Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Is the Shropshire Star still the regional equivalent of The Daily Star where imaginative reporting is concerned?

"Happy Hippo ate my Hamster"" type headline?

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Going from a two syllable word to a three syllable word to warn of an emergency situation seems like asking for trouble.

It (terminate) is not used for an emergency - it is used to terminate such things as air-to-air combat training or trials. The emergency word is stop stop stop.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

It (terminate) is not used for an emergency - it is used to terminate such things as air-to-air combat training or trials. The emergency word is stop stop stop.

Dave

Stop stop stop I'm familiar with, but terminate is a completely new one on me. My mother's side of the family were RAF, RFC even and my cousin's joined the RAAF, my father's side of the family were all army. 

I've always fancied learning how to fly, but then, I'd need to get myself an aircraft....

• Like 12

I'm back just about, using the on screen keyboard, so typing even slower than usual! Why? Last night I washed my pc keyboard  with a mug of Cappuccino (complete with froth and brown sugar on top)!

Going back to Apprentices and the above, many years ago I used to work near the benches where they repaired PCs used aboard RN Ships. First task was to strip them down and clean out the remains of someones Veg Soup or was it where someone had been calling Dewey & Louie's mate, The worst ones were saved for the Apprentices.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear was involved with an RN Trial at Abbers a few years ago and was surprised to hear that "Abort Abort Abort" had been replaced with "Terminate Terminate Terminate" for the very same reason; when I queried it I was told it was considered to be more P.C. for obvious reasons - despite that particular medical procedure also being referred to as a Termination.....

Its to confuse the Daleks.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

We have just stopped to drop off a birthday present for our son in law and then we are off to the wilds of Telfland.

Whilst we sit and enjoy a quick cup of coffee it appears I am in charge of entertaining the Guinea Pigs. (Well the grandchildren are both at school!)

• Like 6
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We have just stopped to drop off a birthday present for our son in law and then we are off to the wilds of Telfland.

Whilst we sit and enjoy a quick cup of coffee it appears I am in charge of entertaining the Guinea Pigs. (Well the grandchildren are both at school!)

Does that mean the previous headline was wrong?

Corrected version:

"Happy Hippo ate my Guinea Pig"....................

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Does that mean the previous headline was wrong?

Corrected version:

"Happy Hippo ate my Guinea Pig"....................

Well Hippo's are a bit bigger than Freddie Starr. 

Jamie

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Well Hippo's are a bit bigger than Freddie Starr. 

Jamie

Well I don't know what the guinea pigs are thinking - blimey is that what I'm going to look like when I grow up or perhaps - so that's what happens when you eat to much cake.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think that in this case he is using guinea pigs in the sense of those undergoing a trial, the trial in this case being made to watch a hippo drinking a cup of coffee. The mind boggles.

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that in this case he is using guinea pigs in the sense of those undergoing a trial, the trial in this case being made to watch a hippo drinking a cup of coffee. The mind boggles.

Dave

A bucketful for a 🦛 not a cup.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The normally calm and peaceful aura of Hunt Towers has been replaced in the last couple of days by the banging, crashing and shouting of what seems like a large crowd but is actually three or sometimes four blokes replacing most of the roof. However, they have now had to go for more materials and won't be back until Monday (i.e., they're knocking off early 'cos it's Friday)  and once more peace settles. The word is bliss.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15