Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

I am happy to be able to report that I am now an Elite TNM member. (Elite membership requires a member achieve a significant self-inflicted wound.)

In my case it was financial rather than physical. While luxuriating in bed with my morning coffee I happened upon an email from the bank advising me that our checking (current) account had a balance of ZERO!

As there was several thousand bucks in it the last time I looked It didn't take me long to become fully awake. My initial reaction was that we'd been robbed but it didn't take me too long to realize that the enemy was me.

A few days ago I set a "bill pay" with the bank to pay the company the delivers our propane gas. Unfortunately I repeated one digit in the amount to be paid which had the effect of pretty much multiplying the not insubstantial amount by ten.

Panic calls to the bank and the propane supplier proved useless. There's no way to reverse or "short-circuit" the payment. It will have to go through then I'll have to request the supplier refunds the over-payment and it's going to take at least a week before we see it. We are fortunate that we have sufficient funds to handle this.

Next time it asks me to confirm the amount I'll be a bit more careful.

A case of too many fingers pushing the buttons. I can advise on that...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A case of too many fingers pushing the buttons. I can advise on that...

Do you use one of these? (I'm sure could photoshop a hippo paw (hippaw?) onto it.

image.png.7ee519201bf30d3850e4c016985ed569.png

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Done.

image.png.107fd0602a050253ec76fad7b9569c59.png

Add some keys to type in useful words with a single press and you can count this Bear in; let's see now......

LDC

Turdycurses

Piggin' Turdycurses

Tw@t

Cake

Pizza

Oven Chips

Puppers

Deltic......

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Serious question to answer my curiosity - is there any significance in the different coloured keys ??

I think it is related to impaired vision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Add some keys to type in useful words with a single press and you can count this Bear in; let's see now......

LDC

Turdycurses

Piggin' Turdycurses

Tw@t

Cake

Pizza

Oven Chips

Puppers

Deltic......

Alt+B = Bumblec**t

Alt+C = C*ckwomble

Alt+D = D*ckhead

Ctrl+U = I have control of you 🤣

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

I did wonder about that - is this one of those modern things?  A Y that identifies as a vowel?

Apparently some sources mention that y can be considered as a vowel in English  if there are no other vowels in the word., eg my or why.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Apparently some sources mention that y can be considered as a vowel in English  if there are no other vowels in the word., eg my or why.

Another example is "gym" (not to be confused with "Jim")

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I did wonder about that - is this one of those modern things?  A Y that identifies as a vowel?

Not modern, West of Offa's Dyke "Y" and "W" have identified as vowels for centuries.  I think Offa's Dyke would be given a different name now though.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 06/02/2023 at 15:17, Dave Hunt said:

I once scored a try when we got a line out on the opposition’s ten yard line. I got the ball but for some reason the opposition had decided that the guy at the back of the line was the intended target and all turned round. I suddenly found myself with the ball and no-one between me and the try line and even as a No. 8 rather than one of the greyhounds I managed to get there unopposed.

Dave

My last try was achieved when the opposition over-tapped a lineout on their five metre line (Rugby had gone all metric by then).  I was already hunting down the scrum half so it was merely a wee diversion and a flop on the ball.  Our fly half suggested I should have picked up the ball and sprinted under the posts.  My response was that with my handling skills, a knock-on was a more likely outcome.   Bill

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I should have picked up the ball and sprinted under the posts.  

The fly half was oblivious to Front row Rule No 3:

No picking up the ball

Or Rule No 4:

Running and sprinting is expressly prohibited.  Only lumbering is permitted

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Like system

One of those rules like i before e except after c. 

The latter rule has apparently been disproved by science 

Andy

• Funny 9

50 minutes ago, bbishop said:

So can W.  Obviously not a Welsh keyboard.

I refuse to return to Wales. The last time I was there I clonked my bonce three different times. The worst one was from a shop's sun awning that extended over the pavement. The support strut was no higher than five foot nine inches above the pavement. Got me right in the middle of my forehead.

Edited by AndyID
  • Friendly/supportive 10