Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

50 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Not only that but #24 does not look remotely like a crumpet 😆

I think there are two different things called ‘crumpets’ and that is an example of one of them. The Wikipedia entry for ‘crumpet’ refers to the name being used for different things:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet

I was quite happy to see it named as that. I also showed my wife that picture and asked her what she would call it and she said ‘crumpet’.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, pH said:

I think there are two different things called ‘crumpets’ and that is an example of one of them. The Wikipedia entry for ‘crumpet’ refers to the name being used for different things:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet

I was quite happy to see it named as that. I also showed my wife that picture and asked her what she would call it and she said ‘crumpet’.

Obviously I was referring to the Scottish version (just not this Scottish version.)

scan0025_edited.jpg.68a1010f489daab0ca909cd136e8f9af.jpg

I would not trust the character on the right with the hairy legs one bit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Lots of cliches in there, but they missed The Sunday Lunch. 

When I started reading things like this I knew straight away it was cobblers:

Clean and efficient public transportation. I know Londoners aren't always happy with the Underground, but as an American it was the cleanest, safest and most efficient rail system I have ever seen

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, pH said:

They are not the same thing!

Also known as pikelet in some areas.  Toasted on a long fork in front of the coal fire then spread with butter and then golden syrup.  Scrumptious but not sold in France. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Also known as pikelet in some areas.  Toasted on a long fork in front of the coal fire then spread with butter and then golden syrup.  Scrumptious but not sold in France. 

Jamie

Nyda makes her own.  Much better than the stuff you get from the shops.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, polybear said:

...When I started reading things like this I knew straight away it was cobblers...

Another clickbait then. Who makes money from this trash?

A most interesting observation about Southern England's winter from a late American colleague from upstate New York.

"You don't have a winter, what you have is sustained thaw. That's what makes the driving so difficult, cannot use snow tyres and the repeated melting and freezing makes the road surface unpredictably slippy. That's when all the traffic accidents happen back home".

And from another who at that time flew a Beech Staggerwing, whom I arranged to see a flying day of the Shuttleworth collection at Old Warden. Perfect still summer evening permitted all the oldies to fly.

"That is unbelievable".

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

When I started reading things like this I knew straight away it was cobblers:

Clean and efficient public transportation. I know Londoners aren't always happy with the Underground, but as an American it was the cleanest, safest and most efficient rail system I have ever seen

Have you ever ridden on the New York subway? it brings a new meaning to the term mobile toilet. There are better Metro systems as such in other European and especially far eastern cities but there's also a lot worse.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Had to look that one up. Very pretty for a bi-plane.

Not just pretty either. Had a 1500 mile flight in it from his 'airpark' estate home to 'Will Rogers World Airport', OKC. a way more rapid trip than the commercial alternative requiring two changes; and cheaper for the business. Special feature, a superb low level section along that big river the USA has from just South of St Louis.

• Like 10

If money were no object, I'd be interested in something weird like a Supermarine Walrus. Probably cheaper than catching the ferry to see the Manx GP! 

Walrus-photo.jpg.c92b8c75a1c6877f598760c013f041a6.jpg

Aircraft manuals online

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

cannot use snow tyres and the repeated melting and freezing makes the road surface unpredictably slippy.

That is why we have winter tyres!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

If money were no object, I'd be interested in something weird like a Supermarine Walrus. Probably cheaper than catching the ferry to see the Manx GP! 

Aircraft manuals online

Referred to by crews as the "Shagbat", amongst other epithets...

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

59 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Which makes you a very rare bird indeed. Everyone else sliding about is the problem...

20 inch alloys with rubber band tyres. 

20 inch rims were traditionally lorry wheels, 5 tons upwards.

I remember my GTE being useless in snow and that was on 225/60 ZR14s. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I didn't say it was nice, or practical or comfortable...

The last time we took FiL to Yeovil to see his brother (both now departed this life), a visit to the FAA museum was requested. He had personal expreriences relating to some of the exhibits, and the Walrus was 'not an aircraft anyone would choose to fly in'. (As for the Corsair which he had been converted onto in Canada in preparation for Tiger Force, 'deeply scary'.)

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

20 inch alloys with rubber band tyres. 

20 inch rims were traditionally lorry wheels, 5 tons upwards.

I remember my GTE being useless in snow and that was on 225/60 ZR14s. 

I had 50s on VW Rabbit and I could not reverse up our almost level driveway. It's mainly to do with the rubber composition. Studless snow tires work well on snow and ice but they wear down fast on dry roads and studded snow tires only last for a couple of seasons.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I had 50s on VW Rabbit and I could not reverse up our almost level driveway. It's mainly to do with the rubber composition. Studless snow tires work well on snow and ice but they wear down fast on dry roads and studded snow tires only last for a couple of seasons.

I found that in our weather, (which consists mostly of snow all day so it takes four times as long to get home from work, but melted everywhere except your driveway by next morning) that the Ideal vehicle in which to chug past all those fwd hatchbacks has a three on the tree gearbox and 7.00-15 bias belt tyres.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Aircraft manuals online

A few months back I attended a model railway exhibition that was based on a 1930s seaplane base with one of these just come off the slipway and into the water. Superb modelling, and although the Railway bit itself seemed so far back you could hardly see it, nobody seemed to care. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My uncle flew AVRO Ansons which were clapped out by 1948 and apparently bits regularly fell off them.

Many of the were built in the huge factory at Yeadon next to Leeds Bradford Airport, along with about 1000or more Lancaster.  You an stilseeltheconcretebridhe they came across to taxi to the runway to be flown out. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The last time we took FiL to Yeovil to see his brother (both now departed this life), a visit to the FAA museum was requested. He had personal expreriences relating to some of the exhibits, and the Walrus was 'not an aircraft anyone would choose to fly in'. (As for the Corsair which he had been converted onto in Canada in preparation for Tiger Force, 'deeply scary'.)

I was told by an ex FAA pilot that the Corsair had a reputation for having a very pronounced torque roll if one was at low speed and needed to open the throttle to go around.  One could not do it quickly.

Having watched pilots jiggling throttles to make a carrier landing, getting too low on approach in a Corsair was bum clenching.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2