Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Any volunteers out there to come and shovel 4 tons of soil into the raised beds.....

Jamie

I would, but instinct would make me shovel it into your pool to create....

image.png.5ef6f9809d30348cdbdbb894d5264b18.png

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I would, but instinct would make me shovel it into your pool to create....

image.png.5ef6f9809d30348cdbdbb894d5264b18.png

It's funny how your eyes and brain occasionally work as per my initial reading of the above.........

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Roundabouts?  So old hat. With the recently completed refurbishment of Douglas Promanade, we now have the roads planners latest idea - Roundels.  A set of concentric circles to look pretty and no other road markings - no give way, single or double dotted lines, nowt.  Even the police didn't know what to make of them and gave out conflicting advice.  we are now told to deal with them as 'unmarked junctions', therefore no right of way to anyone.  The idea, apparently, is that well mannered road users go slowly and let each other just filter in.  Yeah right.  Total chaos, and all insurance claims have to be 50/50 as neither party is in the right or wrong.  Add in 12 thousand visiting motorcycles TT week, and you may imagine what happens.

Mrs NHN has to drive over these several times a day in her duties, and her department (Fleet services - ie all govt vehicles) have made allowances for how many of the vehicles ae going to be damaged there!

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/government-u-turn-on-prom-roundel/

Thankfully our breweries are not controlled by this road planning department.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Any volunteers out there to come and shovel 4 tons of soil into the raised beds.....

Jamie

I could but I've got 200 bricks to move and I've got a bone in my leg. 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Roundabouts?  So old hat. With the recently completed refurbishment of Douglas Promanade, we now have the roads planners latest idea - Roundels.  A set of concentric circles to look pretty and no other road markings - no give way, single or double dotted lines, nowt.  Even the police didn't know what to make of them and gave out conflicting advice.  we are now told to deal with them as 'unmarked junctions', therefore no right of way to anyone.  The idea, apparently, is that well mannered road users go slowly and let each other just filter in.  Yeah right.  Total chaos, and all insurance claims have to be 50/50 as neither party is in the right or wrong.  Add in 12 thousand visiting motorcycles TT week, and you may imagine what happens.

Mrs NHN has to drive over these several times a day in her duties, and her department (Fleet services - ie all govt vehicles) have made allowances for how many of the vehicles ae going to be damaged there!

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/government-u-turn-on-prom-roundel/

Thankfully our breweries are not controlled by this road planning department.

Does the highway code apply on fraggle rock?  if so, what does that say about roundels - or is there no mention?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Roundels? Roundels? 

I don't think they're in the manual, so you should revert to not crossing the solid white line. 

Or are they way stop lines. 

Maybe priority to the left is the name of the game. 

Who knows? 

Confusion. Just what you need to improve road safety. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does the highway code apply on fraggle rock?  if so, what does that say about roundels - or is there no mention?

We have our own version.  Apparently a new version is being rushed out with roundels in!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

shovel it into your pool to create....

Ah.  Muddiwallo.  Son of Muddihollo.  Excellent for the cooling of those creatures which I referred to in my childhood as "Hippamus-potamus".  Because "Hippo" would have been just commonplace. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

I've seen two Beemers with working and correctly used indicators. One ..... was signing correctly

Ah.  I have found the answer to your conundrum.  A deaf Beemer.  Signing, as you say, because it can't hear.  

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Ah.  I have found the answer to your conundrum.  A deaf Beemer.  Signing, as you say, because it can't hear.  

I am led to believe that to the true aficionados, the cars are referred to as Bimmers.  Beemer is reserved for the donor cycle varieties from Bavaria

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

May I just interject at this moment. After all the amusing bet-maors about boomers - always thought they were russian typhoon class submarines out of of Murmansk, and beemers plus the IoM- Teach yourself to drive in two lessons, to just state that I'm a equal opportunities ranter. It wasn't just the above who didn't know what indicators are for.

