Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PMP said:

^^ That is the south end. It was a simple layout out the front, and pretty complex behind the hill, which hid the ‘folded 8’. It very quickly sorted out the good from the bad and indifferent as far as RTR mechanisms went too. Easily one of my favourite layouts I’ve been a small part of.

Yes Ive corrected the typo in INGOT moulds.  The other suggestion I made to Peter was a pair of Clayton  bo_bo's on delivery.  They always went north in pairs in case one broke down.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

participants will be able to change lamps (and headlamp codes) on their locomotives, no matter the scale, through the power of thought alone!

By the well-established (nay traditional) approach of running K.Bay.Sts.B.  RTR rolling stock where this has been included in the suppliers' specifications for 30-40 years?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Aditi is out in the garden digging stuff up, burying other stuff and doing something that requires intelligence to a clematis. I used to do some supervised pruning of the taller plants but Aditi has long handled telescopic loppers now. 
I haven’t really done anything. I did wander out to the garage to take a photo of the electricity export reading on our smart meter. It won’t be much, anything we have generated during winter had been used by us. I did also unwrap  a couple of packages , one containing another Hunslet (I wonder if this is becoming an obsession) and one containing a couple of tiny 3D printed smokebox doors so I can convert a Rheneas model to a Dolgoch. 
Tony

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My day seems to have been raking up leaves and pruning the last remaining apple tree.

Nyda is out shopping, the grandchildren are watching the television having been out playing in the garden earlier on.  they even ventured into the muddy hollow, although stepping into the deeper stuff did involve a flooded wellington boot.  I don't think the squeals that emanated from the hollow were that of joy🤣.

I also went and looked for a lamp to change:

1963369001_taillamp2.jpg.cb2a309eb6f044575d828f7340401d3c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I's not so much the track gauge that you need to worry about, it's ensuring the various clearances in the crossing nose, wing rails and check rails that are the problem.  'Back to back' is the usual cry, but in fact it is the distance between the inside face of the running rail and the inside face of the check rail that is the critical factor.

Absolutely spot on HH. I would suggest that if the scale Jamie is working to is 1:50 then the standards for either OF or S7 would be a good starting point being designed for 1:43.5. The dimensions of 0 Gauge rail and chairs would probably be close enough for all intents and purposes and all that would really be really required would be narrowing the overall gauge to the required amount but retaining the dimensions of the crossings, check rails and wing rails and, importantly, retaining the wheel profile. I would also imagine that in that case there could well be Slaters wheels for OF or S7 that would suit ?  

Just a thought

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Absolutely spot on HH. I would suggest that if the scale Jamie is working to is 1:50 then the standards for either OF or S7 would be a good starting point being designed for 1:43.5. The dimensions of 0 Gauge rail and chairs would probably be close enough for all intents and purposes and all that would really be really required would be narrowing the overall gauge to the required amount but retaining the dimensions of the crossings, check rails and wing rails and, importantly, retaining the wheel profile. I would also imagine that in that case there could well be Slaters wheels for OF or S7 that would suit ?  

Just a thought

Dave

Thanks Dave,  I've done some measuring  and the wheels supplied with the kit are 22mm gauge and 19.8mm btob.  I be

I think that the loco kit uses Slaters wheels and think that there are some special axles available for them.  Life's a wonder learning curve.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Makes sense I don't suppose Peco are ever going to produce rtr track, and if the 'standard is already there I can't see a Proto 0m suddenly rearing it's ugly head....Unless DH gets involved😂.

Ah, my previous post will reveal that in my dotage I have embraced the 'close enough for a government job' approach 😋.

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A distant acquaintance wants to know if they have lamps, and if so, do they get changed?

Additionally, is there a difference in luminosity between the electric lamp at the base of the  chimney and the oil lamp on the platform? Have to get theses things right you know, as your acquaintance will tell you 🤪.

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

More thoughts on the French metre gauge topic.

Given that it would appear that Slaters wheels running on track laid to O Gauge standards and dimensions of critical items, be they OF or S7, can be used and the track plan will be very simple, I would think that the easiest approach would be:

Plain track - Peco split down the middle and narrowed to 22mm with judicious use of ballast to hide the join.

