Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Swiss Navy.

Commanding a flotilla of Pedalos from a Punt.

This sort of punt?

image.png.c8a3027257b521fd03b5ba295940e135.png

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

That is a nice Norfolk Punt, but I was thinking more along these lines as the Doctor would need to be tooled up in order to keep discipline in the flotilla:

image.png.682b92461f3c4b24e93483baf1fc2fe9.png

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

That too is a Norfolk punt, one was developed from the other.

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Why has our PM decide to call a General Election on the 4th of July.

Does he not know that in some parts of the world it's known as Independence Day?

I've concluded the PM looked at the polling trends, the known age profile of loyal Conservative voters and concluded that if he leaves it another four months, there's a chance of a good number being  - how shall I put this politely - "not available to vote".

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

Sounds like HH has done the classic bloke thing, by by-passing the 'think - say' filter.

I.e. even if you think it you shouldn't say it until the brain has had a chance to catch-up with the speech action.

Ask me how I know 😂

Cheers, Nigel.

Now where is the fun in that?

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Does he not know that in some parts of the world it's known as Independence Day?

The first song played on the radio after the 6pm news. 

The Clash,

Should I stay or should I go.

😁

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

36 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

And on the same day,  I'll be celebrating the 50th anniversary of my . . . . . . .

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I just finished cutting the grass, it was rather pleasant on the zero-turn but the locust attacks were disconcerting! They are actually harmless; they do not bite, sting, or do anything else to you except, at about an inch+ in length, they do hurt a bit when they hit you. And that is why I wear a full face shield when mowing plus one of those industrial-type of breathing filters to keep the dust/dirt out of my nose and mouth. Shooters ear protectors round out the uniform. I really need to find my old ear protector/mask/ head protector that I wore when on the Kitty Hawk's flight deck. I think that I know where it is, it just a matter of dredging it up.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

He's probably hoping for an alien invasion to distract people.

Dave

• Agree 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Further to the PM's election announcement, it was the first story on the 5.30news bulletin. 

A clip if his announcement was played and the newsreader then said " we'll bring you more on this story later."

What more is there to bring? 

It's been announced. No more to tell. 

I do despair sometimes.

Andy

• Agree 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Further to the PM's election announcement, it was the first story on the 5.30news bulletin. 

A clip if his announcement was played and the newsreader then said " we'll bring you more on this story later."

I remember when Princess Di died; the BBC and others simply repeated what amounted to a few minutes news over and over again all day and the day after.

Dave 

• Agree 16

• RMweb Premium

Ahh the local BBC TV  news is 30 minutes behind schedule. 

Obviously we needed an extra half an hour for various correspondents to discuss a single sentence uttered earlier. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

July 4th is the 12th anniversary of my first chemo treatment. 

The big difference between then and now is that your first chemo treatment was genuinely intended to improve you life and probably had a beneficial effect.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Yesterday's fun here at SM42 Towers occurred whilst I was out washing the car. 

Above SM42 Towers, at the top of the hill here is a trading estate, hidden by a small wood. 

There is a footpath up into the wood from the end of our road and it is used by many an employee as a short cut, avoiding the busy main road. 

In the evening, aforementioned employees return back down the hill, some on bicycles and yesterday was no exception.  

A cyclist hurtled out of the woods, and I heard the sound of a locked up bicycle wheel as he went past, this was followed by a thunk as he ran into the car that happened to be merrily making its way past the end of our road. 

Fortunately he was seen in time and only a minor scare for both parties was the result. 

The usual MO of such cyclists is to race out of the wood, down our short road and turn left down the hill without a care and on the wrong side of the road. 

Maybe this one will be more careful in future. 

Is it wrong that I was laughing inside?

Andy

More importantly, did the (probably uninsured) Tw@t on the bike damage the car?  I would've been somewhat less than impressed if it'd been Mickey.

52 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I do despair sometimes.

Andy

All that cobblers meant that tonight's edition of "The Chase" was cancelled.  Inconsiderate T0sser. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I've concluded the PM looked at the polling trends, the known age profile of loyal Conservative voters and concluded that if he leaves it another four months, there's a chance of a good number being  - how shall I put this politely - "not available to vote".

Funny really,  First thing this morning I heard the news that Inflation in the UK had dropped considerably.  
I quipped to my wife, “you watch, the Election will be announced next!”

Lo and behold!!!!!!

Should have put a bet on.

Paul

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

I do despair sometimes.

Andy

I remember once when a famous person died in the States and the BBC News (I think) went over to their correspondent live in New York, asking them, "So, what's the latest?".

If I was the correspondent I'd have replied, "Well, they're still dead....."

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

The Swiss actually DO have a Navy (of sorts) - they have gunboats on the Alpine lakes Switzerland shares with Italy and France

IMG_4723.jpeg.c3efa368431defb381b0724d8bdedec6.jpeg

I think with a few tweaks it'd make for a pretty decent Launch for those (ahem) energetic, "fun" weekends...

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, polybear said:

More importantly, did the (probably uninsured) Tw@t on the bike damage the car?  I would've been somewhat less than impressed if it'd been Mickey.

I think  his front wheel left a clean stripe on the car' s nearside alloy wheel. 

I was earwigging the conversation and it didn't seem to be a damage incident. 

But you never know. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

I do despair sometimes.

Andy

Unless the PM catches pneumonia from getting wet standing in the rain.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Unless the PM catches pneumonia from getting wet standing in the rain.

Come to that, how much does he pay for his suits?

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

Don’t know about the Swiss Navy, but many people are surprised to learn there used to be quite a sizeable Austrian Navy, dreadnought battleships and all, until c1919.

I have never quite recovered from learning that their top-scoring U-boat Ace during WWI was none other than …

Baron Georg von Trapp

… yes, he of “The Sound of Music” fame. 

Proving yet again that when people leave the Armed Services their subsequent career (and hobby!) choices can go in strange directions. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2