Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Sorry I was just excited about somebody mentioning hamsters. Romans used to eat dormice on sticks. Not the teeny dormice that live in hazel groves but big ones with the unfortunate name of edible dormice. They  are still over much of Europe but there  are a few in the UK. They like to live in roof spaces and can be noisy but they are protected and  require special permission to move. I have no idea if they have ever been in a shed. We had some quite interesting giant slugs living in our shed roof.

The giant orange ones?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Which begs the obvious question, Tony, how do you eat your slugs?

Dunno about anyone else, but apparently you boil 'em in lightly salted water for 15 minutes.

It also helps to feed them a diet of lettuce for a couple of weeks before cooking to flush "stuff" out of their digestive tracts...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Coastalview and I both attended another session about CAD/CAM  laser cutting and 3D printing at the Borders MRC in Llandrinio this morning.

Most useful it was and I am now seriously considering buying a small laser/engraver/cutter as well as a 3D printer.

I believe they can be used for creating non railway stuff for the likes of grandchildren, Girlguiding fundraising events or even certain Christmas decorations.

These tasks being very important in the persuasion stakes of the Comptroller of Finance.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

My “it won’t be difficult” removing the dead dwarf pear trees was not my most correct statement today. Any wood bigger than a lopper could cope with was requiring a lot more effort than I expected when using either of the tree saws.  So I thought perhaps I should try the chainsaw. I haven’t used it for a while but it has been well stored and I checked all the oil.   I got all my protective clothing on and switched it on , it is electric, and just got a whirring sound. I then recalled I had lent it to someone., and I hadn’t used it since. The motor wasn’t driving the chain so I put the chain back,over the sprocket and adjusted the tension and the chain then worked.. But it wouldn’t cut at all. So I thought perhaps it needs sharpening. My saw has an Oregon bar and chain with a nifty sharpening device. Made no difference. I then thought perhaps I needed a new chain and entered the confusing world of chainsaws. Until today I thought Oregon bar was either something to do with lawyers or craft ale. Fortunately after staring at pictures of really cheap “genuine” replacements or quite expensive guaranteed genuine replacements Imwent out and gave the chainsaw a good hard stare. This was a good thing as I realised when the saw had been returned to me the chain was the wrong way round. Works perfectly now. 
I may even get around to moving stuff about in the garage which I intended to do today.  
Tony

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The giant orange ones?

17296043858543224465408206270112.jpg.1eed5a54d56bc7fd938a5e3d600ac424.jpg?

Bit too indigestible for me.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

I personally don’t but my brother has eaten sluggy creatures when he was being entertained by the Thai Army. 
The giant slugs in the shed roof were of a variety that only eat dead wood unlike the slugs that eat hostas.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

These tasks being very important in the persuasion stakes of the Comptroller of Finance.

Aditi is always very impressed when I use one of the model railway tools to repair something. I wouldn’t use the garden chainsaw on my railway. Though when I see some of the layouts on here and in magazines I sometimes feel like ripping it all up and starting again. 

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I seem to recall that the Romans stuffed them and ate them off a stick - like a toffee apple. Baked hedgehog anyone?

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Wasn’t that’s the edible dormouse? A small colony live wild in Hertfordshire but aren’t left over from the Romans, these are a later introduction. Protected species, so you can’t just evict them from your loft. 

Yes we are familiar with edible dormice aka glis glis. They have been in the loft and the shed but I haven't seen them for a while. They are definitely not a protected species.  A wooden mallet is quite effe tive and the owls recycle them. 

As to hamsters, I thought we were getting back to felching but I won't go down that route. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds very much to me like a person not to lend stuff to next time…..

48 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My “it won’t be difficult” removing the dead dwarf pear trees was not my most correct statement today. Any wood bigger than a lopper could cope with was requiring a lot more effort than I expected when using either of the tree saws.  So I thought perhaps I should try the chainsaw. I haven’t used it for a while but it has been well stored and I checked all the oil.   I got all my protective clothing on and switched it on , it is electric, and just got a whirring sound. I then recalled I had lent it to someone., and I hadn’t used it since. The motor wasn’t driving the chain so I put the chain back,over the sprocket and adjusted the tension and the chain then worked.. But it wouldn’t cut at all. So I thought perhaps it needs sharpening. My saw has an Oregon bar and chain with a nifty sharpening device. Made no difference. I then thought perhaps I needed a new chain and entered the confusing world of chainsaws. Until today I thought Oregon bar was either something to do with lawyers or craft ale. Fortunately after staring at pictures of really cheap “genuine” replacements or quite expensive guaranteed genuine replacements Imwent out and gave the chainsaw a good hard stare. This was a good thing as I realised when the saw had been returned to me the chain was the wrong way round. Works perfectly now. 
I may even get around to moving stuff about in the garage which I intended to do today.  
Tony

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'm not sure that PB is concerned with the "humane" entrapment of spiders, he'd just wale at them with the heel of his shoe!  OTOH, I wouidn't mind those boxes of marshmallow teacakes* visible in the basket, despite having to attend the Fang Farrier in a couple of hours time...

