Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am about to start the long and traditional tradition of preparing the bottle of Penderyn for its opening when my brother arrives.

How do you prepare a bottle of whisky for its opening? Tell it that it is a really lovely bottle? Promise it that you and your brother will respect it? Tell it that one of its ancient forebears helped celebrate Wales achieving the grand slam?

Dave

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

20 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

After our three days of house, horse, dog and cat sitting when nothing to speak of went wrong, we went to load the car this morning only to discover a flat tyre. And I mean flat, not just down a bit. Luckily when I bought the car I insisted on a proper spare wheel and made it essential to concluding the deal so we didn't have to mess about with any of the pathetic things that are foisted on motorists today. However, I hadn't reckoned on removing the wheel that had bolts which were applied by an over enthusiastic wielder of a pneumatic spanner and it took me ages to get the damn things undone. Luckily I found a piece of iron bar that fitted into the hollow handled wheelbrace so eventually the problem was solved. I think I know what happened as yesterday evening when going for the fish 'n chips I hit one of the myriad potholes that Shropshire seems to be growing and although by the time I got back the tyre low pressure warning hadn't come on it must have caused enough damage to leak overnight. I'll have to take it into our friendly tyre man on Monday morning and just hope that the alloy rim hasn't been KO'd.

Dave

I have been known to step on a three foot long steam pipe extension to get them off. That would be around 400 pound-feet.

If resorting to such extreme measures its a good idea to chock ALL the wheels to oppose the force.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I have been known to step on a three foot long steam pipe extension to get them off. That would be around 400 pound-feet.

If resorting to such extreme measures its a good idea to chock ALL the wheels to oppose the force.

I resorted to a circa 12ft long bit of scaffolding pole (over the end of a tommy bar & socket) to undo a Ford wheel hub nut once, it gave up finally with a loud "crack" 

Edited by Porkscratching
Auto un correct spelling
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Porkscratching said:

I resorted to a circa 12ft long bit of scaffolding pole (over the end of a fommy bar & socket) to undo a Ford wheel hub nut once, it gave up finally with a loud "crack" 

A friend managed to destroy an "indestructible" socket doing that. The manufacturer replaced it, a bit reluctantly 😁

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I wonder at what stage the stud will just give up and shear off before the nut actually comes undone?

Dave

I've never snapped a wheel stud like that but did encounter one that ended up going round and round aimlessly, as it'd stripped the splines that held it in the hub. That one I just gas axed the bastard off 😁

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

31 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I wonder at what stage the stud will just give up and shear off before the nut actually comes undone?

Dave

I'm not sure it would. All the applied torque is trying to overcome friction between the nut and the wheel.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am about to start the long and traditional tradition of preparing the bottle of Penderyn for its opening when my brother arrives.

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

How do you prepare a bottle of whisky for its opening? Tell it that it is a really lovely bottle? Promise it that you and your brother will respect it? Tell it that one of its ancient forebears helped celebrate Wales achieving the grand slam?

Dave

I should imagine that preparation involves ensuring that it is at the correct temperature, and some judicious pre-sampling for quality control purposes...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I should imagine that preparation involves ensuring that it is at the correct temperature, and some judicious pre-sampling for quality control purposes...

It's more along the lines of a ceremonial  sacrifice involving the gentle removal of the card wrapping, the razor sharp knife to spilt the lead seal, and the popping of the Cork.

It then becomes a bit  loud and definitly more frenzied as the liquid gold is poured into the whisky tumblers.

After that,  we are far to too busy to worry about ceremony and tradition.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

The correct wheel nut torque for Mickey is 74 Ib/ft IIRC....

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Whatever the case, it can't do the studs much good  if they've been tightened that much (and it's not because of corrosion between the nut and the rim) as it's likely to stretch them.

Edited by polybear
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, polybear said:

The correct wheel nut torque is 74 Ib/ft IIRC....

Whatever the case, it can't do the studs much good  if they've been tightened that much (and it's not because of corrosion between the nut and the rim) as it's likely to stretch them.

