Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It got a lot warmer here.  Monday it was -4, yesterday  it was 11 degrees so I went trainspotting.  A cracking afternoon  with lots of freight traffic, Not a bad afternoon.

Jamie

Around here if you go trainspotting at the lineside, all you see is a succession of 2 and 3 car DMUs.  Freight traffic?  What freight traffic?

• Friendly/supportive 7

18 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

On a completely different track, I was asked if I knew how to create instructional videos:  You've probably seen them on the likes of You tube.

I am well versed with preparing lesson plans and methods of instruction, so  the physical structure is not a problem.  where I will admit to total ignorance is what sort of camera I should be using.  Is there a preferred editing suite and how does one overlay captions speech, music etc.

I'm not sure it's all possible on my smart phone.

At present I have access to a Go Pro Camera and various tripods and clamps, but that's it.

Any suggestions?

The query sparked an interest as I could then make up both shooting training videos and model railway stuff:  Not just film of the railway, but how to clips as well.

I could even film myself shooting trains! 

'Why is there a hole in the side of Horace's Deltic?

The Go Pro or smartphone should be OK to start with  but you will need an external microphone.

Free video editors like Windows Movie Maker and iMovie let you trim your clips and add text and effects. I've had a play with Windows Movie Maker in the past and it pretty easy to get to grips with.

Have a search online for "what kit you need to become a youtuber" or something similar I'm sure you'll get lots of interesting results.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Around here if you go trainspotting at the lineside, all you see is a succession of 2 and 3 car DMUs.  Freight traffic?  What freight traffic?

Our town is the destination of trains like this - same size, cargo and power, but different owner of the hoppers: 

https://youtu.be/Xv4l8EwU904

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I have set up a new router. 

The 14 year old one has been retired. 

I even managed to work out, all on my lonesome, why I had no Internet. ( go on the Internet for a trouble shooting guide it said in the manual. Who writes this stuff? I've got no Internet you Norberts)

Anyhow, once I found my glasses and a good torch I managed to establish an incorrectly installed connection to the outside world. 

So here I am, all connected. ( well my phone at least)

Look at me all tech savvy

Andy

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

OK 

I may have spoken too soon. 

My phone is telling me no Internet connection, but I am obviously on the Internet

I think I'm getting one of my heads 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's been very sparse for the last couple of years but seems to be picking up. 4 freights, 2 Infrastructure trains, 1 set of light engines, 2 TGV's and three units. All in about 3 hours.  We have been down to one freight and one infra some days.

5 hours ago, pH said:

Our town is the destination of trains like this - same size, cargo and power, but different owner of the hoppers: 

https://youtu.be/Xv4l8EwU904

Nice one, brings back memories of the first week of our honeymoon there.  The front units of that teain must have just about got over the summit at Divide creek by the time the tail passed.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, coastalview said:

The Go Pro or smartphone should be OK to start with  but you will need an external microphone.

Free video editors like Windows Movie Maker and iMovie let you trim your clips and add text and effects. I've had a play with Windows Movie Maker in the past and it pretty easy to get to grips with.

Have a search online for "what kit you need to become a youtuber" or something similar I'm sure you'll get lots of interesting results.

As Ian has intimated about camera quality, when I asked such it was definitely pointing me in the direction of Ann Summers's accessory department.

• Funny 13

Rex v. WILLIAMS

Cardiff Crown Court

“If it please Your Honour, I appear for The Crown in this matter

“The circumstances of the case are very simple, as you will see.

“The victim is one  Echelon Delawnay, a 31 year old who uses the pronoun ‘They’

Delawnay is a volunteer at a local shelter for the victims of domestic abuse, and forced marriage.

“Delawnay will say that during the afternoon of Saturday, 4th. February, 2023 ‘they’ were partaking of a vegan meal, namely tofu, quinoa and mixed beans in a well known Home Counties vegan café bar.

They will say they were accompanied by their children, twins Peregrine and Pendragon, together with a schoolfriend, Hermione ; all of whom are 7 years of age.

Delawnay will say that during the afternoon her attention was drawn to the café bar television which was broadcasting the Wales v Ireland international rugby match.

