some graffiti artist had applied then smooth them to a finish more acceptable to a decent railway company. The gear wheels were laser cut by Tricky from my 

dimensions. The rest is down to me.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

That depends on whether you mean that a slab of  pizza which was still frozen being served up.

I can say without fear of contraception that Sherry and I enjoy Dr Oetker frozen pizzas, 13 mins at 220 deg in the micro-air, while I have zero interest in LDC, or most other sweet things beyond a Danish pastry. And I am not often drawn to museums of anything.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Willie Whizz said:

TNM was started by HH as an alternative to another forum where reference to railways and modelling were forbidden. Hence its rapid growth and following.

Dave

Edit: I see that I was. beaten to it by HH.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Then you must be tired of life, Dave. For it is said that all of life is politics.

That must be why I often feel suicidal.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

It's also been said that he is tired of London is tired of life. Which demonstrates that such statements are bunkum. I for one have wearied of London rather quickly whenever I've been there but am by no means weary of life generally.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

That must be why I often feel suicidal.

Dave

When you feel you can't sink any lower, I can always lend you a couple of panniers.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve probably mentioned this before but I stopped reading any news in May 2022.

As I don’t ‘do’ social media, I can inhabit a happy little bubble where I potter through life blissfully unaware of daily political wrangling and all of the associated disputatious discussions.

I do occasionally seek out specific pieces of information that I need for financial planning decisions but it’s relatively easy to do this in a focussed way. Every couple of months or so, I will flick through a copy of the Economist magazine just to reassure myself that the world is continuing to revolve in its usual merry fashion.

I can highly recommend this approach for those who are wearisome (and I do appreciate that this extreme measure is not appropriate for everyone - for many years, I was in a job where an awareness of current affairs was a necessary evil).

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I can help, for a small consideration I can supply arousing literature to excite red blooded males looking for satisfaction, images of naked Bulleid Pacific and scantily clad pannier tanks. For a small surcharge we have hard core material, class 40's being cut up and 4VEPs in blue/grey livery, phoaarrr!!!🫣🤪 All delivered in plain brown envelopes.

However, before anyone asks, we don't do extreme filth for deviants, so go somewhere else if you want pictures of Flying Scotsman or the duck.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Don’t try to either understand it or fight it, Tony, it’s a “woman thing” a total alien mystery to us poor s0ds with only one X chromosome…

The thing I don't understand is why the councils still persist with the blxxdy silly idea of having to book slots at the tips to dispose of rubbish.     

I've said it before and I'll say it again; It's in the interests of the councils to make the correct disposal of waste at the proper sites the easiest option for everyone, not throwing obstacles like going on line and down loading flaming Apps.     The next thing will be you'll need a Doctor's note to go with it (good luck with getting one of those!)   Anyway, if using the tip isn't the easiest form of disposal the lower forms of life (who just don give a  ....) will just start practicing for a Gold Medal in the Fly-Tipping event.     It really isn't rocket science as a number of RMWebbers (myself included) can confirm!

My biggest concern wouldn't have anything to do with the food.  It would be what on earth have they done to the museum now!     

Just like so many others which have been totally wrecked by modern "museum thinking".

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, my recent visit confirmed that - it is now pants with poor grub.  In fact I was disgusted with the whole thing.

ION It poureth down, so the afternoon will be either pottering on the layout, or pottering with bike parts.  Or both.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

If you want a surefire  "stable"government the answer would be to go full dictator. There is very little political infighting or  political uncertaintly in China, Russia or  North Korea etc.

Um.  I don't recall any of those countries having an even remotely democratic election, never mind PR.

Anyway Dave's right, pollyticks are rather boring, lets talk about trains. And parrots and budgies.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Just as long as we keep LNER, OO, RTR and EM out of it, we must maintain standards after all,

Ayatollah Al JJB,  supreme leader of the P4 Taliban

I hope that this nirvana has a place for O gauge in both fine scale and S7 as long as engines is red. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Willie Whizz said:

I thought it was for dastardly Hippo's to make Bear look silly by posting the right answers in the wrong place.....

39 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I can say without fear of contraception that Sherry and I enjoy Dr Oetker frozen pizzas, 13 mins at 220 deg in the micro-air, while I have zero interest in LDC, or most other sweet things beyond a Danish pastry.

You, Sir are a true aficionado of true culinary genius.  Don't worry too much about the cake thing though - just send it to Bear instead.

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I hope that this nirvana has a place for O gauge in both fine scale and S7 as long as engines is red. 

Jamie

image.png.c74299d9a38235ab4f166d5da4244400.png

There we go, especially for you, courtesy of Ellis Clark.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5