Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Tony_S said:

There was a connection. According to some of the story versions  Minerva punished Medusa by creating the snakes on her head. 

Ah! But Medusa then got her revenge by tinkering with the colour of Minerva's Teddy Bear. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It llooks to me as if you could do a mirror image of Clapham in what is now North Yorks,  that had a few goods facilities on the main line and exchange sidings in the V todeal with mineral traffic, coal and stone, that came off the branch.  I'll try and dig out a plan.  What era is it set in.  The other facor is that if you have a cattle ddock then it will inariably have it's own access to a road, not through the station entrance.

Jamie

Thank Jamie. Era is the 50's but it could also be the 30's as far as the track is concerned.

A

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

We find Lidl (UK) seeded wholemeal farmhouse brown bread, which is sliced in doorstep proportions, to be exceedingly satisfactory for sandwiches or toasting. 

In France, one finds sliced loaves classified as 'complet', which sounds ok, until one noicies the same brand has a rather more expensive product called '7 cereales' which is undoubtedly even nicer, and contains more good things. 

I prefer Tesco's wholemeal seeded bread from the in store bakery, problem is that so do a lot of other people and you have to get there before it all goes.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The oldest from new kit untouched in the mountain is only about 20 years old.

There is a part built ADV aircraft heavily modified, about 30 years old. This is due to be restarted soon.

But I recently bought a Ks complete loco kit at a show.. The original label is in £sd....

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I love good bread, and enjoy just simple bread and butter if the bread is good. I think some of the supermarkets do sell some very good bread, but unfortunately the volume sales still seem to be sliced white and products which I'd class as being more 'stuff' rather than bread. Over here it's even harder to get good bread, with the exception that really excellent Vietnamese style baguettes (banh mi) is readily available. Banh mi is derived from the French baguette but seems a bit crispier and lighter inside and when done well really is excellent.

Some time in the last decade, it seems to have been decided by the "chattering classes" that bread is A Bad Thing.  The number of people you hear insisting that they avoid it, terribly fattening etc.; it's funny how it's the staple food for almost every country on Earth, irrespective of race or religion.

I was blessed early in life when during the 1970s bread strike - yes really, there was a national shortage of flour - Mum started baking bread, developed a love of it and never stopped, so ate home-baked bread for my first two decades.  I will admit though, supermarket bread has got considerably better over the years.

As for eggs, on bacon butties or anywhere, I can't bring myself to eat them (cooked into things is OK); the smell turns my stomach and the story involves falling out of my high chair as a toddler when eating egg and toast soldiers.  I refused them after that.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Last week I put in some commission bids at a model railway auction, the first time I have ever made a proper auction bid. I bid on four items and won the following two,

https://auctions.specialauctionservices.com/m/my-items/won. The courier is due to deliver them tomorrow. I put in commission bids, one went to the line and I thought I'd lost it until the hammer went down. The other item I'd put a commission bid in of £100 but the hammer went down at £90.

17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.d8032c4a9a2fa110584b556a8ff9caa2.png

Lot 581 in Sale 110580 Trains Galore: Part One - Three Day Auction

The Model Shop Harrow 00 Gauge Kitbuilt London Underground Battery Locomotives and other stock, grey powered Battery Locomotive with Tenshodo Motor bogie, in original box and another similar unboxed model, grey bogie maintenance wagon with open centre, grey bogie Maintenance Van and brown District Railway Baggage Car, all built and finished to a good-very good standard, G-VG, box G (5)

Auction has ended

image.png.fd924b59ae65b5cd41a35e922fb6e9ec.png

Kitbuilt 00 Gauge London Underground Metropolitan wooden Passenger Stock, Hamblings style Trailer Car and Coach, The Model Shop 'Dreadnought' or similar nine Compartment Coaches and seven Compartment Coach and 4-wheel Baggage Car, all built and finished to a good to excellent standard, G-E, boxes G (5)

