Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

I find it pretty easy, but the lamps on my colliery engines mostly stay where they are put. 

The biggest problem is that the lamps that are moved about, on BR locomotives, have a tendency to sacrifice themselves to the Carpet Monster (layout lives in a bedroom, rented flat so I can't replace the Monster with wood panelled flooring) and the Carpet Monster is not good at returning them.  I've learned that if I can't see where the lamp fell straight away, I might as well forget it; some return to the land of the living by chance occasionally and it is worth sifting through the vacuum cleaner bag after a going over.  But I'm currently going through three or four lamps a month, and getting fed up with it, returning to the idea of some sort of tweezer-based lampholding tool to reduce the casualties.

Really, removable posable lamps on steam engines are easy and  I can't see why anyone would object to them.  Working removable posable lamps on steam engines, however...

• Like 6

6 hours ago, DaveF said:

There remains a large box of n gauge catenary parts - some will be used on my Swiss layout, the left overs should prove useful when I need fine wire for 0 gauge locos and stock.

David

Are there any bits going spare because I found some trams when sorting out my N gauge German stuff, and there is a plan sketched on the back of an envelop.  Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, DaveF said:

...snip... the contents of about 6 of them have gone in the bins.

...snip... Most of the switches are very old and will go in the bin 

...snip... David

Instead of throwing them out, why not keep them together and take them to the next train show and put them on the "free stuff" table?

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Instead of throwing them out, why not keep them together and take them to the next train show and put them on the "free stuff" table?

Or in the "Free" section of RMWeb - either post at cost or collect only.

Some items may even be desirable on the 'Bay.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I find it pretty easy, but the lamps on my colliery engines mostly stay where they are put. 

The biggest problem is that the lamps that are moved about, on BR locomotives, have a tendency to sacrifice themselves to the Carpet Monster (layout lives in a bedroom, rented flat so I can't replace the Monster with wood panelled flooring) and the Carpet Monster is not good at returning them.  I've learned that if I can't see where the lamp fell straight away, I might as well forget it; some return to the land of the living by chance occasionally and it is worth sifting through the vacuum cleaner bag after a going over.  But I'm currently going through three or four lamps a month, and getting fed up with it, returning to the idea of some sort of tweezer-based lampholding tool to reduce the casualties.

Really, removable posable lamps on steam engines are easy and  I can't see why anyone would object to them.  Working removable posable lamps on steam engines, however...

I did read somewhere that to change lamps could involve picking up the locos to move the lamps around. IMO - that's extra handling that today's finely detailed locos aren't too happy with, as well as being slightly impractical  as the re-railing process adds another layer of unreliability - definitely not good for an exhibition. The hand of god is bad enough for couplings, but physically removing the locos is a huge no-no in my book. 

I'd rather see incorrect or no lamps rather than the even more unprototypical physical intervention.

Unless someone could actually show how it was done to minimise the visual impact.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Yes, you said, I remember; one of the driving concepts behind the lamp-handling tweezers idea.  In fact it is only in some awkward locations that the loco or vehicle has to be handled, and mostly they don't; pausing during the runaround for water is a convenient spot, but I sometimes find GW bunker recessed lamp irons a bit awkward to get at.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

No need to pick up locos or vans etc, you need to think scientifically and more laterally.

We have magnetic couplers so why not magnetic lamps?

Neodymium magnets would be the answer.  A steel pin for the lamp iron and a magnet in the back of the lamp.

If you dropped them on the floor then passing a thin steel bar like a steel rule, low across the floor, would have the lamps collecting on the underside of the rule.

Knowing the sort of noise they'd make as they leapt out of the carpet, you could call it....

'Click and collect!'

Don't forget to use plastic tweezers🤣

Having solved the problem, we can now eagerly await the video.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 7
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

But yes sir, you can boogie....c'mon, we need to see you in action!

Wind me up and let me go,  where I stop nobody knows. 

Even to Baccara,'s lesser known hits and always to Disco Polo

Milosc w Zakopanem anyone?

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I had lamps on my Hornby O gauge about 70 years ago.  By the time I found out what I was supposed to do with them, they had all disappeared.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

6 hours ago, SM42 said:

Wind me up and let me go,  where I stop nobody knows. 

Even to Baccara,'s lesser known hits and always to Disco Polo

Milosc w Zakopanem anyone?

Andy

I think we've just been insulted.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having solved the problem, we can now eagerly await the video.

Weren't you offering your video services awhile back? Maybe yourself and @The Johnstercould oblige?

I'm sure a video of magnetic lamp changing would be an attractive proposition 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Weren't you offering your video services awhile back? Maybe yourself and @The Johnstercould oblige?

I'm sure a video of magnetic lamp changing would be an attractive proposition 

I don't know whether I would enter into that end of Cardiff without 40 Cdo RM in support.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I finally looked up Disco Polo on YouTube, and having looked at the pictures, I'm hooked!

In the interests of perhaps expanding my narrow-minded culture, I followed your example, briefly. I have now gone back to Deep & Dope Bonus 019 by JaBig. Music remains a very personal matter....

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Update:

Disco Polo still running in background🤣!

It's only a matter of time before Akcent appears and I reckon you will be shakin your thing by the end of the day as the incessant beat ( for those who haven't tried, think Stock, Aitken and Waterman on acid) wears you down.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nyda says that at least it makes a change from whaling wimmen, or the opposite end of the spectrum, with Iron Maiden, Nightwish or Powerwolf

Like wot I sed, music is so personal!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward to Ireland v Scotland this afternoon. 

Less enthusiastic about France v Wales next weekend. Suspect we might well get stuffed. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm looking forward to Ireland v Scotland this afternoon. 

Less enthusiastic about France v Wales next weekend. Suspect we might well get stuffed. 

I am hoping for the slightly less vigorous, slight spanking.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1