Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Any minute my mains will go off, until 15.30, repeated every day this week. I am back to UK on Thursday, so that helps. I have tried to be prepared, having taken a couple of frozen blocks out of the freezer, put them ina chiller bag, and put milk and lunch fillings in, so I don't have to open the fridge. Just made my last cup of coffee - Nespresso machine. The deprivation! 

Not sure I will have any Internet - will the phone aerial down the road go off, too? If not, then my phone can be a hotspot. Day is dry but still cool, so the garden is going to get some attention. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Three for a fiver?  I wish.

No, Bear's high-end LDC costs £3.25 EACH.....

I very much suspect it was the "30 minutes" that cracked us all up....

Yep that would be it.  After "just 30 minutes" my bought-from-Sainsburys S&K pie is almost ready, not starting to cook...

Sorry Doctor, but I enjoy eating, not cooking, which I genuinely enjoy fractionally more than washing up afterwards.  I'm happy that you and others do enjoy it though and keep evangelising for better quality food, but while we may have concerns about UPF, consider what modern mass-production of food has achieved.  Our problems of poor nutrition in much of the Western world wouldn't be the result of eating too much UPF (by choice), but due to much more expensive food, not eating enough of anything.  

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

While my power is still on - and I've just sneaked a second coffee! Woohoo! - worth noting that my diet is fairly healthy, really. Seldom eat convenience meals - maybe a pizza a month - but do use a lot of commercial sauces. So last night was diced mackerel in arrabbiata sauce, w fresh tagliatelle, which was delish! And too much ham, really. Don't eat much sweet stuff, but my yoghurts are probably over-processed, albeit supposed to be good for the gut. 

Alison is always prompting me to make my own sauces, and I certainly have the time. But the effort may still seem too much. I do use lots of herbs and spices, especially turmeric, said to be quite good for us. It also makes rice prettier! But then it's white rice, so probably that cancels it out, anyway....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oh, dear. The standards of taste among TNMers is declining catastrophically.

Dave 

Agreed.

Perish the thought that someone with Kelvin Valley Railway interests would troll up here and take root.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to mention that during our stroll

in the Dorothy Clive gardens yesterday we came across a nice specimen of the Midland Railway bush:

IMG_0450.jpeg.184c9bcd64fb9c58035158a731a9b4f7.jpeg

Also known to the cognoscenti as the Johsonberry bush.

Dave

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I forgot to mention that during our stroll

in the Dorothy Clive gardens yesterday we came across a nice specimen of the Midland Railway bush:

IMG_0450.jpeg.184c9bcd64fb9c58035158a731a9b4f7.jpeg

Also known to the cognoscenti as the Johsonberry bush.

Dave

I note that with all these bushes, the red comes and goes, but the green is a constant throughout the year.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I note that with all these bushes, the red comes and goes, but the green is a constant throughout the year.

And I bet some fell upon stony ground....

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Bear has just received a reply to my enquiry to the rather good Bakers (supposedly - though their scoff is admittedly yummy):

"Our bread process is based around the Chorleywood Bread Process. 

However, we do not use high speed mixers (Tweedy) so cannot be classed as the Chorleywood Process

A No Time Dough

Our standard tin breads are produced using improvers and dough relaxers.

These are mixed on fixed spiral mixers for 3 minutes (slow speed) and 8 minutes (fast speed), typically.

Once mixed, dough is put through a mechanical divider and scaled at the required weight.

Dough is then feed into an intermediate prover that allows the dough to rest for 15 minutes prior to going through a final moulder.

Once off the moulder dough is placed in the desired tin and into a prover.

After around 45 minutes in the prover tins are placed in the oven to be baked. This would be for around 35 minutes @ 245°C depending on the type of loaf being produced.

Total production time from start to finish is around 2 hours approx."

They conveniently dodged the question about ingredients.......

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

One of the more bizzare thoughts that flashed through my head this morning was railway chess pieces.

Instead of the standard chess pieces, how about railway orientated replacements.

Kings and Castles are obvious starters, and pawns could be Jinties of Panniers depending on your fancy.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

One of the more bizzare thoughts that flashed through my head this morning was railway chess pieces.

Instead of the standard chess pieces, how about railway orientated replacements.

Kings and Castles are obvious starters, and pawns could be Jinties of Panniers depending on your fancy.

Queen = LMS Princess Royal class

Knights = GWR 29XX "Ivanhoe"; LSWR/SR "King Arthur" class

For Bishops, how about a Black 5 (one being named "Eric Treacy" in preservation); the electric locomotive named for him; or that GWR neverwazzer, the Cathedral class?

Pawns = L&Y "pugs", surely?

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, polybear said: Our standard tin breads are produced using improvers and dough relaxers.

They conveniently dodged the question about ingredients.......

I think that the throwaway phrase about ‘improvers’ and ‘relaxers’ could cover a multitude of sins and take the products into UPF territory.

Dave

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I do wish you lot would use the correct terms it's a Ribes x culverwellii.  That way the rest of us would understand what you were saying.🤣

By the way it's a hybrid of the gooseberry and blackcurrant. So quite what that says about the Greasy Wheels Running I'll leave to your vivid imaginations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Pawns could be standard workhorses such as Black 5s, B1s, 63XXs etc. depending on the whim of the producer.

Dave

• Like 7

Just now, Winslow Boy said:

I do wish you lot would use the correct terms it's a Ribes x culverwellii.  That way the rest of us would understand what you were saying.🤣

By the way it's a hybrid of the gooseberry and blackcurrant. So quite what that says about the Greasy Wheels Running I'll leave to your vivid imaginations.

Hybrid of blackcurrant and goosegogs sounds quite disgusting 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that the throwaway phrase about ‘improvers’ and ‘relaxers’ could cover a multitude of sins and take the products into UPF territory.

Dave

Hmm it might but it could just be something like salt.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Different pieces for each side, of course. Jinties v Panniers. Or does that just sound too much like a third-rate Hollywood fantasy action movie? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Green one with Midland Flowers.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Compound2632 said:

Different pieces for each side, of course. Jinties v Panniers. Or does that just sound too much like a third-rate Hollywood fantasy action movie? 

Maybe our thinking is too restricted and we could look at pawns being wagons, which would give Stephen a vast field to explore.

Dave

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I do wish you lot would use the correct terms it's a Ribes x culverwellii. 

Aren’t culverwellis the footwear used by PW gangs when dealing with blocked water drains?

Dave

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

The Defence rests, M'Lord.

Lawyers are lazy beggars.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The Chorleywood process allowed bread to be made from low protein wheats as typically grown in the UK, and relieved the need to import North American wheat. Stronger varieties of wheat are now available to grow in the UK. Our homemade bread contains flour salt yeast and water. The bread machine recipes also require a small amount 3/4 teaspoon of sugar for the yeast, and some fat, usually butter or occasionally olive oil.

Edited by Tony_S
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Just searched Railway themed Chess Set.

The good old USA have beat you too it!

On a certain auction site, there is a Santa Fe set listed as the battle of Steam over Diesels!

Then again, how about a MR versus GWR set?

Off for lunch

Paul

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3