They arrived first thig this morning. Some of the descriptions were a bit off of the mark, what was described as a bogie open wagon is in fact a self propelled wheel carrier and is motorised (lower item in first pic above). What is described as a battery locomotive is in fact a ballast pilot motor in LT parlance, a withdrawn passenger driving motor car that serves as the name suggests for ballast trains also posing as a tool van and transport for the platelayers. Also included in the lot was an actual battery locomotive model and a small four wheel passenger brake van in District Railway livery but nothing like any District Railway stock that I am aware of. The second lot is as in the pic. Three Metropolitan railway 'Dreadnought' carriages that would be ideal behind a Heljan Metropolitan Bo-Bo together with the slightly older Jubilee stock passenger brake van. The remaining car is of the first Metropolitan Railway electric units, a driving trailer with luggage compartment.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm punishing myself, and Nyda as well. It's Christmas weekend and we are already forcing ourselves to a  second glass of Croft sherry.

We are forcing ourselves  to have a glass of pineau as an aperitif.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, AndyID said:

There has been a substantial influx of Californians to North Idaho in recent years but if this Winter keeps going like this I suspect there will be a substantial outflux 😀

Will you wave them off with glee like we do to Parisians.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

There has been a substantial influx of Californians to North Idaho in recent years but if this Winter keeps going like this I suspect there will be a substantial outflux 😀

We've seen the USA's weather forecasts over here (even the Texas border expecting to be sub-zero).  The forecast temperatures for the Northern States and Canada are painfully, bitterly, dangerously cold.  Stay safe.

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The voting system for this is probably as robust as that for the Eurovision Song context but ….

http://www.tasteatlas.com/best/cuisines

They’re having a larf, aren’t they Tony?

I mean, Italian at number one é una cosa giusta, but Greek at number two? By rights Chinese, Indian and Japanese should all be sharing first place with Italian, with French cuisine coming a handy 2nd (mainly because French cuisine is sometimes so far up its own derrière that it is incroyable). Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian, Singaporean, Vietnamese and (dare I say it?) English cuisine all deserve much, much higher places (in the top  15 certainly)

I reckon it’s the Creole and Cajun Cuisine* (with help from the Texas BBQ) that helped propel American cuisine so high in the ratings. It certainly wasn’t pop-tarts, Hostess Twinkies (sp?), chain burgers or Hershey’s chocolate

* a well done Cajun or Creole Jambalaya is truly a thing of wonder and can certainly hold its own against any risotto or byriani. And as for BBQ there’s only one critical question: Beef BBQ or Pork BBQ?

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

We find Lidl (UK) seeded wholemeal farmhouse brown bread, which is sliced in doorstep proportions, to be exceedingly satisfactory for sandwiches or toasting. 

In France, one finds sliced loaves classified as 'complet', which sounds ok, until one noicies the same brand has a rather more expensive product called '7 cereales' which is undoubtedly even nicer, and contains more good things. 

My impression of French 'pain complet', and similarly of the Italian 'pane integrale' is that it contains some wholemeal flour, and I would guess 50% or more ? I read in a bread book that 'pain de seigle' (rye bread) must contain at least 50% rye, but I've seen nothing about requirements for 'complet'.

• Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

We've seen the USA's weather forecasts over here (even the Texas border expecting to be sub-zero).  The forecast temperatures for the Northern States and Canada are painfully, bitterly, dangerously cold.  Stay safe.

It's much warmer today here. +11F which is not exceptionally cold for here, and a lot better than yesterday. We did take Shona for her walk and it was actually quite invigorating. She doesn't seem to mind the cold at all. She ran around and had a great time.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We are forcing ourselves  to have a glass of pineau as an aperitif.

Since this is my last evening of peace and quiet before various family factions descend on Hunt Towers and Jill has gone to bed, I am awarding myself a glass of Lagavulin accompanied by a piece of fruit cake with a slice of Stilton on the side. Some things are best enjoyed alone.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5