Turnouts - plywood timbers with C&L chairs and Peco rail.

For track gauge, a vernier caliper locked to 22mm would suffice for most purposes with a piece of steel or even brass  machined to the width of the check rail gap for setting up the turnouts. TBH that was the system I used for my S7 shed layout with the vernier locked to 33mm and I even managed to get three throw turnouts to work. 

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

For those lusting after Pempoul and a feeling for French Metre gauge modelling:

The first time I saw Pempoul at a show (Stafford IIRC) I was captivated by it. It has to be one of the finest model railway layouts I have ever seen and I've spent many an hour looking at it and chatting to the Gravetts about it. Something it achieves that few layouts can match, IMHO, is that the standard of modelling is exquisite in all areas and it really looks convincing as well as having a charm about it. It almost caused me to venture into French metre gauge modelling but eventually my head ruled my heart and I stuck with S7 Midland. Once I've finished my layout though.....

....and live to be 105 of course.

Dave  

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

You weren’t led astray by low power options then?

I say 40W. 

It was the LED equivalent. 

40 - 100W options are available but not with the small screw fitting. 

Can't use any old lamp. Has to be the correct one.

Andy

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Can't use any old lamp. Has to be the correct one.

I know. Finding the appropriate lumens, in a certain fitting, shape and dimmable can be quite interesting. I did replace the dimmer switches with led friendly versions. The dimmers are programmable but I hate things like click 29 times then wiggle the knob clockwise. They worked without any need for that.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I know. Finding the appropriate lumens, in a certain fitting, shape and dimmable can be quite interesting. I did replace the dimmer switches with led friendly versions. The dimmers are programmable but I hate things like click 29 times then wiggle the knob clockwise. They worked without any need for that.  

I just got rid of the dimmer switches.

It was easier than trying to find a new light fitting that met with Mrs SM42's  approval that was also dimmable.

At least my lamps are correct for the time period,  fitting and are in context with the rest of the layout house.

Andy

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, SM42 said:

It was easier than trying to find a new light fitting that met with Mrs SM42's  approval that was also dimmable.

At least my lamps are correct for the time period,  fitting and are in context with the rest of the layout house.

These are dimmable, and suit the time period and grandeur of Hunt Towers:

image.png.5f8cd5effac2f9207aa480ed37dc5c68.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Going back the idea of 1/50th scale metre gauge. Although I have never seen Pempoul in the flesh internet video and descriptions played a part in tempting me to have a go. 

I had a play with some ideas last summer. The locomotive, though freelance, has some French influence in its overall appearance. 

My conclusion so far is that  a 00 or EM tyre (and possibly wheel centre)  running on code 83 flat bottom set at the correct 20 mm gauge looks about right. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our bungalow, much like Hunt Towers, is modest, but detailed in execution.  The layout room prior to the O Gauge being started.

P1040637.JPG.711a97aeef2320d692e8e0e4f6cea29d.JPG

I think they said much the same about Versailles - just a modest little place in the country.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our bungalow, much like Hunt Towers, is modest, but detailed in execution.  The layout room prior to the O Gauge being started.

P1040637.JPG.711a97aeef2320d692e8e0e4f6cea29d.JPG

I thought that was the garage, Neil, with the mechanics standing by to receive the bikes for cleaning after you and Mrs. NHN returned from a jaunt to the deep south.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I thought that was the garage, Neil, with the mechanics standing by to receive the bikes for cleaning after you and Mrs. NHN returned from a jaunt to the deep south.

Dave

Actually, that IS Mrs NHN on the far right!

OK< actually in Musee D'Orsay, its the old Ballroom of the Paris-Orleans IIRC.  silver wedding anniversary trip. Err, a few years ago now.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Actually, that IS Mrs NHN on the far right!

OK< actually in Musee D'Orsay, its the old Ballroom of the Paris-Orleans IIRC.  silver wedding anniversary trip. Err, a few years ago now.

So for the Golden wedding anniversary you taking the missis to Trump Towers then?

Other gaudy, ostentatious places are available but that was the first one that came to mind.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1