They will say that the sound of the television broadcast was quite loud, in order for the commentator to be heard.

As the BBC camera panned around the stadium Delawnay will say they saw the defendant amongst the 74,000 spectators and could both see and hear that he, together with others were singing a song known as Delilah.

They will say that the lyrics of this tune, made famous by the Welsh artist Tom Jones emphasise and promote domestic violence, especially violence against women.

Delawnay is aware that the singing of the said song is banned by the Welsh Rugby Union, and constitutes an offence contrary to Section 2 of the Offences Against the Woke, Feeble, Humourless and non-gender specific Persons Act of 2022..

They will say that they were harassed, alarmed and distressed by the defendant’s brazen display of misogyny, and Delawnay immediately contacted the police in order to report the matter.

They will say that such was the effect of the defendant’s actions, Delwanay has been unable to return to their job as a domestic violence refuge volunteer, and has had to resort to state benefits in order to sustain them and they’re children.

Inspector Corner, of The Yard will give evidence as to circulating television images of the defendant via the following methods  (i) Crimestoppers (ii) Crimewatch UK (iii) FBI Most Wanted, and (iv) Interpol.

The officer will also give evidence of the defendants flight from justice, to Kazakhstan, where despite living under the assumed name of Vladimir Putin he was  recognized, arrested and deported to the United Kingdom.

Inspector Corner, of The Yard will say that when charged, the defendant Williams was cautioned and replied “But I was lost like a slave that no man could free”

That, in a nutshell is the case for The Crown, Your Honour.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

OK 

I may have spoken too soon. 

My phone is telling me no Internet connection, but I am obviously on the Internet

I think I'm getting one of my heads 

Andy

Put the phone in “airplane” mode. Count to 10 and take it out of airplane mode.

If that had no effect go to the connections menu and turn off Wi-Fi. If you still have internet the phone is clearly connecting using your phones data connection. 3, 4 or 5G. 
With the new router have you perhaps made an error entering the password for the Wi-Fi. Mistaking a 0 or O,  j or J and I and 1 are easy errors. I would try connecting a device with an Ethernet cable to the new router. That will eliminate router to the outside world problems if it works. 
Tony

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

when I asked such it was definitely pointing me in the direction of Ann Summers's accessory department.

I found a selection of Haynes Manual links did much the same.  

Every time there was an instruction to "Grease nipples regularly" in fact.  

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

tim-de-pauw-SBYsc1gsA-M-unsplash.jpg.e2c96cec53d1d04b9075bba27f7814c2.jpg

I now await the satisfaction of getting my RMWeb Gold sticker.

I am assured that the cancelling of my Pocket Mags subscription of BRM and investing in this newer environment will:

Make me a more productive modeller who procrastinates less and  produces much more in the way of model railway output.

Will make all my models get finished to a far higher standard.

This automatically backdates to all models I've ever made, so I can't wait to get out into the workshop and see all my models looking as if they have been freshly outshopped from Pendon.

Help me to meet new people and make lots and lots of friends.

As you can see from the picture, the excitement has just got too much for me and I need a lie down.

I can still see advertie things though so perhaps it's all a cruel dream.

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Rex v. WILLIAMS

Cardiff Crown Court

“If it please Your Honour, I appear for The Crown in this matter

“The circumstances of the case are very simple, as you will see.

“The victim is one  Echelon Delawnay, a 31 year old who uses the pronoun ‘They’

Delawnay is a volunteer at a local shelter for the victims of domestic abuse, and forced marriage.

“Delawnay will say that during the afternoon of Saturday, 4th. February, 2023 ‘they’ were partaking of a vegan meal, namely tofu, quinoa and mixed beans in a well known Home Counties vegan café bar.

They will say they were accompanied by their children, twins Peregrine and Pendragon, together with a schoolfriend, Hermione ; all of whom are 7 years of age.

Delawnay will say that during the afternoon her attention was drawn to the café bar television which was broadcasting the Wales v Ireland international rugby match.

They will say that the sound of the television broadcast was quite loud, in order for the commentator to be heard.

