Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Good afternoon HH,

You are too kind, and by way of balance/interest I must confess to owning locos from the dry side (ex-GER) and the products of Derby, Crewe and Horwich.

Plus some BR standards, although mostly SR and WR allocated ones 😀.

Edit: I forgot about the ROD 2-8-0 as well. Although it is the Swindonised version, 30xx.

However, I have now renumbered a Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4T into a SR allocated example - 42075, as allocated to Brighton and Dover before it returned home.

Cheers, Nigel.

Edited by GMKAT7
Added info.
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening from a sunny Charente.  A visit to a craft fair this morning then this afternoon we attended a 49th birthday party for a French friend. it was held in a Hunt hut in the middle of a forest.  The crowd was mainly 30 and 40. somethings and their offspring.  Mostly French.  We had a great time.  The kids all played peaceably in the surrounding woods, much food was brought and eaten plus various liquids.  We are sort of honorary grandparents to Seb's adopted son Oliver.  Holly's mum, Jo, is a Brit whose husband abandoned her in France and has since died.  They are a lovely family.in between times I also succeeded in getting my new laptop out of S mode and now loading stuff on.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A good day of stuff getting done  here. 

Mrs SM42 has sorted the kitchen cupboards and generally tidied up and cleaned.

I've cut the lawn, mended the hedge trimmer cable I snagged last week, painted two fence panels ( 4 more to go, I've done the two you can see out of the window first and there's stuff to move to get at the others,) the bikes have been got out of the shed, looked over, lubricated and tyres pumped up ready for tomorrow, some work on preserving some of the wooden items about the garden has been done, the patio has been swept and some rearranging of the West Wing has taken place. 

The fence painting was done in just underpants and a hat.

It's far too warm to put on trousers and I didn't want to mess up my shorts.

The garden is quite  shielded from the neigjbours over that side you'll be glad to know. They shouldn't be looking anyway 

Semi naked painting is a different experience, but it weren't half draughty up the side entrance

I didn't get to the tip, but there is a pile of stuff  ready for Tuesday when I've got a day off work. 

This evening me an Mrs SM42 have done something we haven't done for a while  

( stop making your own jokes, no sniggering at the back) 

We sat in the garden and chatted. ( I'd put some clothes on by this point) 

It been at least two years since we've had the chance,  time  and weather to sit out there together.  

Eton mess and coffee was served. 

A beer may happen later, or even a sneaky vodka. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Semi naked painting is a different experience, but it weren't half draughty up the side entrance

That is so close to a euphemism it's unbelievable.

• Agree 8
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

A good day of stuff getting done  here. 

Mrs SM42 has sorted the kitchen cupboards and generally tidied up and cleaned.

I've cut the lawn, mended the hedge trimmer cable I snagged last week, painted two fence panels ( 4 more to go, I've done the two you can see out of the window first and there's stuff to move to get at the others,) the bikes have been got out of the shed, looked over, lubricated and tyres pumped up ready for tomorrow, some work on preserving some of the wooden items about the garden has been done, the patio has been swept and some rearranging of the West Wing has taken place. 

It's far too warm to put on trousers and I didn't want to mess up my shorts.

The garden is quite  shielded from the neigjbours over that side you'll be glad to know. They shouldn't be looking anyway 

I didn't get to the tip, but there is a pile of stuff  ready for Tuesday when I've got a day off work. 

This evening me an Mrs SM42 have done something we haven't done for a while  

( stop making your own jokes, no sniggering at the back) 

We sat in the garden and chatted. ( I'd put some clothes on by this point) 

It been at least two years since we've had the chance,  time  and weather to sit out there together.  

Eton mess and coffee was served. 

A beer may happen later, or even a sneaky vodka. 

Andy

By gum young man there's no stopping you is there. We're all these tasks 'necessary' or was it that blast of cold air through the neither regions. Perhaps that's the answer to improving Britain's productivity a blast of cold air up the proverbials.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

By gum young man there's no stopping you is there. We're all these tasks 'necessary' or was it that blast of cold air through the neither regions. Perhaps that's the answer to improving Britain's productivity a blast of cold air up the proverbials.

Oh yes they were. 

