Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

18 minutes ago, polybear said:
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

No it isn’t, sounds like a perfectly cromulent pov to me!

Bear had to Google that big word.....

so did I, Google came back with the very helpful:

cromulent - Wiktionary

Wiktionary

https://en.wiktionary.org › wiki › cromulent

A humorous, intentionally morphologically opaque neologism and nonce word coined by American television writer David X. Cohen (born 1966) for “Lisa the ...

‎English · ‎Etymology · ‎Pronunciation · ‎Adjective

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sheds I've mentioned before, 

I have a muddling shed of 53ft , sadly not yet in use for muddling.

Gardening shed,

Home brew shed,

And what was the boat shed ( two tin garages) now being converted into the loom shed.

Plus the double garage that has the workshop in it.

Plus the mobile home 20ft by 30ft.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

No shed work today, apart from putting a couple of boxes into the workshop, but plenty of hot layout action in the garage.

Gordon Roden had come over this morning to help with a catch up session on Pantmawr North.

We'd decided that the point rodding needed putting into place before any more work was done on the 'busy' baseboard.  Although I did have a number of 7 mm scale components when compared to the Wills 4 mm version there was little difference apart from the cranks being fractionally smaller and the run between the rodding stools being slightly shorter.  Yet the stools and rods themselves were spot on for 7 mm when compared to the 7 mm stuff we had in the box.

It was such fun trying to assemble it and the morning's work resulted in about a quarter of what we need laid going down.  

Of course once it is down, it will need to be painted up and then ballasted around, and will be quite fragile compared to the rest of the permanent way components, but it does look quite good, and is a bit of an improvement over some 7 mm lines which are bereft of any impression of mechanical point control.

I'll be the first to admit that I would not like to apply it to a large and complex station area, because it is quite fiddly to align and put together.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I've realised that we have a second shed for the pool pump. I wondered whybit was a tad liw.  It turns out that a quirk of French planning laws classes buildi gscless that 5 sq mtrs and less than 2 metrw high are tax exemot from property taxes.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear had to Google that big word.....

I am on a campaign to bring it onto common usage, because, as Edna said, it’s a perfectly cromulent word.  It will embiggen your vocabulary…

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

No shed work today, apart from putting a couple of boxes into the workshop, but plenty of hot layout action in the garage.

Gordon Roden had come over this morning to help with a catch up session on Pantmawr North.

We'd decided that the point rodding needed putting into place before any more work was done on the 'busy' baseboard.  Although I did have a number of 7 mm scale components when compared to the Wills 4 mm version there was little difference apart from the cranks being fractionally smaller and the run between the rodding stools being slightly shorter.  Yet the stools and rods themselves were spot on for 7 mm when compared to the 7 mm stuff we had in the box.

It was such fun trying to assemble it and the morning's work resulted in about a quarter of what we need laid going down.  

Of course once it is down, it will need to be painted up and then ballasted around, and will be quite fragile compared to the rest of the permanent way components, but it does look quite good, and is a bit of an improvement over some 7 mm lines which are bereft of any impression of mechanical point control.

I'll be the first to admit that I would not like to apply it to a large and complex station area, because it is quite fiddly to align and put together.

I believe the real railway had this problem as well, but they were mob-handed.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I am on a campaign to bring it onto common usage, because, as Edna said, it’s a perfectly cromulent word.  It will embiggen your vocabulary…

Bear guessed that one.....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear is just wondering why @BR60103 has awarded ❤️'s to two posts that display sheds the size of Harrods......

Signed,

One Shed Bear (that's full) ...snip...

On facebook, cell phones, texting, the ❤️ usually means "love it" or like it very much; I wonder if @BR60103 was using it in that context.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nyda is drinking Creme de Cassis for medicinal purposes, so I am drinking Jameson's.

Purely for morale purposes, so she doesn't feel she is drinking alone.

I might need some crisps shortly to  start absorbing some of the alcohol.

