Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

In those days any US or British films/programmes were dubbed quite badly. 

A friend who was living in France in the '70s told me about seeing a John Wayne western dubbed into French and burst out laughing when the leader of the bad guys stormed into a saloon, thumped his fist on the bar and said, "Une whisky sil vous plait." 

Dave

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

the leader of the bad guys stormed into a saloon, thumped his fist on the bar and said, "Une whisky sil vous plait." 

At which point the bar tender looked down his nose in that uniquely superior Parisian way and said "Un whisky pour monsieur."

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

A friend who was living in France in the '70s told me about seeing a John Wayne western dubbed into French and burst out laughing when the leader of the bad guys stormed into a saloon, thumped his fist on the bar and said, "Une whisky sil vous plait." 

Dave

He wasn't called Crabtree by any chance.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

8 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Is this Mrs SM42's pet name for you?

Nope, and I'm not telling. 

20 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

I quite liked Postman Pat ( Listonosz Pat)  in Polish. 

He enters the Post office 

"Dzien dobry Pani Goggins" 

Phone rings, Pani Goggins answers 

" Poczta Zielone Dale"

Why they translated Greendale I'm not sure but it made me laugh 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, SM42 said:

" Poczta Zielone Dale"

Why they translated Greendale I'm not sure but it made me laugh 

And why not go the whole way: Zielona Dolina?

There was no trouble translating German place-names, with Gruenberg becoming Zielona Gora.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

That's why I was intending to use a USB port to connect via the broadband hub, which I suppose would get around the need for apps to be updated all the time; or is there something I've missed? 

Dave

If your television is near your broadband router, connect the tv to the router with an Ethernet cable. Alternatively connect the tv using Wi-Fi to the router.  The TV needs an internet connection for the streaming services, Don’t worry about updating apps it should just happen automatically.

I can’t think what connecting the usb socket on my router to the one on the tv would do. The usb connector in the router can be used for adding shareable storage but I don’t know what else. The usb connectors on my tv have a couple of usb memory sticks for saving programmes on if I needed to.  Never have though. The tv can display photos stored on usb drives too but my cameras have hdmi outputs so I use that if I want to share something from the camera. However I am more likely to mirror my iPad where photos are stored too the tv.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

If your television is near your broadband router, connect the tv to the router with an Ethernet cable. Alternatively connect the tv using Wi-Fi to the router.  The TV needs an internet connection for the streaming services, Don’t worry about updating apps it should just happen automatically.

I can’t think what connecting the usb socket on my router to the one on the tv would do. The usb connector in the router can be used for adding shareable storage but I don’t know what else. The usb connectors on my tv have a couple of usb memory sticks for saving programmes on if I needed to.  Never have though. The tv can display photos stored on usb drives too but my cameras have hdmi outputs so I use that if I want to share something from the camera. However I am more likely to mirror my iPad where photos are stored too the tv.

Not sure how different things are between the US and the UK but I suspect not very much.

We use streaming devices called ROKUs that connect to our router over Wi-Fi and stream video from the Internet into the HDMI video/audio inputs of the TVs. We use streaming service from Amazon, Netflix, PBS, Britbox, Acorn etc. They do charge a monthly fee but there is an enormous inventory of things to stream when it suits us to watch them.

Be slightly careful about TVs with built-in streaming. We had to get an external "streamer" for an older TV that had stopped working on one streaming channel - I think it was Britbox. IMHO it's safer to assume that you might have to upgrade the streaming device during the long life of the TV monitor itself. We have also had to replace some streaming devices as they were beginning to show their age. They are not expensive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

We use streaming devices called ROKUs that connect to our router over Wi-Fi and stream video from the Internet into the HDMI video/audio inputs of the TVs. We use streaming service from Amazon, Netflix, PBS, Britbox, Acorn etc. They do charge a monthly fee but there is an enormous inventory of things to stream when it suits us to watch them.

A quick Google suggests these are very similar to Amazon Firesticks - is that the case?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

A quick Google suggests these are very similar to Amazon Firesticks - is that the case?

Yup. Very similar. I'm sure there are others. ROKU was one of the first and we've stuck with them mainly for a consistent user interface on the TVs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

That's why I was intending to use a USB port to connect via the broadband hub, which I suppose would get around the need for apps to be updated all the time; or is there something I've missed? 

Dave

I would use either an ethernet cable or wireless connection from the TV to the router and the apps built into the TV to start with.

If in the future the apps stop working you can then connect something like a chromecast device from Google.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Ah but that was Michelle's catch phrase..........

Indeed, and here she is demonstrating the box of detonators strapped to her thigh....

Note René's eyes are firmly focussed. This was a rehearsal, and for the actual performances I was not wearing trews and shoes.....

1944064628_TOADSAlloAllo140.jpeg.5fd19a354d53fdf964d4eb334b67d7b0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

We are due to set off for Portsmouth, en route France, in the next couple of hours. It is snowing here in Torquay - quite rare. 

Bon voyage.

Jamie with no snow.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

And why not go the whole way: Zielona Dolina?

There was no trouble translating German place-names, with Gruenberg becoming Zielona Gora.

It was better than it looks on paper

Dale wax pronounced in the Polish style as Dal eh. 

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 16/01/2023 at 23:54, SM42 said:

I miss the days when you just plugged the coax in the back and maybe the video / DVD with the scart cable.

Andy

Judging by the amount of information I am getting, so do I!

Dave 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, polybear said:

Pardon my ignorance but does an Amazon Firestick connect to other streaming services apart from Amazon?

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Pardon my ignorance but does an Amazon Firestick connect to other streaming services apart from Amazon?

Dave

Yes, and if your existing tv has HDMI sockets you might not need a new one. The fire stick still needs to connect to your router, usually with Wi-Fi. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Yes, such BBC iplayer; you'll need an Amazon Prime account (but that's handy for free Amazon delivery as well).  Some of the available streaming services will also charge separately.

I find Amazon Prime very useful - there's no end of free movies, series etc.  All you need is a router and a TV with HDMI port; they start at thirty quid upwards

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1