Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Now she's just messing about. 

Having announced she hadn't got that extra off for our trip to the  motherland, she rang this morning and announced that she now has the day off again and we can change back to our original plan. 

I wonder how long it will last this time. 

Andy

I'll buy you a Yo-Yo!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I have painted the 'other' plates for the Peckett, ending in a 5 not a 3.  Hopefully this will keep the Stationmike off my case when fitted! Pah.  I could have sworn the photo was of 1143.  Moral - clean specs before selecting number.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I have carried out the leaf shifting exercise, followed by attempting to repair our sole outdoor illuminated Christmas decoration.

It is a projector that pretends it's snowflakes falling down a suitably situated wall.

It is now an ex projector and has been cast into the recycling bin, having overrun the time allocated.

I now do this on all repair jobs:  If in the time allocated no real progress is made, it is scrapped and I move on.

In the past, I've spent far too much time messing around trying to fix things, when from a manhours wasted point of view, it is cheaper to buy a new one!  So the new policy is a quick evaluation followed by a decision:  Much like BR deciding the fate of a lot of the steam fleet back in the 1960s

All that remains in it's PSU and a short length of cable.  It may come in handy as a source of power for a model railway project.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

All that remains in it's PSU and a short length of cable.  It may come in handy as a source of power for a model railway project.

Better make some room in the shed 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Did you go to Bluecoat school?  I remember visiting the (gorgeous) building as a student in the early 90s when it was hosting a secondhand book sale.  I can't remember any other schools that close to the city centre, but I'm sure you'll be able to correct me.....

No, I went to the Liverpool Institute High School For Boys, generally just known as The Institute. It was on Hope Street not far from the Anglican Cathedral and was closed by the far left council in 1985. Two of the more notable alumni were George Harrison and Paul McCartney of Beatles fame (who were three years ahead of me) and Paul set about rescuing the building after the school closed down, opening it in 1996 as the Liverpool Institute for the Performing Arts.

6814138087_691ba77147_b.jpg.bf12c90fdfd324712415eea12cdd7b72.jpg

This is part of the frontage on Mount Street.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hayup Big H is getting all technical like!

I think the technical part is how to fit in another shed at the Hippodrome.

To the drawing board!

Andy

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

So here I am. Sat sitting posed at the precipitous waiting for the right moment to arrive. Like some bowling ball ready to be cast down the waxed alley of life. So i've finished all of the hard landscaping, well almost and to be honest there isn't much to start off with. Just some cutting up of odds and ends of paving slabs so as to finish making a retaining wall that I started some ten years ago. But it's done so I can tick it off the list in the great fence refurb.

What's left is to install the base for the feature pot  in-front of the trompe l'oeile. Once that's done it's  doing some green stuff. Yippee.

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I think the technical part is how to fit in another shed at the Hippodrome.

To the drawing board!

Andy

This is where having a complete set of intact fingers might come in handy.

If only someone hadn't decided to use the table saw to 'trim' his nails Hey Big H.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

So here I am. Sat sitting posed at the precipitous waiting for the right moment to arrive. Like some bowling ball ready to be cast down the waxed alley of life. So i've finished all of the hard landscaping, well almost and to be honest there isn't much to start off with. Just some cutting up of odds and ends of paving slabs so as to finish making a retaining wall that I started some ten years ago. But it's done so I can tick it off the list in the great fence refurb.

What's left is to install the base for the feature pot  in-front of the trompe l'oeile. Once that's done it's  doing some green stuff. Yippee.

Where does the shed fit in to this scheme?

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Where does the shed fit in to this scheme?

Andy

It's No 48 on the To Do list. Second page right at the bottom just after the installation of giant catapult to fire breeze blocks at incoming asteroid fragments. If you really must know.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's No 48 on the To Do list. Second page right at the bottom just after the installation of giant catapult to fire breeze blocks at incoming asteroid fragments. If you really must know.

Should get done about the same time as I finish painting then. 

Andy

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

No painting on page 1 job numbers 15 to 31. 

Like to swap?

Can't do any lifting

My doctor has forbidden me from lifting 

Andy Sir Topham Hat

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, SM42 said:

Should get done about the same time as I finish painting then. 

Andy

Have you not realised that whilst there's a SWMBO in the equation you'll NEVER be finished painting.....

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

No, I went to the Liverpool Institute High School For Boys, generally just known as The Institute.

Is that the same place that Big H described as "the Borstal that Dave went to"??

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

9 hours ago, SM42 said:

Can't do any lifting

My doctor has forbidden me from lifting 

Andy Sir Topham Hat

Quite understand. Yourll be relieved to learn then that jobs 14, 22,36 to 41 and 49 to 73 don't require any lifting just sitting in a comfy chair with a glass of something- I'll leave that to your disgression, and staring into space aka thinking.

• Like 8