Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Send help I'm currently pinned to the sofa as DD has decided that lying across me is the most comfyist place to be. I might be some time as negotiations are stalled.

Take a dog biscuit and wave it just out of snapping distance to attract DD's attention:  Then toss into far corner of room.

If that doesn't work then at least you won't starve to death.

Obviously, the brightest sausages will have already realised, that the pre-positioning of tactical rations in order to be able to cause a  distraction, is a sound move.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Take a dog biscuit and wave it just out of snapping distance to attract DD's attention:  Then toss into far corner of room.

Maybe something to the contrary has been explained earlier, in which case I apologise for missing it, but DD is universally understood as internet-speak for "darling daughter", which leads to the suspicion that the proposed technique will not give satisfaction to either party. I have no direct experience of daughter-management myself but observation leads me to believe that offering one a dog biscuit will result in it snapping.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Maybe something to the contrary has been explained earlier, in which case I apologise for missing it, but DD is universally understood as internet-speak for "darling daughter", which leads to the suspicion that the proposed technique will not give satisfaction to either party. I have no direct experience of daughter-management myself but observation leads me to believe that offering one a dog biscuit will result in it snapping.

I was aware of this, but I was under the impression that in No Sheds circumstances, it means Devil Dog.

If it does have the same meaning as you describe, then I offer my heartfelt apologies to the soon to be offended party for the misunderstanding, and will re edit my earlier comment to read Turkish Delight

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:
40 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I was aware of this, but I was under the impression that in No Sheds circumstances, it means Devil Dog.

I am sure it does and there is even a photo somewhere showing that DD is a very nice looking little Schnauzer. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ah, proper TV matched only by the Magic Roundabout.

Dave

4 hours ago, polybear said:

And Chigley, Trumpton, Camberwick Green, Fraggle Rock, The Original Thunderbirds......

Not only that, but in the live action television series, the desirability and appeal of the actresses was considerably higher back then than that of the actresses on screen today. Doctor Who alone had Peri (Nicola Bryant), Victoria (Deborah Watling), Zoe (Wendy Padbury), Romana 1 (Mary Tamm), even the rough diamond that was Ace (Sophie Aldred) was very appealing indeed.

Not to mention other actresses from other series (such as Mrs Peel and Purdey from The Avengers/New Avengers, played respectively by Diana Rigg and Joanna Lumley - both of whom went on to be incredibly respected actresses).

And who do we have today of similar talent and appeal?

Sorry, can’t think of anyone!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

…but DD is universally understood as internet-speak for "darling daughter"…

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Can’t we compromise?

Devil Daughter“ and “Darling Dog“ should cover all eventualities, don’t you think?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I am sure it does and there is even a photo somewhere showing that DD is a very nice looking little Schnauzer. 

DD is somewhat annoyed firstly by Big H's suggestion that she would rise from her position of comfort to retrieve one biscuit. She has asked me to point out that a) that she has staff for that and the fact said staff were incapacitated at the time should in no way have stopped them from providing that service; b) that as a female miniature Schnauzer she does not like to be told what to do and finally c) one should not rely upon her cuteness as it is a variable that can and will be adjusted according to her mood and situation.

So having sorted that out you will pleased to learn that by sly cunning and appeals to DD's 'better' - other words are available for use, nature i have managed to extracate myself from her 'embrace'.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

My mother had two miniature Schnauzers, not at the same time though they did meet. She had one (called Jason) and a few years later her brother got one (called Scott). After Jason died my Mum was so upset she didn’t want another dog. But then her younger brother was in a hospice and begged my Mum to take Scott. So she did. Actually at first she said she would go and see Scott in the boarding kennels. She was so horrified at his condition she removed him straightaway and took him home and looked after him for the rest of his life.  The two dogs looked identical but behaved quite differently. Jason was basically one of the most stupid dogs I have ever known. Scott was probably a normal dog but seemed like a genius compared to Jason. My Mum loved them both and they gave her  many years of companionship. 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

DD or to give her proper name  Ziggy Lou - don't ask as it's a quite a long tale, is my second schnauzer and to say that the two are the exact opposite of one another is a bit of an understatement. The first one i had, Ziggy -see above, was got as a therapy dog to help with my depression. My mother having sat next to well known psychiatrist at an inner wheel function asked his recommendations and he suggested getting a dog. It helped greatly ensuring i got out and met people. She lived until she was eleven and her death was very traumatic. One of mums last acts was to get me a replacement. Ziggy Lou is far more forceful and more energetic but i wouldn't be without her for all the panniers in the GWR.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Despite the contents of the shelves of shame I have started a new kit today and a new layout thread.  This will be a French metre gauge semi diorama based on our village station.   I have made a start on the wagon kit that appeared under the Christmas tree.   Here is the evidence.

PC282802.JPG.c1dddde453d6c3d66d3dbaf639da5b04.JPG

The men in white coats are expected shortly.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

20 hours ago, newbryford said:

But what we really want to know is do you give a flying **** about correct operation or the finer details?

Not my words........

😁

As best as I can muster, from memory and knowledge.

Anything I lack, I can learn from......The J*hnster.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Despite the contents of the shelves of shame I have started a new kit today and a new layout thread.  This will be a French metre gauge semi diorama based on our village station.   I have made a start on the wagon kit that appeared under the Christmas tree.   Here is the evidence.

PC282802.JPG.c1dddde453d6c3d66d3dbaf639da5b04.JPG

The men in white coats are expected shortly.

Jamie

Glad to see that you've managed to find something to occupy yourself with Jamie. Your other little layout must be well finished by now I suppose. Or is it that the content of your cupboard of shame is getting low?

Dave 

• Funny 8