Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I regret to report that my granddaughter's  pet Guinea Pig, 'Fluttershy' was put to sleep this morning.  Of course there will be another, as 'Fluttershy' had a companion, who is already very lonely.  It was made worse by the poor little thing falling ill whilst the family where away on holiday.

In less tragic news, my new outdoor woodworking room has arrived and is currently living in three large boxes stacked against the side of the garage.

I can guarantee that the floor, which has to go down first, will be in the box that is closest to the garage wall, so I will have to shift the other two first!

Construction will probably start tomorrow afternoon, and should be completed on Sunday.

It will then take the rest of the year to populated this mini palace with all my woodworking kit and spare timber.

Only then will I have enough space in the garage to breathe whenever I walk in there🤣.

You really should have split that post; I had a difficult time deciding whether to "rate" it for Fluttershy's passing or the arrival of the shed. I ended up going with the shed although the passing of a pet is never really ok.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Managed to log in to Avanti trains web site and book tickets with only one hiccup that required starting again (it wouldn't let me use my wrinkly railcard first time of trying for some reason) so not much shouting at the screen. One of us must be improving.

And the sciatica is calming down so shed here I come!

Dave

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

It probably means that once the shed is filled to the brim, there will be enough room in the garage to start sorting the stuff remaining!

Highly unlikely, the stuff left in the garage will expand to fill the space..

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I know, but its best not to discourage HH by pointing out the obvious too soon...

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Garages are a sub-set of Terry Pratchett's L-space in that all garages are linked in G-space so that if one is partially emptied and/or tidied, things from other garages will filter through the thin membranes of reality and fill it up again; in the process the contents will be affected by the n-dimensions whirlwinds so that it will become untidy. This process is similar to other sub-sets such as C-space (modellers' cupboards) and the W-space of workshops.

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Matthew’s first hamster “Zippy’ died while we were in holiday. The owner of the hamster hotel where Zippy had been booked in while we were in Devon had been unable to contact us for a few days, there wasn’t a mobile signal where we were were staying. She asked us what we wanted to do with Zippy. I asked what she had done and she said Zippy was currently in the freezer. So we collected her  when we returned home. She was the first in what was a small pet rodent graveyard. 

RIP Zippy.

This Zippy lives on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zippy_the_Pinhead

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Garages are a sub-set of Terry Pratchett's L-space in that all garages are linked in G-space so that if one is partially emptied and/or tidied, things from other garages will filter through the thin membranes of reality and fill it up again; in the process the contents will be affected by the n-dimensions whirlwinds so that it will become untidy. This process is similar to other sub-sets such as C-space (modellers' cupboards) and the W-space of workshops.

Dave 

This is so.

I may have mentioned, at some time or another, that I am attempting to "sort out" my garage, which is still filled with boxes unsorted since moving over 18 months ago.  I am constantly coming across boxes of stuff that I have no recollection of packing and don't know why I would have packed it!

Its a process of two steps forward, three steps back....

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Winslow Boy said:

Where's Bungle then? For you

youngsters there was Zippy & Bungle puppets when I was a mere slip of a lad. Pure innocent fun.

Puppets?  They weren't Puppets.....

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

Just now, polybear said:

Puppets?  They weren't Puppets.....

Well they had hands shoved up there ....... I leave the rest of your imaginations. So if they weren't puppets someone was enjoying themselves.

And zips for mouths.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Where's Bungle then? For you

youngsters there was Zippy & Bungle puppets when I was mer slip of a lad. Pure innocent fun.

Not that innocent..

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

This is so.

I may have mentioned, at some time or another, that I am attempting to "sort out" my garage, which is still filled with boxes unsorted since moving over 18 months ago.  I am constantly coming across boxes of stuff that I have no recollection of packing and don't know why I would have packed it!

Its a process of two steps forward, three steps back....

Only 18 months, that's nothing there are boxes in the dark recesses of our shed that have been there since we moved here 5 years ago.  Some have ivy growing over them.  AS to what's under the tarpaulin that was left by the previous owner I shudder to think.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Only 18 months, that's nothing there are boxes in the dark recesses of our shed that have been there since we moved here 5 years ago.  Some have ivy growing over them.  AS to what's under the tarpaulin that was left by the previous owner I shudder to think.

Jamie

Under those tarpaulin sheets could be either an old fitted kitchen they were going to reuse or a 1938 Mercedes / Lagonda / Talbot-Lago / Delahaye ...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Under those tarpaulin sheets could be either an old fitted kitchen they were going to reuse or a 1938 Mercedes / Lagonda / Talbot-Lago / Delahaye ...

Sadly the car that got left behind was a Rover 75, I gave that away this year.  Most of it is gardening tools from someone whose ex wife was renting space in the shed.   We know her as the Poison Dwarf.  

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It might be another Rover?

Just seen your reply about tools!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

Or a disconnected chest freezer containing the remains of an unwanted relative...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

51 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well they had hands shoved up there ....... I leave the rest of your imaginations. So if they weren't puppets someone was enjoying themselves.

And zips for mouths.

Twenty years later Zippy starred as The Gimp in Pulp Fiction....

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Sadly the car that got left behind was a Rover 75, I gave that away this year.  Most of it is gardening tools from someone whose ex wife was renting space in the shed.   We know her as the Poison Dwarf.  

Jamie

I'd have been happy had it been a Rover 2000 from about 1965.

A 75? That's either a ponderous rust bucket from the fifties or a pound shop BMW, not good. 

But you have my sympathy when it comes to being lumbered with O.P.S. (Other People's  Shi... Stuff...) in your garage.

It was only going to be there for a couple of weeks wasn't it? 

You end up having to fall out with people half the time to get shot of it.

Edited by MrWolf
General illiteracy
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I've lived in this house for 35 years, I still find things that I'd completely forgotten or didn't know I had.

A bit like the old bloke who lives in our spare bedroom:

'What do you mean, my smelly old uncle? I thought he was your smelly old uncle!'

• Like 1
  • Funny 14