Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I always found that using horse manure on my veg patch gave me the trots.

I found rhubarb gave me the trots....

When the election was declared, Sherry, who is registered for a postal votes, realised she would be over here when the voting papers were sent out, and on Polling Day. So she applied to Torbay Council to have them sent here. Lo and behold they arrived yesterday - complete with a formal reply-paid envelope for safe return! I believe I am now entitled to vote in my last UK constituency. Since that was Tunbridge Wells, my beliefs are never going to be those of a winning candidate, so that's that..... 

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

36 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

For those of you grumbling about the cost of the latest Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol/Heljan offering:

https://www.thetimes.com/life-style/luxury/article/train-sets-times-luxury-vqtlbmqkc?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Luxury 2024 June 21&utm_term=audience_LUXURY

or

https://www.thetimes.com/life-style/luxury/article/train-sets-times-luxury-vqtlbmqkc

The age of the £100k train set

Train sets used to be either for the very young or the very old, but the new high-end kit — including smoke machines, tiny instrument panels and bespoke livery options — has widened their appeal

Just tot up the value of your locos and rolling stock for insurance purposes (replacement) and you'll be horrified by how close you might get...

• Agree 11

43 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I believe I am now entitled to vote in my last UK constituency. Since that was Tunbridge Wells, my beliefs are never going to be those of a winning candidate, so that's that..... 

Don't bet on it ...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

My Great Aunt always found that racehorse droppings* worked well on her rhubarb!

* Some may have been from Red Rum....

I have custard on mine. (Well someone had to say it.)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

I have custard on mine. (Well someone had to say it.)

They always do.  Its like an episode of QI....

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having worked in the garden for most of the day, I've just had a Guinness.

I might need another shortly.

I did that (some gardening) and strained my back so I gave up early.

Didn't have any Guinness as I don't like it!

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Hroth said:

I did that (some gardening) and strained my back so I gave up early.

There was Summer Punch, various wines, whisky (Penderyn of course) and Rattler cloudy cider for those that didn't want Guinness.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having worked in the garden for most of the day, I've just had a Guinness.

I might need another shortly.

Just think what toucan do.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just tot up the value of your locos and rolling stock for insurance purposes (replacement) and you'll be horrified by how close you might get...

That might be true for some, but I think most people with collections of RTR - especially if most of it is 20th-Century - would be disappointed at how little it's worth.

A little sad point in that article where the auctioneer says many collectors have three of four of the same thing and only one ever came out of its box.  So they bought them purely as "investments", then.  I pity people who cannot enjoy any pastime unless they believe they can profit out of it.

• Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I don’t know about now, but draught Guinness used to be very variable, depending on things like which brewery it was from, how well it was kept, how carefully it was served etc.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

5 minutes ago, pH said:

I don’t know about now, but draught Guinness used to be very variable, depending on things like which brewery it was from, how well it was kept, how carefully it was served etc.

Mind you, I did love the Guinness clocks 😀

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Long time no post - a week actually. Last Friday and all weekend was spent shuttling along the Midland's London Extension, i.e., the main line south of Bedford, with other members of the Midland Railway Society whilst based in St. Albans; that was followed by a few days of friends visiting, during which I was banned on pain of something unspecified but undoubtedly 'orrible from  going anywhere near TNM or anything else on line. Then today was taken up with the deep joy of a shopping expedition to Shrewsbury but as a reward I have been promised some shed time so there is a silver lining after all.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the Guinness question, when we lived in San Diego we were a short distance from a place called McP's Irish Pub and contrary to my expectations the Guinness they sold was among  the best that I have tasted. I did try to introduce some of my American colleagues to the delights of the dark nectar but was only able to convert one away from the likes of Budwater and other brands of gnat's dribble; even so, McP's did seem to sell quite a lot of the Liffey brew. I do admit, however, that the very best Guinness is to be found in the Emerald Isle. 

Dave

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, pH said:

The flavour of beer depends a lot on the local water used for brewing it. Usually the harder the water is the better it is for brewing beer. That is why Burton-on-Trent is (or was) noted for its breweries also East Anglia and Kent all area's with a limestone aquifer, as is the area around Dublin. It is the minerals in the water that gives a beer it's particular flavour so Guinness brewed other than in Dublin will taste different.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

A little sad point in that article where the auctioneer says many collectors have three of four of the same thing and only one ever came out of its box.  So they bought them purely as "investments", then.  I pity people who cannot enjoy any pastime unless they believe they can profit out of it.

I have never been able to understand the attraction of collecting models simply to place them in glass cases rather than run them but I suppose each to his own. What really mystifies me though is why something that is slightly different from the others of its kind should be many time more valuable than the rest, e.g., a model in, say, BR blue when only a few were made in that livery when the majority were BR green.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The flavour of beer depends a lot on the local water used for brewing it. Usually the harder the water is the better it is for brewing beer. That is why Burton-on-Trent is (or was) noted for its breweries also East Anglia and Kent all area's with a limestone aquifer, as is the area around Dublin. It is the minerals in the water that gives a beer it's particular flavour so Guinness brewed other than in Dublin will taste different.

Our local brewery produces Joules' beer using a recipe and yeast culture that Joules used many years back and is a very nice brew that is popular hereabouts. The site was selected partially because there is a well there that takes water from the same aquifer as that extracted for the old Joules brewery. Interestingly, the aquifer is in sandstone. 

Dave

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

What really mystifies me though is why something that is slightly different from the others of its kind should be many time more valuable than the rest …

I’ve seen something like that being used to explain the attraction of train (specifically engine) spotting. The theory was that early humans needed to be able to classify things as like other things, especially animals  - for example, which were good to eat and not too dangerous to hunt. The ability/tendency to do this classifying became quite ingrained. But the ability to recognize something as  “not quite the same”, showing that something was changing in the environment, was also useful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Mind you, I did love the Guinness clocks 😀

I've got a Guinness Toucan moneybox.

Did you know that Dorothy L Sayers, the crime novelist, was a co-creator of the first "Toucan" advert when she was in advertising?

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

image.png.03a598d0af4662f7410fbb50382d3d7a.png

I didn't know I had purple blood, but I have noticed  a growing number of my friends and acquaintances who say:

'Look!  Here comes that 'King Hippo again.'

• Funny 18