Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Always liked estate agents adverts in Western Australia:

House for sale - With large shed(s).

Priorities. A bloke needs a shed.

My friends who live in rather rural Norfolk have  added to their garden by purchasing adjacent plots of land, some quite small if they become available. When we meet one of the questions is always “how many sheds have you got now?”  I think it was a maximum of 13 but some were only held up by the plants growing through them. The last purchase did include stables but they didn’t look safe either. There was an electric light on the stable wall. My friend traced the cable back to another house nearby. The “current” owner knew nothing about how or why it was connected so it was removed. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I have obviously dodged another bullet. This time yesterday I was being prepped for a thyroid op. The doc has just popped in to say I can go home lunchtime - and the path lab has told him there is no trace of cancer in the lump he removed. Life may proceed in its usual chaotic way, 

That must be a relief.

• Agree 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

18 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My friends who live in rather rural Norfolk have  added to their garden by purchasing adjacent plots of land, some quite small if they become available. When we meet one of the questions is always “how many sheds have you got now?”  I think it was a maximum of 13 but some were only held up by the plants growing through them. The last purchase did include stables but they didn’t look safe either. There was an electric light on the stable wall. My friend traced the cable back to another house nearby. The “current” owner knew nothing about how or why it was connected so it was removed. 
Tony

Some friends of mine live in a downstairs flat converted from a 1930s semi. They have the back yard and a shed. 

The upstairs flat have use of the single garage. My friend's electric bill was a little high until he found out that the neighbours were using the garage to develop photographs for their business.

The garage, being as old as the house, was still connected to the downstairs ring main.

We only found out when the chap living upstairs passed away at only fifty and as I have the use of a van, I got the job of clearing the garage.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Do you think that posting about my 35ft x 20ft brick built shed with 30ft x 3ft 6in layout, workbenches for Jill and me, central heating and lots of cupboards and shelves would get me into trouble then? Maybe I'd better not mention it. Come to that, would mention of a large double garage upset Bear? All in all, best not I guess.

Dave 

Bear is currently sobbing uncontrollably.....

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago there was a tv series called "Aussie Men and their sheds".

On one programme a guy says "A bloke can't have too many sheds - I've got seven...."

Later on he says "A bunch of us were with our mate Dave in his shed a while back - we didn't bale out until 2 in the morning.  Later that day I got a call from his wife Sheila that Dave had died that morning, so we all rushed round there to help her sort out the shed".

Momma Bear:  "Never mind his poor bluddy wife - just worry about what's in the bluddy shed....."

Bear came rather close to p1ssin' himself laughing.

• Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is currently sobbing uncontrollably.....

Have you considered migrating to the Midlands or further north? Or alternatively, our neighbours are still planning to move to Cornwall, so there would a suitable property next to us, with a big garage and enormous shed. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't worry Jamie I've gone digital so you can have as many lines as you want.

That's a relief, just 400 Sq M in the main one plus 70 sqm in the woodshed and 18 Sq M  in the attached aviary where the hens (RIP) used to live

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I have obviously dodged another bullet. This time yesterday I was being prepped for a thyroid op. The doc has just popped in to say I can go home lunchtime - and the path lab has told him there is no trace of cancer in the lump he removed. Life may proceed in its usual chaotic way, 

That's great news Ian. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Currently in Reading.

Tomorrow a train a from here to Gatwick.

A bit of a disjointed start as the drive was getting resurfaced today, so we had to partially load up and then shift the car to a neighbour's driveway last night.

20 tons of T*rm*c was being dropped on the neighbour's portion of the drive as we left.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I wilwTch out for low flying tail twirling Hippo's heading for Bordeaux then. l better hie the secret jam stash then. 

Jamie

We are arriving early to avoid all the Welsh touroids who will arrive just prior to the match.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We are arriving early to avoid all the Welsh touroids who will arrive just prior to the match.

And will you be staying until the end of October for the final?

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Have you considered migrating to the Midlands ……..

Good thinking Tony. If you move to North Hipposhire, Bear, you could rent some space in our shed (and maybe garage) 🤗

Dave

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

And will you be staying until the end of October for the final?

Had we bought a camper van like NHN has, we would have stayed and toured between matches.  As it stands we go Bordeax for Wales v Fiji, then from Bordeaux to Nice for the second Welsh pool game against Portugal, then fly   back on 20 Sep so I can go to the Stafford show the following weekend.

Then it's back to Nantes via the ferry to St Malo for the last pool game against Georgia, at which we will be joined by my brother and sister in law.

We'll come back on (I think) 10/11 Oct, and it will be back to more railway stuff getting PN ready for the BRMC open day in November.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

T*rm*c  HH?

Have you checked that out with Brian?

😇

Dave

I didn't  organise it.

Our neighbour who is a Chinese Liverpudlian sorted it out.

I think she hired a gang more used to resurfacing motorways with the amount and quality of the kit they turned up with.

• Like 7
  • Funny 7

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A bit of a disjointed start as the drive was getting resurfaced today, so we had to partially load up and then shift the car to a neighbour's driveway last night.

20 tons of T*rm*c was being dropped on the neighbour's portion of the drive as we left.

On the subject of driveways, and contractors - rest assured my lips are sealed, and my keyboard disconnected !

Enjoy La belle France Hippo.

Albeit one suspects, for Wales,   it'll be like when Ponty & Pop roganised the annual Aberflyarff RFC end of season tour to Porthcawl - "a long weekend away with a game thrown in"

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, polybear said:

Back in the 80's a guy at work fitted a new tank that was covered in "insulation" - he moaned like f. that it took him hours to get the packing off (yes, really....)

Unusual for me I know but I'm possibly going to be slightly controversial here 😆

Water heaters are a racket! I suppose gas might be be better if it's less expensive than electricity where you live but if there's not much in it all you need is a large tank which has two immersion heaters. The tank does need to be well insulated and if it is there will be almost no energy loss at all. All the energy consumed by the immersers will heat water and the water will still be at the same temperature many days later.

I know this to be true because that's how we heat our water. The tank is in a cupboard under the stair. There is virtually no energy loss from the tank because the cupboard is never any warmer than anywhere else. Also there is virtually no energy loss to convection in the water lines because there are heat traps on the lines to prevent convection.

• Like 6