Still loads left though

There was a warm breeze, funneled between the houses into a howling gale, keeping things cool. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

There was a warm breeze, funneled between the houses into a howling gale, keeping things cool. 

You could be the next James Dyson entrepreneur with skills like that. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

4 hours ago, SM42 said:

the bikes have been got out of the shed, looked over, lubricated and tyres pumped up ready for tomorrow,

You should have let me know you were showing-up for this. https://www.ironman.com/im703-coeur-dalene

It's going to be a bit toasty here tomorrow and we won't even attempt to go into town. The cycle race takes over two of the four highway lanes from here. We did take the Fiat into town today with the roof down, and jolly nice it was too. But why does everyone feel obliged to overtake me 😀

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I was up a bit earlier than usual as we had tickets for a 10:30 talk in Stratford and the trip is an hour plus in good conditions. We picked a free parking lot a distance away.  The talk was on their Hedda Gabbler with the star, the fellow that did the script and a moderator from the Grauniad.  

Return trip was a little worse.  We turned on the telephone maps and noted a jam just ahead of us. Not sure exactly, but the was a pickup at about 30 degrees from the fence and his trailer at right angles, blocking the ramp (slip road) and the next lane.  Closer to home there was another slow down right to our exit. No visible reason.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Despite being brung-up to only appreciate the finer points of railway equipment that ran in Scotland in the 50's and early 60's I confess I do have something with the name "Neath Abbey" on it and the letters G and W on the tender. It is an 00 model that I bought in the US sometime during the last century. the detail is actually very good. It came in a set with three Cornish Riviera coaches.

It was made by Life-Like. I was wondering if it was ever sold in the UK.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, SM42 said:

You only did it so Mrs SM would feel compelled to oil you up with Factor 50, didn't you?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

46 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Despite being brung-up to only appreciate the finer points of railway equipment that ran in Scotland in the 50's and early 60's I confess I do have something with the name "Neath Abbey" on it and the letters G and W on the tender. It is an 00 model that I bought in the US sometime during the last century. the detail is actually very good. It came in a set with three Cornish Riviera coaches.

It was made by Life-Like. I was wondering if it was ever sold in the UK.

Although I wasn’t “into” trains when I lived in the US, I was aware - through the media and - especially - Christmas TV commercials, of the big names like Walthers, Lionel and Athearn, but I’d never heard of Life-Like.

Seems like it’s part of the Walthers empire (or was). The dedicated fan page https://tycotrain.tripod.com/lifelikemodeltrainscollectorsresource/index.html makes no mention of such a set. Any chance of a picture or two.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Although I wasn’t “into” trains when I lived in the US, I was aware - through the media and - especially - Christmas TV commercials, of the big names like Walthers, Lionel and Athearn, but I’d never heard of Life-Like.

Seems like it’s part of the Walthers empire (or was). The dedicated fan page https://tycotrain.tripod.com/lifelikemodeltrainscollectorsresource/index.html makes no mention of such a set. Any chance of a picture or two.

Yes, part of Wathers for a bit. Not sure where the coaches are at the moment.

image.png.f9ead84fef6b221437242ecb545bbecb.png

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

A fascinating post from our artiste-in-residence, @SM42

But I’m wondering if almost-in-the-buff is a variation of fresh flour?

I may have a new colour to add to the palette:

Natural Buff. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, polybear said:

You only did it so Mrs SM would feel compelled to oil you up with Factor 50, didn't you?

If only 

She was at church.

Probably praying the neighbours weren't suffering from PTSD. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

27 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Yes, part of Wathers for a bit. Not sure where the coaches are at the moment.

image.png.f9ead84fef6b221437242ecb545bbecb.png

This reminds me of the Airfix version of Castle class.

Paul

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Bikes loaded. 

Almost time to head to the Tissington Trial Trail 

Andy 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, SM42 said:

Oh yes they were. 

Still loads left though

Andy

That's quite enough information I'll thank you. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

It's a well known fact that SM42 will do anything to be oiled so I've been told.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I.in between times I also succeeded in getting my new laptop out of S mode and now loading stuff on.

Jamie

Is this the one with a fully working QWERTY keyboard?

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's a well known fact that SM42 will do anything to be oiled so I've been told.

I think you are mistaking the difference between being oiled and getting well greased up. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1