As the BBC camera panned around the stadium Delawnay will say they saw the defendant amongst the 74,000 spectators and could both see and hear that he, together with others were singing a song known as Delilah.

They will say that the lyrics of this tune, made famous by the Welsh artist Tom Jones emphasise and promote domestic violence, especially violence against women.

Delawnay is aware that the singing of the said song is banned by the Welsh Rugby Union, and constitutes an offence contrary to Section 2 of the Offences Against the Woke, Feeble, Humourless and non-gender specific Persons Act of 2022..

They will say that they were harassed, alarmed and distressed by the defendant’s brazen display of misogyny, and Delawnay immediately contacted the police in order to report the matter.

They will say that such was the effect of the defendant’s actions, Delwanay has been unable to return to their job as a domestic violence refuge volunteer, and has had to resort to state benefits in order to sustain them and they’re children.

Inspector Corner, of The Yard will give evidence as to circulating television images of the defendant via the following methods  (i) Crimestoppers (ii) Crimewatch UK (iii) FBI Most Wanted, and (iv) Interpol.

The officer will also give evidence of the defendants flight from justice, to Kazakhstan, where despite living under the assumed name of Vladimir Putin he was  recognized, arrested and deported to the United Kingdom.

Inspector Corner, of The Yard will say that when charged, the defendant Williams was cautioned and replied “But I was lost like a slave that no man could free”

That, in a nutshell is the case for The Crown, Your Honour.

This smacks of a typical SWPS fit up as the CPS already have their case put together before the alleged offence has taken place.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

It has appeared!

Right I'm off, workshop to inspect, models to build, friends to make etc.

I have been using the dining table for a couple of weeks. However Aditi had invited some neighbours round for a meal on Saturday, so everything has been tidied away. It wasn’t messy modelling, just getting DCC set up. There were quite a few wires. It seems to take quite a lot of wire to get something wireless started. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have been using the dining table for a couple of weeks. However Aditi had invited some neighbours round for a meal on Saturday, so everything has been tidied away. It wasn’t messy modelling, just getting DCC set up. There were quite a few wires. It seems to take quite a lot of wire to get something wireless started. 

Sound like you might also have a paperless office!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Andy @SM42 seems to have disappeared now. Hope it wasn’t my advice…

Still here. 

Very odd goings on

No mobile data in use, router up and running, phone connected and accessing Internet but saying no Internet. 

Desktop also connected  albeit now wireless and would need 30 ft etthernet cable now to reach. 

Had to locate router in a different spot due to restraints imposed by supplied cabling and filter. 

Managed to gain a whole 1mbs in download speed. 

A nice man has now just arrived to install the TV decoder 

Hope he doesn't need to replace the cable as a very full lean to shed will be in his way

What larks

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

PANNIER PRIDE!

That’s right: I’m Out And Proud.

I’m a GWR MODELLER and proud and happy to be so.

As a member of the GWR/LMS/LNER/SR/BR+ community, I find all this sneering at Pannier Tanks to be nothing more than GWRPhobism. 

SHAME ON YOU (you know who you are)

In today’s vibrant multi-scale, multi-gauge, multi-TOC and multi-livery forum, there’s no place for such anachronistic and oppressive views.

In the days before this Wokist claptrap it was a simple choice - you were either Midland persuasion or something else. And the only green motive power tolerated in polite circles were Midland pre-1883 or BR(LMR) Ex-LMS express passenger engines. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, SM42 said:

No mobile data in use, router up and running, phone connected and accessing Internet but saying no Internet. 

Hopefully when Mrs SM42 is home and tries her phone you can perhaps identify it as a problem with just your phone. Perhaps,the television chap will sort it out.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

As Ian has intimated about camera quality, when I asked such it was definitely pointing me in the direction of Ann Summers's accessory department.

So what did you buy?

Dave

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

So what did you buy?

Dave

A Midland Compound... In black!

And a device called a Big Bertha.  (Typically of a Midland loco no matter how wide you open the regulator, it just vibrates frantically but doesn't go anywhere.)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15