If they don't, I can at least tell myself that I tried!🤣

• Like 6
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Your heroism won't be forgotten HH. Songs will be song and poetry written about your great sacrifice in the cause of..... I'll have to get back to you on that.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Oh don't go anywhere
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The Q mentioned he has a mobile home as a workshop. A (static) mobile home would make a great layout room and in event of a house move you can take the layout with you.

I'd be tempted to remove some of the internal walls, which might affect the structural rigidity for moving.  The usual layout is to have a corridor past the shower/toilet and kitchen, with a living room at one end and a bedroom at the other, which leaves room, just, for a track joining layout areas in these two main rooms, but the narrow baseboard holding it will block the main entrance doorway, hence the tempation to remove internal dividing walls.  Good heating is needed for winter use as cold air gets into the void underneath; my 'rents had one for several years at Ham Manor site, Llantwit Major, lovely on summer weekends but I used it more than they did in the winters, as a sh*g pad, and know whereof I speak!

I am not able to confirm or deny that the steep bank behind it was an excellent place to find a certain type of recreational fungus, or actually, I am able, but I'm not going to...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Sheds are not put up in our area. Probably prohibited and there is a shortage of room.

I have had two sheds in my life. Both tin, neither big enough for a sheet of plywood. Used for storing garden tools.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It seems that SHED AID has stalled. Which is tragic, as no citizen of TNM should be without a shed (it’s in the constitution or summat).

I had a chat with some literary friends who were happy to donate examples of their work to raise money for SHED AID.

So coming to a bookstore near you (and available online) is. A Pome About A Shed and Other Literary Devices (for SHED AID)

Here’s a sample:

The stately sheds of England,   
How beautiful they stand!

Amidst their tall ancestral trees,   
O’er all the pleasant land.

Dogs in shed corners snooze

As men of layouts dream    
And tea (milk, two sugars please) 

is served - a constant stream.

William McGonagal

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 7

12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The stately sheds of England,   
How beautiful they stand!

Amidst their tall ancestral trees,   
O’er all the pleasant land.

Dogs in shed corners snooze

As men of layouts dream    
And tea (milk, two sugars please) 

is served - a constant stream.

William McGonagal

That is obviously a forgery! William McGonagall, being a Scottish poet, of Irish ancestry, would never have written in such glowing terms of buildings in a foreign land. Far more likely to have written of uninsulated bothies on the edge of windswept moors.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, pH said:

That is obviously a forgery! William McGonagall, being a Scottish poet, of Irish ancestry, would never have written in such glowing terms of buildings in a foreign land. Far more likely to have written of uninsulated bothies on the edge of windswept moors.

Obviously. His poems never rhymed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, pH said:

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Obviously. His poems never rhymed.

Maybe so. But SHED AID isn’t (yet?) attracting top-tier talent*, so I’m working with what I can get. If they claim to be William McGonagal and give me some free poems and prose, I’m not going to argue…

(*and the less said about LIVE SHED AID the better: Gilmour and Waters refused to team up and play and Ozzie said he he’s not coming out of retirement, than you very much)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I believe the real railway had this problem as well, but they were mob-handed.  

I don't think a mob would be much use working on a very small railway.

Laying in and cementing together lots of tiny components rather than laying it out and bolting it all up as per the prototype, is akin to Dave's fence built around the back of his Midland MPD.

When he started he had a full head of hair!

I think this was the first time I've really realised the disadvantage of losing one and a half finger tips on my dominant hand.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

When he started he had a full head of hair!

I have read of human hair being used for various modelling purposes such a knitting luggage racks or stringing post-and-rail fencing, but really, he must have a lot of fence for such a small layout...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Nyda  is off for an overnight guiding event this afternoon and is not back until tomorrow evening.

This means I can have a bit of a modelling fest.

I've already got the facing point lock fitted onto Pantmawr North, so now need to make a cover to hide it all!

Then I need to make up the rodding back to the site of the signal box.

I am not considering putting in the signal wires and the various detector rods and boxes on this model, although it would be an interesting project for the next layout... Except I'm considering on doing a freight only line with nothing but hand levers to simplify things🤣!

This would be much in the style of the Brian Rolley school of C2 working.

• Like 11