Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of sheds (we were, weren't we?), I am thinking of one more, a small one of 10' x 10' or so just for the 52" cut lawnmower and other associated yard tooling. The main consideration will be the ability to ride the mower in as it is a beast to try and push!

05mar19-Lawnmowernew002.jpg.6e14ba5103b0414376016ae4690f8bd6.jpg

The door opening has to be at least 6' wide and 7' tall.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

27 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Speaking of sheds (we were, weren't we?), I am thinking of one more, a small one of 10' x 10' or so just for the 52" cut lawnmower and other associated yard tooling. The main consideration will be the ability to ride the mower in as it is a beast to try and push!

I thought Hustler was one of those dodgy 70s top shelf mags...

(It's content would be classed as "tame" compared with that available on the internet nowadays!)

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

37 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

My largest shed can easily accommodate my tractor complete with attached backhoe, or to be more accurate it could easily accommodate it if it wasn't for all the other carp in there. I thought 20 x 36 feet would be more than enough. Another 50% would maybe do the trick 😁

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Now that the Rover 75 has departed from the to end of the shedpwhich is 100 M Sq.  I am able to drive the lawn tractor I and then do a 3 point turn so I can drive it out when it's next needed.  Just saying. 

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I thought Hustler was one of those dodgy 70s top shelf mags...

(It's content would be classed as "tame" compared with that available on the internet nowadays!)

This is a Hustler:

image.png.3402dd44e35e11d823aea0e8d4f12a94.pngcontent://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1693940156785857040164.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

This is a Hustler:

image.png.3402dd44e35e11d823aea0e8d4f12a94.pngcontent://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1693940156785857040164.jpg

I remember one of those came into NAS Lemoore, CA when I was stationed there. When it departed, it probably woke up the surrounding area out to about twenty miles or more! Probably the nicest but fiercest looking bomber the USAF ever had!

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, AndyID said:

My largest shed can easily accommodate my tractor complete with attached backhoe, or to be more accurate it could easily accommodate it if it wasn't for all the other carp in there. I thought 20 x 36 feet would be more than enough. Another 50% would maybe do the trick 😁

No, Boyle's Law would be operating here and the carp would expand to fill the empty space. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Currently in Reading.

Tomorrow a train a from here to Gatwick.

A bit of a disjointed start as the drive was getting resurfaced today, so we had to partially load up and then shift the car to a neighbour's driveway last night.

20 tons of T*rm*c was being dropped on the neighbour's portion of the drive as we left.

Make a Hippo noise as you pass Blackwater, it's the nearest station on the line to us.  I'll listen out.

Just witnessed a meteorite coming down East from here, really bright but didn't here a sonic boom or a bang from impact.  No doubt it'll soon appear in home CCTV clips posted on news websites.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the three sheds (one falling down and the other two too small to be much use I also have a garage. It is adjacent to my property but I only rent it. Like most garages built before 1960 it is too small for a modern car so its used as storage for various tools that are too large for the sheds or need to be more secure such as my ladder. Also I keep my small trailer in there. It is the end garage of a block of four, each 16' X 8', I once had visions of purchasing all four and knocking them into one.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

That's a relief, just 400 Sq M in the main one plus 70 sqm in the woodshed and 18 Sq M  in the attached aviary where the hens (RIP) used to live

That's great news Ian. 

Jamie

Perhaps I need an extra column?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

This is a Hustler:

The B58. Not something I'd ever like to fly. Can you imagine what would happen if one of the outboard motors quit at Mach 2? It was notoriously difficult to fly and had very high takeoff and landing speeds. Nearly a quarter of them crashed.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The B58. Not something I'd ever like to fly. Can you imagine what would happen if one of the outboard motors quit at Mach 2? It was notoriously difficult to fly and had very high takeoff and landing speeds. Nearly a quarter of them crashed.

Dave

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......................

Later versions of the B-58 provided each crew member with a novel ejection capsule that could eject at an altitude of 70,000 ft (21,000 m) at speeds up to Mach 2. Unlike standard ejection seats of the period, a protective clamshell enclosed the seat and the control stick with an attached oxygen cylinder, allowing the AC to continue to fly even "turtled up" and ready for immediate egress. The capsule was buoyant; the crewmember could open the clamshell and use it as a life raft.  Unusually, the ejection system was tested with live bears and chimpanzees; it was qualified for use during 1963 and a bear became the first living being to survive a supersonic ejection.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Just witnessed a meteorite coming down East from here, really bright but didn't here a sonic boom or a bang from impact.  No doubt it'll soon appear in home CCTV clips posted on news websites.

It does not become a meteorite until it touches the Earth; the atmosphere does not count.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Unusually, the ejection system was tested with live bears and chimpanzees; it was qualified for use during 1963 and a bear became the first living being to survive a supersonic ejection.

Did he get cake?

Dave

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I got the two breakdown vans I'm making finished to the stage of painting and sprayed them with red oxide undercoat. Tomorrow is topcoat time, which is something I always dread. I feel a nerve calming libation coming on.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have been to Reading.

Oh, wait, not that one! 🙂

I'm sure I've told this story before but a few months after we moved to Reading, Berks, we received a postcard from one of my wife's former Polish colleagues that had spent over a month in the post and had a US Postal Service rubber stamp "Not Reading, PA". The sender had forgotten to write "Anglia" or "Wielka Brytania".

Another of my wife's colleagues from Poland, an American, visited us. At first she pronounced our town's name Reading, as in reading a book, but being a skilled linguist it didn't take her more than a few minutes to start saying "Redding".

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm sure I've told this story before but a few months after we moved to Reading, Berks, we received a postcard from one of my wife's former Polish colleagues that had spent over a month in the post.......

Ten years ago we went to visit a friend in Spain who said, "I didn't know you'd been to Australia again." We told her that we hadn't since our last time there three years before. "Oh," she said, "Only I got a postcard from you last week that was sent in Australia." The mind boggles as to where it had been for three years.

Dave

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ten years ago we went to visit a friend in Spain who said, "I didn't know you'd been to Australia again." We told her that we hadn't since our last time there three years before. "Oh," she said, "Only I got a postcard from you last week that was sent in Australia." The mind boggles as to where it had been for three years.

Now just the other day we got a postcard from my brother and his family, who were on holiday in Valencia (Spain, not Ireland). it was a while before it dawned on me that the picture was of St Marks Square ans it was from Venice on their Interrail trip last April. I'll expect their card from Spain roundabout Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

This afternoon I got the two breakdown vans I'm making finished to the stage of painting and sprayed them with red oxide undercoat. Tomorrow is topcoat time, which is something I always dread. I feel a nerve calming libation coming on.

Dave

You're not alone there, but I dread applying transfers even more!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2