Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Would a straight 45 angle work?

I remember cutting coving with a straight 45 and getting a big hole in the middle, but lovely mitres at the extremities. 

I recall that there is some sort of complex angle to cut  at 45 to both the horizontal and vertical at once

Of course it could just be I did it from the wrong side and confused myself but that's not hard. 

Amdy

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:
6 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

A few weeks ago I towed a boat to it's launching site, in a field, picked the hitchlock keys out from under the armrest of the truck, ah I need to do something else first, so carefully put the keys in a back pocket. Can you see this coming yet? Went back to hitchlock, keys not in pocket(!), checked other pockets, searched the grass that I had just walked across, checked pockets again, checked various places where I could have put the keys, raked the grass. Had to ask someone else to unlock the hitchlock, I wasn't to be trusted! Next day a friend used his Magnet Fishing magnet to search the area. Keys still not found and my reputation is way low. Hey ho.  

Did you check back under the armrest??

yep, but next time I look there I wonder ....

Edited by Canal Digger
word detail
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Of course it could just be I did it from the wrong side and confused myself but that's not hard. 

My Dad always said measure twice and cut once. Unfortunately his skills at doing anything with what are now called “resistant materials” didn’t seem to transfer to me. My version would be measure twice, cut and make use of filler.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

57 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I remember cutting coving with a straight 45 and getting a big hole in the middle, but lovely mitres at the extremities. 

I recall that there is some sort of complex angle to cut  at 45 to both the horizontal and vertical at once

Amdy

The trick is to position it with one face vertical and the other horizontal then make a vertical 45 degree cut.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The pagoda roof profiles are elliptical

Spoilsport!

In the end I'll probably resort to my original plan - poke it till it looks right. In N gauge it's only about 40x16mm so precision engineering isn't going to be possible around here.

But those pics of the Intentio kit are helpful.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The pagoda roof profiles are elliptical.

The ones at right angles look like constant radius arcs. The corner pieces at 45 degrees have to be elliptical cos that's what happens when you slice a cylinder at an angle 🙂

Screenshot(56).png.4c1661b32d7374f0b6519c715c0a2485.png

Edited by AndyID
added pic
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Well today has been a little better

I seem to have shook off the cannawantos of the last couple of days, but regardless of being busy all day I feel I have achieved little. 

I have refurbished and painted the wooden planter so it hasn't been a complete loss 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

A couple of days ago after my trip to Tours @The Fat Controller, IIRC was mentioning some new locos for Eurotunnel.   I think that this is one of them that I photographed in 2021just before I took a dive into a set of railings and ended up having my head stapled.   Beth did comment that she wished it was my mouth.  

P9071330.JPG.b77d3e0554027575cacb48ca087bd713.JPG

It's parked outside the SOCOFER works at Saint Pierre des Corps.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A couple of days ago after my trip to Tours @The Fat Controller, IIRC was mentioning some new locos for Eurotunnel.   I think that this is one of them that I photographed in 2021just before I took a dive into a set of railings and ended up having my head stapled.   Beth did comment that she wished it was my mouth.  

P9071330.JPG.b77d3e0554027575cacb48ca087bd713.JPG

It's parked outside the SOCOFER works at Saint Pierre des Corps.

Jamie

The logo looks a wee bit phallic or possibly resembles a certain US hand signal 😄

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, AndyID said:

cos that's what happens when you slice a cylinder at an angle 🙂

I am sure that is something that was an exercise in O level Geometrical and Engineering Drawing. I was really bad at that subject and the teacher was going to enter me for the CSE exam but forgot so I did the O level instead and just passed. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am sure that is something that was an exercise in O level Geometrical and Engineering Drawing. I was really bad at that subject and the teacher was going to enter me for the CSE exam instead but forgot so I did the O level instead and just passed. 

Technical drawing was one of the few things I was quite good at 😄

Nowadays I draw everything in CAD. I use TurboCAD. A while back the patent office rejected my application because my drawings were too scruffy to publish so I forced myself to learn TurboCAD. It was only two dimensional back then but now it's fully 3-D which is great for 3-D printing.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am sure that is something that was an exercise in O level Geometrical and Engineering Drawing. I was really bad at that subject and the teacher was going to enter me for the CSE exam but forgot so I did the O level instead and just passed. 

Yes, it was all about developing conic sections...

But that WAS a long time ago, and the details escape me.

GED and Workshop Theory and Practice (aka Metalwork) were fun subjects!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Technical drawing was one of only two subjects that I passed at the end of my only year at University, the other was Chemical Process Principles.  Nowadays I use CAD. 

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I missed the bottom step going down the stairs and fell catching the small draw unit . Nasty gash and bruise on my arm plus badly bruised ribs.

Stairs can be dangerous - many years ago a friend is believed to have fallen backwards down stairs which in some circumstances might not have caused too much damage but he hit his head on the hall table which had been made from an old cast iron sewing machine stand - killed him.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darlington_Shed said:

In the end I'll probably resort to my original plan - poke it till it looks right.

According to my old Mum, if you poke it it will never get better.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

After celebrating the end of the construction phase of the great kitchen cockup rebuild last night we were brought down to earth this morning by discovering two leaks so I had to grovel about under and behind units to find out where they were coming from. One is in a joint where the dishwasher drain joins the main waste pipe and despite trying to tighten it I was unable to fix it. After further examination I now think that there should be some sort of gasket/washer in the joint so it's been reported to the plumber. The other is from the main stop valve and although it's only a slight weep that too has been reported. I knew we never should have started....

There was, however, one small victory. The materials supplied for the job were more than required despite a detailed plan being drawn up list so I rang the suppliers and they have agreed to take some of it back along with refunding several Deltics. I haven't let on to the management yet about the refund so it may just find its way into the modelling token account.

Dave  

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The pagoda roof profiles are elliptical.

The corners and ends being different from the side members.

This is a set of pictures from the Intentio kit.

20230629_184626.jpg

20230629_184631.jpg

20230629_184638.jpg

Plan B!   Create roof structure using formers similar to the wooden one above , out of card. Add a strip of thick card or plastic that runs around the formers about half way down them, as additional support as per slightly too thick bit in image below. . Measure length of curved top of roof former , cut a  strip this width that is long enough to do all roof pieces Cut 2 pieces for the roof width, 2 for the length. For each piece measure distance shown below and cut each piece at an angle to match this. If you are an Aplha Modeller these should all be equal and the angle should be a 45 degree mitre similar to my last post, but in reality if you are like me they are probably all a little different and should each be treated individually. Curve roof pieces and glue into place.

Screenshot(90).png.7bea5e513b84b7761f36a41f76958d84.png

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

Amdy

A 45 degree mitre box won't work on Coving - it has to be a pukka Mitre Box designed for coving.

Ask a Bear how he knows......

Incidentally, the exact position of the coving in the Mitre Box is also critical too.

Bear knows all about that one too.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

image.png.7f762dd92df3a5b1f01fa37a3d5bec0b.png

From the Chippenham News & Notice Board Fb page:

When Chippenham Library opened in Timber Street 50 years ago today, children discovered a large knitted hippo in the Children's Library. There was a competition to name the hippo and he was named Joseph by a 4-year-old boy. You can see Joseph in the black and white photo below.

Now we are 50, we thought it was time for a new hippo, but, of course, our hippo needs a name! If you'd like to enter our competition to name the library hippo, just pop into the library any time until Saturday. And don't forget our 1970s quiz tonight at 7.15 pm and special birthday story time on Saturday at 11am. You never know, there might be a few other birthday surprises too!

• Like 13