Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having taken a digital protractor to various signal box roof profiles and I find that each manufacturer decided on a different angle!

They also use different width planks.... And don't start me off on the windows!

Well then if that's the case it won't matter what angle the roof pitch is or the window frames as you'll be able to simply say that its simply reproducing what's there.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

He's been stirring it up on another thread as well.  The one about the propsed GWR 1930's electrification.

As The Hippo knows, the RMwebber, of whose name we do not speak, but to whom we refer by only his code name,  'sh!stirrer" is a former clubmate of yours truly.

With 'he who shall nt be named' as my subject matter - I could be busier on lecture tours and after dinner speeches than Tony Blair.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I gave up wildly complicated (imo) plans quite some time ago, purely working on the principle that less is less to go wrong

And that is why, with the BR (WR) Efflew Valley Branch, yours truly has

(i) returned to DC (analogue)

(ii) used wire in tube to operate my turnouts, and

(iii) employed "C.2" working as well.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

And that is why, with the BR (WR) Efflew Valley Branch, yours truly has

(i) returned to DC (analogue)

(ii) used wire in tube to operate my turnouts, and

(iii) employed "C.2" working as well.

But what we really want to know is do you give a flying **** about correct operation or the finer details?

Not my words........

😁

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, newbryford said:

But what we really want to know is do you give a flying **** about correct operation or the finer details?

Not my words........

😁

But can we make the coal gradually disappear  from the tende  of the steam engines as they go round.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

A busy day today in "Chrimbo Limbo"

Golf was played.

Chuckin' it darn at 8.30am, but stopped by 9 and on the tee for 9.30.

There was a bit of wind-chill, but great to be outdoors and the rain re-started as we finished the last hole - good timing there.

It was the annual 3-club competition - up to 14 can normally be carried [*].

One of which must be a putter if the normal greens are in use, so effectively 2 plus 1.

I managed 4th place and the entry fee is bring-a-prize - so everyone "wins".

And the usual prize table consists of spare alcohol....... it has been passed onto Junior NB for a party she has gone to tonight.

[*] the 3-club comp often turns in better scores than when we're allowed to use up to 14 - which makes one wonder why we carry a full bag!

A bit of retail therapy for Mrs NB, fish and chips at the Bispham kitchen and a drive down Blackpool Prom whilst the illuminations are still  - er - illuminated.

Finishing off with more shed time - getting more stuff ready for Glasgow in a few weeks.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
Just now, jamie92208 said:

But can we make the coal gradually disappear  from the tende  of the steam engines as they go round.

Jamie

No, but we can make pffft-kher-chuff noises like Ivor The Engine...................

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

No, but we can make pffft-kher-chuff noises like Ivor The Engine...................

Don't forget the clanging of the bell as well. Chuff chuffs wouldn't be chuff chuffs without a bit of clanging.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Some years ago when I was chairman of the S7 Group one of the members, who was a real PITA, contacted me to say that in his opinion the use of Dingham and similar auto couplings should be 'banned' (!??) from use by S7 modellers as they were non-scale. After several unsuccessful attempts to make him see sense he insisted that the subject be raised at the Group AGM where, unsurprisingly, the vote went against him. Undeterred he still tried to insist that I should unilaterally have the use of Dinghams banned so in the end I told him that I would do so if he could convince me that all his models were true scale in all respects such as the correct position of reach rods and reversing links for the direction of travel, connection of heat and vacuum pipes, brakes engaging wheels when trains slowed down and some other details. I never heard from him again and the following year end he failed to renew his membership, much to the relief of the committee.  

He would have got on well with a certain RMWebber I feel.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having taken a digital protractor to various signal box roof profiles and I find that each manufacturer decided on a different angle!

They also use different width planks.... And don't start me off on the windows!

Similar in many respects to sheds. 😁

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Looks fine.  Just one thing.  The goods yard on the right.  That would be mostly unsignalled.  If that's the case then you should probably have a trap point of some kind at the left hand end of the headshunt  where it joins the platform road.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

Is that at the lower left end of the double-slip?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Thanks Jamie.

Is that at the lower left end of the double-slip?

No I was thinking at the left hand end of thecbranch platform where what looksclike a loop joins the branch line. That would be the headshunt to allow you to shunt the two soidings at theclower right.  You would need ground signals for the other two exits from that line onto the running lines.  They only fully signalled passenger lines and anything allowing moves onto them.  Hope this makes sense.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1