Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.d8032c4a9a2fa110584b556a8ff9caa2.png

Lot 581 in Sale 110580 Trains Galore: Part One - Three Day Auction

The Model Shop Harrow 00 Gauge Kitbuilt London Underground Battery Locomotives and other stock, grey powered Battery Locomotive with Tenshodo Motor bogie, in original box and another similar unboxed model, grey bogie maintenance wagon with open centre, grey bogie Maintenance Van and brown District Railway Baggage Car, all built and finished to a good-very good standard, G-VG, box G (5)

Auction has ended

image.png.fd924b59ae65b5cd41a35e922fb6e9ec.png

Kitbuilt 00 Gauge London Underground Metropolitan wooden Passenger Stock, Hamblings style Trailer Car and Coach, The Model Shop 'Dreadnought' or similar nine Compartment Coaches and seven Compartment Coach and 4-wheel Baggage Car, all built and finished to a good to excellent standard, G-E, boxes G (5)

I have to admit to admit to being non the wiser as to the significance of what you have bought but if you are happy with it, we’ll done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, AndyID said:

A Romford Bulldog perhaps?

The thing about motors is to get the fattest one that will possibly fit. That will get you the greatest amount of torque and let you use a low ratio (more efficient) reduction gear. The best motors I've ever found were made by Sagami. I wish I had bought a lot more before they went out of business.

A Bulldog like this one?

image.png.eff5326c1928334e0c4fa1d297c34577.png

Although I believe it came from Swindon and not Romford.

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, BoD said:

I have to admit to admit to being non the wiser as to the significance of what you have bought but if you are happy with it, we’ll done.

They are all London Transport stock, I have an LT based layout 'Minerva Lane'.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, BoD said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of ignorance its what keeps the world going round.

Its the 'by*"'=*s' that you have to watch out for.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Today I completed the rigging on the DH Tiger Moth, so there’s one less kit in my stash. All that’s left to do now is put the decals on and then fabricate a pair of windscreens and it done. This was built from an old and I really do mean old, as it was in a plastic bag with a paper header, so probably late 60s early 70s vintage. I’ve included a photo of it in it’s current state, unfortunately, the lighting wasn’t very good, so it’s a bit blurry. 

C320A657-1D63-4C06-B17B-D202B52940F1.jpeg.040d4238dc5b5245d5685d46389a9006.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

Here's where I am at with Plan B.

PlanBcut1.jpg.1ea05bb4c7bfda6e6542189425960977.jpg

Not exactly exciting 😀

It's 00 and those are one foot squares. The baseboard already exists. This is just the scenic part of the layout. I'm thinking it represents a bit of double track main line with a through station where a single track branch diverges.

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes. Trains from storage loops access the main and branch lines in either direction. The idea is that a train will enter the station then leave in one direction and return to the storage loops. After a delay it will return from the storage loops but in the opposite direction. It makes no difference which direction a train takes or whether it stays on the main line, or takes the branch. Trains returning to the loops all end up facing in the same direction in the loops.

I have attached a pdf and a jpg which should be printable should you have nothing better to do and feel like sketching passenger and goods facilities on the almost "blank canvas".

EDIT: Just to add the that all the turnouts will be designed in Templot and 3-D printed so there should not be any limitations on the geometry. The more curvaceous the better in fact.

Andy

PlanBcut.jpg

PlanBcut.pdf

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sometimes the good guys win. We've just been to a friend's house for drinks and nibbles and there was a chap there whom I know from Probus who asked me if I liked single malt whiskies because he had been given one by his old firm and he didn't drink whisky so would I like it. After several nanoseconds to consider the offer I agreed to take it off his hands and am now contemplating the first drop of.....

........Lagavulin. Mmmm.

Dave 

This used to happen to me all the time in England. People seem to assume everyone drinks and so give bottles of alcohol as gifts, and being English I never liked to offend by refusing a gift, so I'd just give it all away to friends and colleagues who'd enjoy it. The only stuff I ever drink (and seldomly) is sake, but I was never given a bottle of that for some reason.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Here's where I am at with Plan B.

PlanBcut1.jpg.1ea05bb4c7bfda6e6542189425960977.jpg

Not exactly exciting 😀

It's 00 and those are one foot squares. The baseboard already exists. This is just the scenic part of the layout. I'm thinking it represents a bit of double track main line with a through station where a single track branch diverges.

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes. Trains from storage loops access the main and branch lines in either direction. The idea is that a train will enter the station then leave in one direction and return to the storage loops. After a delay it will return from the storage loops but in the opposite direction. It makes no difference which direction a train takes or whether it stays on the main line, or takes the branch. Trains returning to the loops all end up facing in the same direction in the loops.

I have attached a pdf and a jpg which should be printable should you have nothing better to do and feel like sketching passenger and goods facilities on the almost "blank canvas".

EDIT: Just to add the that all the turnouts will be designed in Templot and 3-D printed so there should not be any limitations on the geometry. The more curvaceous the better in fact.

Andy

PlanBcut.jpg

PlanBcut.pdf 15.92 kB · 1 download

It llooks to me as if you could do a mirror image of Clapham in what is now North Yorks,  that had a few goods facilities on the main line and exchange sidings in the V todeal with mineral traffic, coal and stone, that came off the branch.  I'll try and dig out a plan.  What era is it set in.  The other facor is that if you have a cattle ddock then it will inariably have it's own access to a road, not through the station entrance.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, AndyID said:

A Romford Bulldog perhaps?

