Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

they get off taking.up space  on Bondi Beach

Bl$$dy drafty place (hence good surfing because there's nothing stopping the waves rolling in  from New Zealand), and also home of the Bondi Long Sea Outfall for (part of) Sydney's sewage.

Manley an even bigger victim of the sewage.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Well maybe  just  pay your doctor's and nurses  a decent wage   and they won't all be rushing  down here, spending all the extra time they get off taking.up space  on Bondi Beach and you won't spend 2 days  waiting around in  A and E.

Knew you pick it up eventually. I suppose the delays due to the orbital rotation.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

When driving through Wales my Dad once had my Mum searching the map for ages looking for a place called Croeso because, he said, there were a lot of signs to it.

Dave

I remember going ashore in Capetown the first time I ever visited and feeling a deep sense of rage when I went looking for the way to the city centre and realised that rather than Capetown the idiots on the bridge had managed to navigate us to some god forsaken place called Kaapstad (no, I'd never heard of it either). Fortunately I managed to enjoy my run ashore despite this navigational failure, though there was a conspiracy of silence on-board an the blunder was never mentioned. I dunno how the cargo managed to reach us in the wrong port.

• Funny 15

18 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Bl$$dy drafty place (hence good surfing because there's nothing stopping the waves rolling in  from New Zealand), and also home of the Bondi Long Sea Outfall for (part of) Sydney's sewage.

Manley an even bigger victim of the sewage.

Are you from Melbourne?

• Funny 6

18 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Knew you pick it up eventually. I suppose the delays due to the orbital rotation.

No mate, just wanted to make sure you got it in the daytime cos I wasn't sure if they turn the power off there at night these days.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

Just now, monkeysarefun said:

No mate, just wanted to make sure you got it in the daytime cos I wasn't sure if they turn the power off there at night these days.

You need ain't have worried the sun is shinning and wind is blowing so we have power. For all else we just throw an environmentalist on the fire - there's plenty so we won't run out any time soon.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

On language, I am currently in a country where the national language, in which the national anthem is sung, is hardly spoken. There's a perhaps logical effect that many of the dominant ethnic Chinese speak Chinese (Mandarin or Hokkien) as their first language so you hear Chinese everywhere, but because English is the common language (and the language of business and administration) Malay and Tamil Singaporeans tend to use English most of the time outside the home. So Malay, the national language, is rarely heard.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You need ain't have worried the sun is shinning and wind is blowing so we have power. For all else we just throw an environmentalist on the fire - there's plenty so we won't run out any time soon.

And as a bonus they give off a nice Patchouli scent.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

We have batteries. Though to be accurate if the grid goes down, the inverter shuts down for safety reasons. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, polybear said:

That reminds me of a TV series in the mid 70's starring the late, great Bill Maynard:

"Oh No, it's Selwyn Froggit"

About time they replayed it on telly.

Hmm.  Very different characters; the thought of Selwyn Froggit running a pub is scary...  I once worked with a guy with definite Froggit tendencies, a well-meaning disaster area.  It was a lot of fun, but one learned to stand back a safe distance, it was occasionally quite dangerous!  He had all sorts of cuts and bruises but nothing serious ever happened to him.  He even looked a bit like Maynard, sort of crossed with Eric Morecombe.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And as a bonus they give off a nice Patchouli scent.

They tend to be a bit thin, though, too many Vegans, better used as kindling to get the fire going properly.  You need something with a less healthy lifestyle to burn properly

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

This evening Mrs SM42 has had a fit of the screaming ab dabs as she went out the back to empty the bin and found a dead pigeon on the patio. 

I was expected to deal with this as she would be sick

I wasn't allowed to bury it or throw it in the bin as she would be sick.

After I threatened to leave it where it was, I was eventually allowed to dispose of it. 

Note. I was allowed to deal with it. 

And she wants a cat. 

I've told her she can have one but she'll need to grow some and be able to deal with the presents they bring back. 

On today's evidence, I think we are safe from cat ownership. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

We tend to get a fair few birds and animals found dead around the Hippodrome.  Sometimes it's only bits of feather where it has been taken by a raptor or owl.  Local cats tend to play with their victim before finishing them off.  Sometimes they get taken home as presents, whilst others too big to easily carry, such as a baby rabbit will just get left.  I take the rabbit(s) over to our neighbour's field, and leave them in a prominent position where they will usually be scavanged by a buzzard.  Buzzards are very lazy birds and prefer to live off carrion rather than actively hunt.

Recently we have seen a few Red Kites appear.  Whether they have been blown out of their usual mid Wales haunts or if their range is increasing eastwards remains to be seen. (I suspect the latter).

Since they are also advancing up the M40 corridor, it will soon be wall to wall apart from an air exclusion zone around B'ham.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, The Johnster said:

Bonus points if you can find the connection between Red Kites and Subbuteo.  Double points if you can prove you didn’t google it!

Neither come up at auction  on a regular basis

Andy

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Bonus points if you can find the connection between Red Kites and Subbuteo.  Double points if you can prove you didn’t google it!

Is the red kite the one with double subbuteo as its Latin name?  I think it’s one of the raptors but not sure which one.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A class 306 in both DC and AC versions would be my choice. They also operated the Sheffield-Wath services, still in DC mode and blue/grey livery. Another EMU that should be made is the Mersey class 502/503. They carried plenty of liveries from LMS crimson lake to BR blue/grey. 

Both nice but probably the least viable two options you could have picked; both operated in very limited areas/routes.  A 304/305/308 range would potentially cover more areas through their operating life, but you would need quite a few different vehicles to cover the different types.

A much more practical (and maybe viable) model would be the 313/314/315/507/508 PEP-derived series, of which there are only three basic vehicle types with very little modification required between AC/DC/both versions and different livery options.  They also have a history of operation on large parts of the AC and DC networks.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

if they turn the power off there at night these days

No, this isn't Melbourne where they roll up the sidewalk at 9 pm because it isn't needed until the next day. This is the UK, where widespread power cuts in cold weather are still expected from 4:30 pm-6:30 pm, because the Government has absolutely denied this will happen (the power cuts not the cold weather).

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I remember going ashore in Capetown the first time I ever visited and feeling a deep sense of rage when I went looking for the way to the city centre and realised that rather than Capetown the idiots on the bridge had managed to navigate us to some god forsaken place called Kaapstad (no, I'd never heard of it either). Fortunately I managed to enjoy my run ashore despite this navigational failure, though there was a conspiracy of silence on-board an the blunder was never mentioned. I dunno how the cargo managed to reach us in the wrong port.

I do not see the problem, Kaapstad is Cape Town in Afrikaans. 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 4