Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Despite the contents of the shelves of shame I have started a new kit today and a new layout thread.  This will be a French metre gauge semi diorama based on our village station.   I have made a start on the wagon kit that appeared under the Christmas tree.   Here is the evidence.

PC282802.JPG.c1dddde453d6c3d66d3dbaf639da5b04.JPG

The men in white coats are expected shortly.

Jamie

Looks like it will be a good test of your written French.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

No I was thinking at the left hand end of thecbranch platform where what looksclike a loop joins the branch line. That would be the headshunt to allow you to shunt the two soidings at theclower right.  You would need ground signals for the other two exits from that line onto the running lines.  They only fully signalled passenger lines and anything allowing moves onto them.  Hope this makes sense.

Jamie

Got it! I'll make it a turnout and add some track. Thanks.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Hello everyone. My name is Dave Hunt and although I have had plenty of stollen, mince pies and cake during the holiday period, I have also acquired the lurgy (non-Wuflu thankfully) from one or other of my grandchildren. Hence, even though I will be released from Yuletime jollification duties sometime soon, the chances of me feeling up to workshop activities in the next couple of days would seem to be small.

Yours snifflely 

Dave 

I decided to acquire the same sort of lurgy this morning, just prior to my offspring and her offspring arriving this afternoon.

By a miracle, she has brought some left over chocolate log, which is going  to be a lot better than Ibuprofen.

Although the mulled wine is helping as well.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

On 27/12/2022 at 02:55, New Haven Neil said:

Aye....

20211104_143706.jpg.e456a6e318ca233463565a65acd55ff4.jpg

The real test will be seeing if I can reverse twenty plus sixteen tonners over two single slips and a double skip without a major catasrascope 😀

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Signal box.

This one is a 12 x 12 and is currently drawn with full planking.

I'm minded to make the lower section out of Palite sheet and a coating of carved DAS clay to create a dressed stone base:  It might make the box look a little less stark.

Box 3.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm minded to make the lower section out of Palite sheet and a coating of carved DAS clay to create a dressed stone base:  It might make the box look a little less stark.

Box 3.JPG

Not being an acolyte of the BR (Wetter Region) I'm not sure about colour schemes but if the correct one would be two colour as depicted by the black and white constituents above, I would think that keeping the base planked would make the box look far from stark and would be better than a stone base.

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Looks very "U. S." to me! 🙀

The drawing based on Church Road which was a mirror image of this box which used to live between Newport and Machen on the Brecon and Merthyr Railway.

image.png.19b8d3bd24e4610d3b775c48c4144a0d.png

I believe this picture was taken after the line closed and the signal box had been moved into the care of Caerphilly Railway Society.  It later moved to Henllan on the Teifi Valley Railway and now serves as a small museum.

The rear of the tender in view is that of ex GWR Mogul No5322, which is now at Didcot as part of the GWS collection

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

The real test will be seeing if I can reverse twenty plus sixteen tonners over two single slips and a double skip without a major catasrascope 😀

Easy - just couple another loco on the back and pull them 😋

Dave

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Not being an acolyte of the BR (Wetter Region) I'm not sure about colour schemes but if the correct one would be two colour as depicted by the black and white constituents above, I would think that keeping the base planked would make the box look far from stark and would be better than a stone base.

Dave 

The black sections on the drawings are actually a guide for me to show where the differing relief in the planks are.  The window sills, end caps, locking room window frame and the panels on the door are just highlights to make certain bits stand out.

The paint scheme would be raised frame work and window sills in chocolate; planking in cream and window frames in white.  you can see it in the picture I posted earlier.

Certainly it's easier to build as an all wooden signal box as I can just cut out a carcass and then clad it with various bits of plastic strip. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

The paint scheme would be raised frame work and window sills in chocolate; planking in cream and window frames in white.  you can see it in the picture I posted earlier.

Certainly it's easier to build as an all wooden signal box as I can just cut out a carcass and then clad it with various bits of plastic strip. 

That would get my vote.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Here's an opportunity to acquire a roomy bijou residence adjacent to the railway in one of the most desirable spots in the UK. And cheap too!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125484971#/?channel=RES_BUY

3 Bleamoor Cottages. (What happened to the other two?)

Knowing the terrain and the winter weather well, I'd suggest Bleak House would be a far more apt moniker for such a property.

I'll bet the trek to the downstairs facilities across the 'garden' at 2.00 am on a blustery night in late Jan/early Feb would be seen as the ultimate TNM man/womanhood test.

I suspect your nearest  friendly neighbour would be New Bryford

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The black sections on the drawings are actually a guide for me to show where the differing relief in the planks are.  The window sills, end caps, locking room window frame and the panels on the door are just highlights to make certain bits stand out.

For larger buildings, I use 5mm foamboard for the carcass - stuck together with a hot-glue gun, then clad with suitable material.

Most of the buildings on DL are built like this with laminated sheets of styrene for the outer layers.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Here's an opportunity to acquire a roomy bijou residence adjacent to the railway in one of the most desirable spots in the UK. And cheap too!

Any alterations would be subject to being located with the Yorkshire Dales National Park and all the red-tape that ensues.

It's one of those places where you wouldn't complain about the trains passing by, but the 100s of walkers every weekend.

No need for me to move there though as many of the specials that pass Blea Moor go by my back door already!

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Just found this quote on RMweb.

"perfection sometimes has it's downsides!"

10  1 guesses as to who. 😄

You do realize he's doing it just to wind you up and spoil your Crimbo? 😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Looks like it will be a good test of your written French.

It is certainly addi g to my vocabulary though I don't normally use most of the new words in general coversation. Todays best was ' coupelles' which turned out to be pin point bearings.

37 minutes ago, AndyID said:

My father taught a young lady chemistry who had grown up in that cottage. Her father was the section ganger. Every Tuesday her mum would get a ride in the gaurds van of a goods train to Ribblehead then catch the train to Settle to go to the weekly market.  Then back the same way with a weeks shopping. Lovely family I knew the father.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

3 Bleamoor Cottages. (What happened to the other two?)

Knowing the terrain and the winter weather well, I'd suggest Bleak House would be a far more apt moniker for such a property.

I'll bet the trek to the downstairs facilities across the 'garden' at 2.00 am on a blustery night in late Jan/early Feb would be seen as the ultimate TNM man/womanhood test.

I suspect your nearest  friendly neighbour would be New Bryford

Despite the fact that I love the Dales, am a fan of the midland Railway and the S&C is my favourite piece of that railway, to spend a quarter of a mil on what is euphemistically described as an 'exciting renovation project' without any mains supplies, is probably almost inaccessible for some of the time in winter except by rail, and by the look of it isn't much bigger than HH's signal box..........

No way Jose

Dave

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2