Yes, if the resistance is created by excessive tension rather than corrosion it won't do the studs any good at all. There has to be friction between the nut and stud threads too but it acts at a smaller radius than the nut/wheel interface and any rotation between the nut and the stud acts "downhill".

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Yes, if the resistance is created by excessive tension rather than corrosion it won't do the studs any good at all. There has to be friction between the nut and stud threads too but it acts at a smaller radius than the nut/wheel interface and any rotation between the nut and the stud acts "downhill".

I removed the wheel bolts on a Renault Scenic I had, but the wheel would not come off. I went to the garage where I had bought it and asked them to take the wheels off and put them back on. They did but said mine was the first Scenic with that problem though they had dealt with a number of Renault Espace with similarly stuck wheels. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, SM42 said:

So there you have it. Crime is not crime in the West Midlands unless it is committed on the open road.

How else are they going to be able to claim that despite a lack of policemen and making the ones that are employed spend much of their time filling in paperwork and ensuring 'equality' (or is today's buzzword 'inclusiveness'?) , the crime rate is actually going down?

Dave

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 08/12/2023 at 17:46, Happy Hippo said:

I have arrived safely , although I'm sure it took longer to drive though Penderyn village at 20 mph ( non stop as I avoided the distillery) than it took to drive from Hirwain to Neath.

Sorry, coming to this a but late, but when I first read it I thought, the Penderynese will have appreciated the spectacle.

• Funny 8

27 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Well where did that weekend go?

Bit depressing today in that some friends were involved in a minor collision in a car park

They were stationary at the time. In fact parked.

When they challenged the occupants of the other car for their details, the got aggressive and refused.

When friends started taking photos of the damage the other party got physical.

It was suggested the police be called and they made haste in the direction of off.

A check of the car registration  reveals no MOT (so possibly no insurance either depending on the wording of any policy they have).

Friends reported the incident to the police. Both the accident and the road rage that followed

It appears making off from the scene of an accident is no longer a police matter, neither is having no MOT or indeed any provison of The Road Traffic Act as well as anything related to assault  as it was in a public (council run ) car park.

So there you have it. Crime is not crime in the West Midlands unless it is committed on the open road.

I despair.

Andy

Then they wonder why people take the law into their own hands.

The property damage I might understand but the assault is completely unacceptable. That's a definite nasty-gram to the Chief Constable, MP and the Daily Wail.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, SM42 said:

It appears making off from the scene of an accident is no longer a police matter, neither is having no MOT or indeed any provison of The Road Traffic Act as well as anything related to assault  as it was in a public (council run ) car park.

Surely that's gottabeatotalcrockkashit?

So if Bear goes down Tess & Co car park and decks someone then the plod aren't interested?  I'd feel a letter to the Ch. Const. (copied to the Press & local MP) rapidly approaching.

Depending on the damage caused (and it's very easy to get £silly numbers with even minor damage) it might not be worth the aggro - it's likely to go 50/50 as they'll deny everything (unless your friend has dashcam footage/witnesses) - and that assumes they have insurance anyway.  Would you want them knowing your address?

I'd like to think that, as a minimum the Plod would watch for the vehicle being driven (ANPR n' all that) and nick them accordingly.  I'm not hopeful.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

How else are they going to be able to claim that despite a lack of policemen and making the ones that are employed spend much of their time filling in paperwork and ensuring 'equality' (or is today's buzzword 'inclusiveness'?) , the crime rate is actually going down?

Dave

Looks like we've gone back 50 years when you had to ask the Sgt for a crime report. If it wasn't detectable he wouldn't issue one. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just had update from friends. 

A complaint has been made. 

They have reported the car as having no MOT and being used on the public highway online. 

They are leaving it at that. 

The damage ( small dent and scratch, ) is probably less to repair, than their excess when seen in the cold light of day  so no point going down the insurance route. 

They are putting it behind them now content in the knowledge that some karma may come from  the MOT thing.  

Andy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12