Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

I had a similarly frustrating experience when a letter from the electoral roll dropped through our door. 

We entered the two codes into the council website, followed by our postcode in the requested format.

Not recognised.

Try again.

Not recognised.

Try again....

You get the idea.

Next morning I walked the 300 yards to the town hall and spoke to a human being and within five minutes Miss Riding Hood and I were registered to vote.

Now if only there was anyone worth voting for.....🙄

• Like 12
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Lorna bought some T-shirts to send to our grandchildren. There seem to be about seven of them.

I liked these.

DSCN6041.JPG.3ef7808f3e684ef873b0a7e26b89fe59.JPG

DSCN6040.JPG.37c54fdfc3674c6ac9c8542a03c627fc.JPG

The second one is quite clever. It's all printed, including the masking tape 😄

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 5

It's not so easy to keep track. There are two in California, two in Washington State, two in Michigan and one in New Jersey.

As tracking the birthdays is a bit tricky they all might have to share the same "official" birthday.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

….The other was the way that mature students from skilled trades were sent to Coventry by the staff and received absolutely zero mentoring, all I can surmise is that we were seen as a threat.…

They were probably indeed seen as a threat.

Nowadays, it does seem that the western world has diverged significantly from much of Asia in regards to how it regards age and experience. In many Asian countries, age and experience is highly prized. In Japan they have something called Living National Treasure (more properly Preservers of Important Intangible Cultural Properties) who are considered the very best exemplars of various Japanese Performing Arts and Japanese Crafts (including  metalworking!). I’m not sure what is the average age is of a Living National Treasure, but my impression is that it is about the mid 70s. Such treasures are supported by the Japanese government, who awards them a modest stipend of about ¥2 million (about £12,000) a year.

Another, to me, appeal of Japanese society is the respect given to those who dedicate their entire life to doing one thing perfectly (they’re called Shokunin, although a literal translation doesn’t really encompass what a Shokunin is). “Half-Ars3d” is definitely an alien concept in Japan.

Shokunin are seen in all walks of life: NHK showed a short report on one such Shokunin - a metalwork craftsman who was working to micrometer precision by eye. And a good Shokunin keeps going forever - like this Michelin starred Sushi Chef: https://medium.com/mind-cafe/shokunin-how-striving-for-perfection-can-help-you-live-a-better-life-88fc09394a09

It’s interesting to contemplate how a small start-up company would do if that company only hired very experienced people of mature age (do not apply if you are under 40), where “good enough“ is considered completely inadequate, where at every level of the company people listened to and heeded those with more experience than they (given that everyone’s experience is different, in such an environment one day you will listen, the next you will be listened to), hierarchical seniority is based on experience and ability (and not just by age or worse by bits of paper) and everyone can work at the company for as long as they are able to meet company standards and they want to work. And, critically, all of management has “come off the tools” (is that the right expression?)..

Such a company might not make the Fortune500 list, but I think it might be a bloody good company to work for.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

At Aditi’s FE college her subject geography was stopped as it was expensive due to fieldwork requirements. Fortunately she avoided redundancy by reinventing herself as as a sociologist, which is cheap to teach. 

Legendary:

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Everything really has been dumbed down, at our induction for PGCE, the lecturer told us gleefully that the tech teachers we remembered with brown smocks covered in enameled train badges were all gone, in the name of progress and streamlining the subject.

Such tech teachers have long since realised that (a) there's much more money to be made working in Industry** now that decent techs. are starting to get thin on the ground, and (b) spending your life trying to teach many (not all) of the kids appearing in College Workshops will rapidly make you lose the will to live - or sent down for murder.

(Incidentally, (b) above comes from two Tech. Teachers I know).

(**Try recruiting a Welding Teacher, for example)

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

In Japan they have something called Living National Treasure (more properly Preservers of Important Intangible Cultural Properties) who are considered the very best exemplars of various Japanese Performing Arts

Ours  has Kylie and Russell Crowe on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Living_Treasure_(Australia)#Current_list

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

"Was it a b*st*rd?"

"Are you sayin' I don't know who my Dad is?"

It was half-cut too...

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I had a similarly frustrating experience when a letter from the electoral roll dropped through our door. 

We entered the two codes into the council website, followed by our postcode in the requested format.

Not recognised.

Try again.

Not recognised.

Try again....

You get the idea.

Next morning I walked the 300 yards to the town hall and spoke to a human being and within five minutes Miss Riding Hood and I were registered to vote.

Now if only there was anyone worth voting for.....🙄

The envelope also tells you not to ignore it.

Inside, if your details are correct, you are told to ignore it.

No matter what, there should have to be some sort of confirmatory action to take, if only to prove that you've READ the bl00dy thing!

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

The algorithm of the social media formerly known as Twitter seems to think I like news about hippos. Just observed Fritz the hippo at Cincinnati Zoo being fed. Apparently he will open his mouth following a signal. I think he had his keeper well trained.

Tony

• Like 8
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And, critically, all of management has “come off the tools” (is that the right expression?). Such a company might not make the Fortune500 list, but I think it might be a bloody good company to work for.

Working in a council payroll office I had to deal with the managers of different departments. Those that had come off the tools were always the most helpful and ready to accept advice. Also they new their own job back to front and everybody else in their department, in fact the refuse manager started out as a road sweeper. The worst managers were those parachuted in from other councils with little experience but plenty of paper qualifications. Fortunately many didn't stay that long, often not long enough to clean up the mess left by their predecessors. Of the latter, some added to the mess and others got out as soon as they saw what had to be done.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Fortunately many didn't stay that long, often not long enough to clean up the mess left by their predecessors.

Aditi had a fairly senior role in her department at college. When the Head of Dept was off on sick leave,  instead of making Aditi acting head they brought someone in from an agency. Instead of keeping everything running she implemented a lot of changes. Basically so she could put “implemented and managed radical change” on her CV. When the head of dept returned he and Aditi had to put everything back. The temporary manager had never understood why the department did certain things the way they did. A lot of their students were mature students, often single parents so timetabling took into account school pickup and drop off times. This didn’t fit nicely into a  room use algorithm but really did help attendance and student retention. 
Tony

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That doesn't surprise me in the least. I've seen quite a few rather depressing things from young "apprentices" sent on day release to college who spend the entire day playing on their phones, to those with a masters in mechanical engineering who didn't know which way to unscrew the wheel nuts on his car....

There was also the small matter of being asked by the head of the design technology department to have a dig around in my junk pile at home in order to show a class of sixteen year olds who were two weeks from their final exam some examples of spot welds, brazing and MIG welding, as well as samples of aluminium, brass, stainless steel and cast iron.

Everything really has been dumbed down, at our induction for PGCE, the lecturer told us gleefully that the tech teachers we remembered with brown smocks covered in enameled train badges were all gone, in the name of progress and streamlining the subject.

This was very true in My profession. Accelerated promotion for a select few bagan in the 60's. Everyone else had to cIImb the ladder from the bottom.  It took me 21 years to get to Inspector for instance..  In the mid 70's a

NewlyT Minted ex special Course Superintendent was in a Radio room near me when he heard a PC being told to attend a domestic dispute.  He asked to be taken there as he had never been to a domestic. Words failed me. One of the major problems at Hillsborough was over promoted and inexperienced senior officers. An old Ch. Insp got a lot of pause for the way that he got a grip of things eventually. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14