Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Postperson just ambled past, chunnering to themselves....

On reflection, they must have a bluetooth headset.

Simples!

• Like 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I can see both sides of the 'arguement/discussion' about UPF's, but and it is a big but I have is that everything is made from chemicals. It's a bit like saying that water is bad because it's H2O- can't get a small 2 so you'll just have to imagine it. One of reasons people are 'fearful' of chemicals is because they have very little knowledge of them and what they do. Is that a poor reflection on people's education/knowledge - yes but it has been ever thus. If you were to ask someone from the early nineteen century why salt was included in bread, they could probably

H₂0 sent from an android tablet.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Open another Tab, type in "copy paste subscript", page opens , type in what you want in the top line, copy it, then go back to the page you want it in and paste..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

28 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Simples!

I remember one of the few times I had travelled with my mum in recent years and my mum pointed out a "nutter" on the bus talking to himself. "Be careful he might be dangerous", it was just a student type with a headset!

She hadn't heard of these headsets that were just coming out. Not long afterwards she was buying them for the grandkids as a Christmas present!

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Tramway curves being so tight that one would need a very exaggerated taper to roll round without the wheels having to slip, if both were fixed rigidly to the axle. Obviously powered trams have to have the wheels fixed to the axles. I once stayed in a room in Prague overlooking a bend on an all-night tram route. I soon realised why the family were letting out that room rather than one looking out the back of the building!

A short ride on the MER will affirm that! In some places not so much curves as corners.  I tend not to photograph on them as it looks so ridiculous, this is the best I can find for now.

20220522_134445.jpg.32b1902cbcfac5a3574719fe4a190154.jpg

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The Doctor did address that point:

Dave

Yes I do appreciate that and I suppose in a way I'm agreeing with him, but I still think that the  'arguement' has been 'dumbed down' to much i.e chemicals - bad; natural stuff - good. When in actual fact it's should be more nuanced than that. Hay Ho what comes around etc....

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, polybear said:

The problem is that, for the average shopper you either need to be very clued up on such things or be prepared to stand there and read every ingredients label and understand what it all means.

Or cook it all yourself - which for many either just isn't an option (work, kids, family life etc.) or you simply hate the idea or spending the time & effort.

As far as I know no one has ever died from food.

The sea levels are rising, an insane NATO hating Russian loving clown  is looking likely to regain the Whitehouse in 150 days time....  F*&@#$*)%^  it, you  may as well have another doughnut! 

Apparently according to the doomsday experts  the in place to be this coming nuclear winter is Australia or New Zealand, so I'm going to have TWO doughnuts!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Ultra processed food is the miracle of the age. Those selfless food companies do all that extra work processing stuff, and as if that wasn't enough then add loads of extra stuff to improve the goodness. And the added cost for all that extra processing and content? Nothing, we pay less, it's a miracle! If only the rest of industry could match the excellentness of the food sector the world would be a better place.

• Like 5
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

far as I know no one has ever died from food.

Well I suppose it was the allergy to a foodstuff that killed people so not the food. However I know what you mean. I don’t think it will be any UPF, preservatives , added sugar or salt that does for me. They must only be in tiny amounts in my diet. There are perfectly healthy things that I am supposed to avoid (various green vegetables) but I would have to be consuming barrow loads every day so the occasional broccoli or kale isn’t going to do me in. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Also , eating bears can be fatal…

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Don’t agree, at all.

Ultra, in ultra processed food, refers to all those additional chemicals - unknown outside of a chemical factory.

Processed food - which includes cooked and preserved - is not the same as UPF.  There’s a big difference between preserving food with natural materials: oil, sugar, salt (and brines), vinegar and spices and using the chemical concoctions all too frequently used in factory processed food.

What is often overlooked is that a lot of the chemicals utilised in industrial food processing are used to compensate for cheaper ingredients used (e.g. substituting the much much cheaper hydrogenated plant oil margarine for butter in a recipe then adding “butter flavouring” to compensate)

Didn't think you would.