There I feel so much better now that I've said that.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Well I have awoken to find ghat SM42 Towers is an almost completely snow free zone. 

Just a couple of small clumps remain here and there 

Very disappointing really.  I was hoping for the snowmageddon that they have been promising over ghe last two days. 

Not even enough to build a snowman. 

Pah!

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Under normal circumstances I would like a shot but, alas, I am the victim if some nonspecific lurgy on top of which I am trapped in the house by the three inches (76.2mm) of snow that fell last night.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

One of these days some genius will invent rock fall detectors to stop trains before they smash into them. Oh, wait a minute, they already did that on the West Highland line over a hundred years ago.

Yes, that was a rant.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2023 at 15:53, AndyID said:

I guess it was a cork-up associated with first/third angle projection.

After many years of being very underpaid for a fairly responsible and stressful job Dad resigned and went to work on the night shift inspection team of a manufacturer of assorted aircraft engine components for a few years before retirement age.  This was basically a job he had done 30 years before. Anyway one night he had a new machining of a prototype pump housing to inspect. He sent it back saying it wasn’t the device in the drawing. The machinist complained to the production manager that his work hadn’t been passed. The manager was quite insulting to Dad telling him basically he was a stupid old man and should stick to just measuring things not commenting on designs. Dad didn’t really want something to leave that was wrong but he had done his best. Well it came back as “not as specified”. Dad got an apology, and then got it as a public apology over the PA as the manager had shouted at him in front of other workers. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

After many years of being very underpaid for a fairly responsible and stressful job Dad resigned and went to work on the night shift inspection team of a manufacturer of assorted aircraft engine components for a few years before retirement age.  This was basically a job he had done 30 years before. Anyway one night he had a new machining of a prototype pump housing to inspect. He sent it back saying it wasn’t the device in the drawing. The machinist complained to the production manager that his work hadn’t been passed. The manager was quite insulting to Dad telling him basically he was a stupid old man and should stick to just measuring things not commenting on designs. Dad didn’t really want something to leave that was wrong but he had done his best. Well it came back as “not as specified”. Dad got an apology, and then got it as a public apology over the PA as the manager had shouted at him in front of other workers. 
Tony

I thought some TNMrs might not understand what we were banging on about so I tried to find a simple explanation of the difference between first and third on the WEB. There are plenty of them but all the ones I could find were completely useless. 🙁

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I recall reading, many years ago, about a bus garage that was being constructed. When the concrete roof beams were delivered they did not fit. Only then was it discovered that the drawing for the roof was 90 degrees out from all the other drawings.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I thought some TNMrs might not understand what we were banging on about so I tried to find a simple explanation of the difference between first and third on the WEB. There are plenty of them but all the ones I could find were completely useless. 🙁

I have an O Level in Geometrical and Engineering Drawing but I would struggle nowadays to explain such things but Dad was rather good at anything to do with engineering drawings. I really was awful.  In the example I gave he would have hated being humiliated publicly but I suspect he was rather pleased with the outcome. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

My uncle was an engineer who's main job was designing conveyor belt systems. One system he designed for a truck manufacturer was to carry large diesel engine blocks suspended beneath the conveyer belt. It was installed and was working perfectly until the first engine block struck and demolished a brick wall. Whoever laid out the specification didn't take the wall into consideration

• Like 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The drawing thing illustrates (is that a pun?) an assumption that technology does away with skills.

Nowadays almost all engineering drawings are electronic, and the old form of drawing is essentially dead for people below a certain age. I am 52, although I learned technical drawing I can't remember the last time I drew anything on paper.

However, people still need to understand drawing convention and to be able to read a drawing. Whether or not people can use a pencil or the software packages used today doesn't alter the fact that if they're using drawings they need to understand them.

I have seen some real howlers because people didn't understand projection, mistook valve symbols and such like.

I don't want to be too judgemental as I am now rusty on it all, as they say about skills, use them or lose them.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2