The thing about motors is to get the fattest one that will possibly fit. That will get you the greatest amount of torque and let you use a low ratio (more efficient) reduction gear. The best motors I've ever found were made by Sagami. I wish I had bought a lot more before they went out of business.

There's a few coming up on the 'bay, located in the USA 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

This used to happen to me all the time in England. People seem to assume everyone drinks and so give bottles of alcohol as gifts, and being English I never liked to offend by refusing a gift, so I'd just give it all away to friends and colleagues who'd enjoy it. The only stuff I ever drink (and seldomly) is sake, but I was never given a bottle of that for some reason.

NNNND came round the give a certain Bear a most unexpected gift of four bottles of Stella plus a small box of Quality Street a couple of days ago - since Bear doesn't drink the QS are by far the best bit; she did ask if I did drink and I did mumble "yes" so as not to disappoint her.  The Stella will be diverted to Buddy over the road as I'm sure he'll like them.

I'll be giving NNNND a rather nice large box of bikkies I got from the Co-op yesterday - bye bye bikkies.....it's been nice knowing you......😭

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/12/2022 at 18:33, Dave Hunt said:

I want to correct some extremely misleading statements regarding bacon and egg baps that have been made recently. As is widely acknowledged, bacon 'n egg baps are the finest food known to man, beating even LDC and that's saying something, but unfortunately there are those who would sully them by:

1. Putting butter on the bread.

2. Adding contaminants such as baked beans (punishable by strangulation), black pudding (yuk), cheese, mayonnaise and other foul substances.

The bacon 'n egg bap should only consist of white bread bap, dipped in the bacon fat, lots of crispy bacon and an egg cooked so that the yolk is thickened but still flowing. The addition of HP sauce is condoned in some quarters but is not to my personal taste.

An acceptable substitute for the bacon 'n egg bap, albeit just a close second place, is the bacon 'n tomato bap providing that the tomato is cooked in the bacon fat.

Dave   

Ahem...............

I humbly beg to differ on the suggestion in point 1 that butter be excluded from a bacon sandwich.

However, I do note that the container in this instance is that of a white bread bap and is therefore best catergorised as the entry level assembly.  Wholemeal bread, fried in bacon fat then buttered using salted butter is the preferred option ( as alluded to earlier ). 

The bacon itself should be at the lower end of crispy ( still able to provide flex and some cushioning on first biting into. Certainly not crispy to the point where it could be used, intended or adapted for use as a bladed weapon in a close combat enviroment. 

On the subject of eggs, scrambled is an acceptable alternative. Simply whizzed about, twist of salt and pepper and at a ratio of two large eggs per two slices of normal loaf sized bread. Adapt of course to local breadular variations. 

Point two is accepted in it's entirety and certainly smacks of interference from the former colonies. 

With regard to the consist to the fried egg, agreed. The yoke should flow and the user should take appropriate steps to minimise yoke transfer to shirt/tie/cardigan/sweater/trousers/beard and or moustache. The same caution should be exercised regarding melted butter/bacon fat. 

Once again there is agreement on the selective deployment of HP Sauce. The use of "ketchup" is best left to the colonials. 

On the subject of the bacon and tomato variant, yes, the tomato should be sliced before being fried in the bacon fat and suitable seasoning in the form of salt and pepper applied during the manouvere. Personal preference dictates a discreet seasonal sprinkling of oregano or basil which provides a Mediterranean lift to the ensemble. However, this is perhaps more appropriate between May and September. 

Tinned tomatoes can be used, suitably chopped and seasoned as above. However, due care is definitely required to be exercised in this instance as there is much potential for collateral damage. 

Rob

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Any Bacon bap/roll/sarnie/etc is always better served with proper, hand crafted bread products and not that imitation cardboard produced by various supermarkets.

We find Lidl (UK) seeded wholemeal farmhouse brown bread, which is sliced in doorstep proportions, to be exceedingly satisfactory for sandwiches or toasting. 

In France, one finds sliced loaves classified as 'complet', which sounds ok, until one noicies the same brand has a rather more expensive product called '7 cereales' which is undoubtedly even nicer, and contains more good things. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Do you ever go to the Pantomine?

Oh, Yes you do!

I got to the contents page of the latest digital BRM to find out the they were reviewing the Rapido Class 28 (O gauge) on page 111.

Oh, No they're Not!

Page 111 is devoted to fitting fibre optics and I believe that Rapido's class 28 offering is in N gauge.

Not much different is size between N and O is there?

Oh Yes there is.....

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

I love good bread, and enjoy just simple bread and butter if the bread is good. I think some of the supermarkets do sell some very good bread, but unfortunately the volume sales still seem to be sliced white and products which I'd class as being more 'stuff' rather than bread. Over here it's even harder to get good bread, with the exception that really excellent Vietnamese style baguettes (banh mi) is readily available. Banh mi is derived from the French baguette but seems a bit crispier and lighter inside and when done well really is excellent.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In France, one finds sliced loaves classified as 'complet', which sounds ok, until one noicies the same brand has a rather more expensive product called '7 cereales' which is undoubtedly even nicer, and contains more good things. 

Some boulangeries even sell a 'batard complet', of which I have known a few.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

@polybear

1203349144_FB_IMG_16712136185721.jpg.6f5160c8459a720efccb9a25f4917fb1.jpg

The bear faced cheek of it all ! Who was behind this ! 

I suggest it was someone working in a back office. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I got the M's mixed up....

There was a connection. According to some of the story versions  Minerva punished Medusa by creating the snakes on her head. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1