Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

If the Slaters axles are 20.2mm b-b that would seem to indicate a gauge of about 22mm, which would suggest 7mm/ft for metre gauge. So, the question now is do we have a scale of 7mm/ft or 1/50 or Andy’s 6mm/ft? Only one thing for it, we will have to establish the SM (scale metre for those whose minds drift to other things) Society and show those damned Frenchies that we mean business!

22 mm gauge at 1/50 scale is pretty well bang on for 3' 6" gauge.

18.2 mm gauge at 1/50 scale is very close to 3' 0" gauge.

32 mm gauge at 1/50 scale is a whisker under Iberian gauge; 33 mm gauge is spot on.

The possibilities are multiplying...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The late Richard Chown built his metre gauge Norwegian railway to 43.5 scale and used S7 track standards on his hand built track.  I built a Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T for him and used Slaters IOM wheels. However I cannot recall just what gauge we used but I do remember extending the 21mm gauge axles!

After his passing the layout and stock went to the railway museum in Hamer in Norway.

Ian.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

What would Henry Greenly made of all this? Probably established a standard of 1:46 scale running on 17.5mm track gauge with .045” flangeways.

Dave

It is often said the Greenly went to 4mm to the foot to allow the fitting of large continental motors into British outline bodies.  I am now havibg the opposite problem.  I have to fit forepaws used to O gauge kits into a kit considerably smaller.  

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It is often said the Greenly went to 4mm to the foot to allow the fitting of large continental motors into British outline bodies.  I am now havibg the opposite problem.  I have to fit forepaws used to O gauge kits into a kit considerably smaller.  

Jamie

Be grateful it's your forepaws, getting into close proximity of sharp brass etch ends and a hot soldering iron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I thought it was in  Wakefield.

Jamie

I did wonder about that, but thought Lampgate might logically be near Wallgate. 

Andy

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

If the Slaters axles are 20.2mm b-b that would seem to indicate a gauge of about 22mm, which would suggest 7mm/ft for metre gauge. So, the question now is do we have a scale of 7mm/ft or 1/50 or Andy’s 6mm/ft? Only one thing for it, we will have to establish the SM (scale metre for those whose minds drift to other things) Society and show those damned Frenchies that we mean business!

Alternatively we could just wait for Jamie to measure a few things.

Dave

But can Jamie be trusted to only use approved measuring devices. Have his measuring equipment  been inspected and certified as being correct and if so where's his certification certificate. Mores to the point has Jamie been certified in there use. All these questions need to answered before any measurements are taken.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

22 mm gauge at 1/50 scale is pretty well bang on for 3' 6" gauge.

18.2 mm gauge at 1/50 scale is very close to 3' 0" gauge.

32 mm gauge at 1/50 scale is a whisker under Iberian gauge; 33 mm gauge is spot on.

The possibilities are multiplying...

Bear feels a sudden urge to join the Triang Collectors Club......

7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

But can Jamie be trusted to only use approved measuring devices. Have his measuring equipment  been inspected and certified as being correct and if so where's his certification certificate. Mores to the point has Jamie been certified in there use. All these questions need to answered before any measurements are taken.

External Standards Bods once visited the old House of Fun - one of them snatched a 6" steel rule out of Bear's Bosses' Jacket Pocket and then proceeded to demand to know where the Calibration Sticker was.

Boss snatched it back, then pointed out that (a) since such a calibration would only be valid at 20 degrees C (as marked by the manufacturer on the rule), and (b) the Hangar wasn't air conditioned it'd be invalid anyway.  Game, Set, Match to Boss.

He did however get a b0llocking from his Boss later, for making the Standards Guy look a tw@t.  By all accounts he proceeded to rip everyone else to shreds for non-compliances.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear feels a sudden urge to join the Triang Collectors Club......

External Standards Bods once visited the old House of Fun - one of them snatched a 6" steel rule out of Bear's Bosses' Jacket Pocket and then proceeded to demand to know where the Calibration Sticker was.

Boss snatched it back, then pointed out that (a) since such a calibration would only be valid at 20 degrees C (as marked by the manufacturer on the rule), and (b) the Hangar wasn't air conditioned it'd be invalid anyway.  Game, Set, Match to Boss.

He did however get a b0llocking from his Boss later, for making the Standards Guy look a tw@t.  By all accounts he proceeded to rip everyone else to shreds for non-compliances.

Do you ever think that sometimes people enjoy there job too much.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Well I  make it 19.812 mm gauge.

I have been on nights though, so maths is not my strong point in this state of semi awakeness.

Meanwhile, another 2 vanwides join the completion queue. 

At this rate I'll need to buy more kits so I'll have something to start but not finish in retirement

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I just need to find a vernier caliper calibrated in tads and gnats nadgers follicles. I suspect that any certificate of competence would refer to being producing work to the TLAR standard.

Jamie whose just spent 90 minutes soldering little bits of brass together without burning his forepaws or even getting them too clise to a table saw.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3

9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Your formula is somewhat at fault because the Damned Frenchies use 1:43.5 for their 0 gauge stuff as opposed to the more normal 1:45 which is the Continental European norm.  You have been drawn into the Gravettesque world of 1:50 by my sneakily linking TNM to an article on Pempoul.

It's ironic that France was sucked into the mm/foot nonsense 😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I just need to find a vernier caliper calibrated in tads and gnats nadgers follicles. I suspect that anycertificate of competence would refer to being producing work to the TLAR standard.

Jamie whose just spent 90 minutes soldering little bits of brass together without butning his forepaws or even getting them too clise to a table saw.

No but we know someone who did get them too close don't we.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Your formula is somewhat at fault because the Damned Frenchies use 1:43.5 for their 0 gauge stuff as opposed to the more normal 1:45 which is the Continental European norm.  You have been drawn into the Gravettesque world of 1:50 by my sneakily linking TNM to an article on Pempoul.

And over here the norm is 1/48. sconfused_100-114.gif Don't get me started on 00 running on HO track.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

And just to add to the confusion BA screws are actually metric 😄

Ironically they are probably three times more expensive than their continental metric cousins.

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Agree; but he is not on RMweb.

Well, actually it's the finger tip that isn't any more....

Or so Stumpy tells me😄

• Funny 7

9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Well, actually it's the finger tip that isn't any more....

Or so Stumpy tells me😄

And so we hear the following from the back of the auditorium - Go on Stumpy show us your finger.

One does cringe when one hears such things but life is what it is.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I was at the Warley show with a mate and we were looking at some models on the 2mm FS stand. He'd just made the comment that it would probably be beyond his present eyesight capabilities to adopt that scale these days whereupon I said that I quite agreed but, "Just look at the details on that locomotive." He paused then said, "Locomotive, what locomotive?"

Dave

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I just need to find a vernier caliper calibrated in tads and gnats nadgers follicles. I suspect that anycertificate of competence would refer to being producing work to the TLAR standard.

You should be able to get one from the people that make the triple standard verniers calibrated in fine, coarse and government.

Dave

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

You should be able to get one from the people that make the triple standard verniers calibrated in fine, coarse and government.

Dave

If memory serves me right i do believe they are on the restricted list and can't be exported without a special licence from the MoD.

Something to do with them being used for WMD's that's Weapons of Modelling Destruction.

I don't suppose you know anyone who might be able to pull a few strings do you.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Very frustrating today. Family all gone back home, no domestic tasks outstanding so obviously a chance to slope off down to the shed and get some modelling done. Sadly we've both got the lurgy and feel completely cr&p so actually spent most of the day either in bed or slumped in front of the TV. What a great way to finish the year.

Dave 

Snap.

• Friendly/supportive 13