Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Further on old kits, I can't match some of the admissions here but I did recently finish a kit that Jill bought for me 25 years ago and I've just discovered a 7mm kit of Stephenson's Rocket complete with tiny motor that I vaguely remember buying at an exhibition but exactly where and when escapes me.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Original Airfix Railway series kits go for (or did) quite a bit of money on EBay.

I bought ten Airfix 16 ton mineral wagons and sold them 12 months later for more than twice what I paid for them.

Rats! I built mine about 30 years ago. But there is no shortage of other kits that I am going to build just as soon as I get a round tuit.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I checked my box and I think the oldest unstarted kit is a K's Dean Goods 0-6-0 with a price tag of $25.95.

I have an unfinished kit of a K's 63xx mogul with the same price.

Not sure when I bought them; could have been student days (late 60s) or early 70s.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I checked my box and I think the oldest unstarted kit is a K's Dean Goods 0-6-0 with a price tag of $25.95.

Not sure when I bought them; could have been student days (late 60s) or early 70s.

If it's anywhere near as bad as the one K's kit I have I would encourage you to bin it 😀

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

If they were in boxes it would I think, put them pre 1975 ish. After that they were sort of shrink wrapped into a card backing.

Jamie

• Agree 5

BTW, the large lumps on the right side of the road in the pic I posted are snow from snow plowing with the tractor a few days ago. I have a bulldozer type blade on the front of the tractor that I use for that. The tractor also has a pull-along grader/scraper blade at the rear that can be angled to deflect the snow to either side. It works really well but it builds up berms along the sides of the road which reduce the width of the road with each plowing. Eventually I have to bulldoze the berms well clear of the road with the tractor's front blade.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I’ve not checked my kit stash yet, which is probably in the 3 figure area now, but I know I have some that I acquired well before Sheila and I married and that was in 1978!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday evening I managed to mark out the locations of the point rodding stools and the associated compensators and crank locations.  I now need to chop up some sleeper strip to represent their mounting pads.  When I finally get to fit them, I'll need to remember all the metal bars evident in photographs that acted as locating and reinforcing straps.

After a morning of gardening activity as the sun was shining, I returned to find an email from br2975 with  a  number of pictures, including one of food, and yet another track plan.

I shall spend my lunchbreak with a piece of paper and a pencil scribbling furiously.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Some discussion on the level crossing thread.

(Even though it's in the UK section, it's the place where most crossing incidents turn up)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, AndyID said:

If it's anywhere near as bad as the one K's kit I have I would encourage you to bin it 😀

Back in the '70s I built a few Ks kits including a MR Kirtley goods engine and managed to get them all to run well. I sold all except the Kirtley, which spent the next 40 odd years in a box in a cupboard. Last year I gave all my 4mm stuff to Tony Wright to sell for CRUK and after he'd cleaned and lubricated it the model ran well again. Hence in my experience Ks kits were what you made of them - not the easiest to build but with care capable of being decent additions to a loco stud.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

13 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Back in the '70s I built a few Ks kits including a MR Kirtley goods engine and managed to get them all to run well. I sold all except the Kirtley, which spent the next 40 odd years in a box in a cupboard. Last year I gave all my 4mm stuff to Tony Wright to sell for CRUK and after he'd cleaned and lubricated it the model ran well again. Hence in my experience Ks kits were what you made of them - not the easiest to build but with care capable of being decent additions to a loco stud.

Dave

The only one I have is the Caledonian 0-4-4T. It was given to me by a colleague around 1973 because he couldn't figure it out. The castings just do not fit together (not even close) The wheels do not run anywhere close to true and the N/S tire fell off one. The brass LH and RH chassis pieces are different lengths and the motor fell to pieces. Apart from that it's great 😀

I might eventually sort it but if I do not much of it will be from the original kit.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Today we went on what I am assured was positively, absolutely, certainly, definitely, 100% sure the last shopping expedition before Christmas - well, probably. We were in the company of most of the population of North Hipposhire  by the look of things but luckily my years of playing rugby, albeit many moons ago, came in use and I managed to get us through without too much damage. We now have more supplies than those that were sent to relieve Mafeking so we ought to be able to survive the 24 hours the shops are shut.

There was a bonus, though, as I was allowed into the workshop for a few hours this afternoon.

Dave 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The only one I have is the Caledonian 0-4-4T. It was given to me by a colleague around 1973 because he couldn't figure it out. The castings just do not fit together (not even close) The wheels do not run anywhere close to true and the N/S tire fell off one. The brass LH and RH chassis pieces are different lengths and the motor fell to pieces. Apart from that it's great 😀

I might eventually sort it but if I do not much of it will be from the original kit.

I  stand corrected. Obviously I was lucky with the Ks kits I built or maybe I bought them at the right time - between 1972 and 1975 - when there were obviously some decent ones on the market but there were also some duffers starting to appear. After that I got into scratchbuilding and didn't buy any more kits.

Dave. 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 9