But that's your definition of "ultra". At one time I'm sure vinegar would have been regarded with equal suspicion. A less emotive term might be "non-traditional". I'm not arguing that additives are good (or bad.) My objection is the use of supercharged, highly emotive terminology.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Apparently according to the doomsday experts  the in place to be this coming nuclear winter is Australia or New Zealand, so I'm going to have TWO doughnuts!

Is that with Chips?

57 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Also , eating bears can be fatal…

Trying to definitely is.....😠

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, AndyID said:

with equal suspicion.

Some of the things that were considered healthy supplements or good medical techniques in Victorian and Edwardian times would be somewhat frowned upon nowadays. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, polybear said:

Trying to definitely is.....😠

Have you seen “The Revenant”. Definitely needs a “do not try this at home” warning. I assume Leonardo DiCaprio didn’t eat the bears liver in entirety. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The sea levels are rising, an insane NATO hating Russian loving clown  is looking likely to regain the Whitehouse in 150 days time....  F*&@#$*)%^  it, you  may as well have another doughnut! 

If it comes to that I'll be getting in the Fiat and doing a "Fred Astaire".

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I respectfully refer the Gentleman to the death of Henry 1st 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

Err, yes they have.

Bear liver is toxic. Polar Bear liver especially so - It has been estimated that consumption of 500 grams (18 oz) of polar bear liver would result in a toxic dose for a human.

Rhubarb leaves are toxic (oxalic acid) and some believe that end of season rhubarb stalks start to accrete toxic levels of oxalic acid.

Misidentified mushrooms: Death cap (Amanita phalloides) s one of the most poisonous mushrooms in the world and is responsible for most mushroom-related deaths and is easily misidentified as the edible straw mushroom.

Even drinking water can be fatal. Apart from hyperhydration (or fatal water intoxication) which although rare does happen, too much water ingested in a short period of time can lead to hyponatremia - which can lead to cerebral oedema which in turn can lead to acute hypertension and bradycardia - both of which can kill you. If untreated hyperhydration symptoms may progress from mild confusion to acute delirium, seizures, coma, and death.

Pizza can kill you - as a report from Italy revealed - when a woman was killed due to botulinum toxin in the pizza sauce.

Cake will kill you: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7262435.stm

Donuts will kill you https://vinnews.com/2022/12/22/after-two-people-die-from-donuts-israeli-health-ministry-explains-how-to-eat-them/

And french fries will kill you, but  very s  l  o  w  l  y     https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/eightyear-study-finds-heavy-french-fry-eaters-have-double-the-chance-of-death/news-story/1a557be079d7947380c90924dc2f0d15

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Rhubarb leaves are toxic (oxalic acid) and some believe that end of season rhubarb stalks start to accrete toxic levels of oxalic acid.

Bear hasn't a clue when "the season" is - if the rhubarb looks ok and there's enough for a crumble then it gets scoffed; been doing it for decades and as far as I know it hasn't killed me yet....

I was aware that the leaves are a no-no though.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Simples!

First time I experienced anything like that was in Glasgow airport, after an overnight flight from Canada. Standing in an airport toilet, the guy at the next urinal started chatting away very conversationally. In my sleep-deprived state, it took me a few seconds to sort out what was happening. I’d never seen a hands-free phone before.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

A short ride on the MER will affirm that! In some places not so much curves as corners.  I tend not to photograph on them as it looks so ridiculous, this is the best I can find for now.

20220522_134445.jpg.32b1902cbcfac5a3574719fe4a190154.jpg

That’s not a corner, this is a corner:

https://ngtrains.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Bendy.jpg

(That’s a 2-6-6-2 Mallet!).                     

Edited by pH
  • Like 17
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

When we researched wheels for the horse tram we discovered that most horse trams had a 'loose' wheel that was held to gauge by collars but free to rotate on the axle.  This was to make it easier for horses to restart the trams on the reverse curves in and out of passing loops.  They had parallel treads.  We ended up having ours tapered as a certain museum told us that the tram wouldn't stay on the rails without tapered treads.  The 'engineer' layi g down the law had recently installed loose wheels on the Great Orme tramway.

Jamie

IIRC the original Tri-ang rolling stock had a loose wheel too.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1