* At least they're nice and soft!

I can recommend the tea cakes. Reminds me of some I used to have in my 'youf' a long long time ago.

Unfortunately there was no sign of the spider catcher so I wouldn't be surprised if PB had beaten me to it. If only he'd mentioned that he was on the look out for one, I would have happily acquired it in the spirit of TNM cooperation.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

When I did the RAF jungle survival course in 1968 I ate slug stew made by bunging slugs and various bits of greenery and roots into a pot with about a pound of curry powder and boiling for a few hours. If you ignored your mind telling you that it must be yucky because of what was in it, it wasn't too bad but I was careful not to repeat the exercise. (I'll gloss over the fried centipedes shall I?).

Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Tony

You've left us well and truly high and dry there Tony. Did the pear tree get cut down? Were the surgeons able to reattach your leg? Will you be 'lending' your chainsaw out again? Cum on we need to know these things. Curious minds and everything.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I know I'm not the brightest, but I thought modern, whizzy cars were either hybrid, or all-electric, but not both?

Well, that's what it said on the tin:

IMG_5853.jpeg.d67a6287a900336f24c02535ea339ac8.jpeg

Presumably the motor is hybrid but everything else is electrical/electronic without cables or other mechanical parts.

But I'm just speculating here.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Coastalview and I both attended another session about CAD/CAM  laser cutting and 3D printing at the Borders MRC in Llandrinio this morning.

Most useful it was and I am now seriously considering buying a small laser/engraver/cutter as well as a 3D printer.

I believe they can be used for creating non railway stuff for the likes of grandchildren, Girlguiding fundraising events or even certain Christmas decorations.

You'll end up like Bachmann, fighting for a production slot for your own projects!

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

17296043858543224465408206270112.jpg.1eed5a54d56bc7fd938a5e3d600ac424.jpg?

Bit too indigestible for me.

I was going to mention The Orange One, but decided not to attempt any "political" comment. However, he is a bit "sluggy", isn't he...

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Pale green.

Bog standard slugs. Yeuch!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

When I did the RAF jungle survival course in 1968 I ate slug stew made by bunging slugs and various bits of greenery and roots into a pot with about a pound of curry powder and boiling for a few hours. If you ignored your mind telling you that it must be yucky because of what was in it, it wasn't too bad but I was careful not to repeat the exercise. (I'll gloss over the fried centipedes shall I?).

Dave

We have come to like snails but only after they have been cleansed by being fed flour for three weeks prior to being cooked in garlic, butter and breadcrumbs. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oh, and now cannibalism is on the menu.

Dave

Sorry, that awful pun was unintentional, honest.

I've actually eaten human flesh.

Let me explain: one day in the workshop I managed to chop off a bit of finger. After I had stemmed the bleeding and bandaged myself I up I had a bit of iD going spare. So out of curiosity I popped into my mouth and had a chew. Definitely tough and chewy, BUT, it was just integument, not muscle. I suspect that human muscle (and muscle being what most meat is) cooked like beef or pork would definitely be edible, if not tasty.

Auto-cannibalism as opposed to bona-fide cannibalism 

But, let's not forget: "Soylent Green IS people"

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

You've left us well and truly high and dry there Tony. Did the pear tree get cut down? Were the surgeons able to reattach your leg? Will you be 'lending' your chainsaw out again? Cum on we need to know these things. Curious minds and everything.

Well so far. The pear is reduced to a stump to give me (or Aditi) something to haul on when whomsoever digs out the roots. My leg wasn’t cut. I looked at a few “how to use a chainsaw safely” videos on YouTube when I first bought one. It is less likely I will lend it out again. If I ever do need a replacement chain, I think I will get the genuine brand name item from Screwfix rather than something of dubious provenance. 
I also cut the front lawn (not with a chainsaw) without incident too, so for a day where I planned to be sorting out stuff in the garage I have been outside a lot. 
Tony

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

We have come to like snails but only after they have been cleansed by being fed flour for three weeks prior to being cooked in garlic, butter and breadcrumbs. 

Jamie

That's absolutely critical - to clean out the beasties before eating them, many animals live on insects and plants that are absolutely toxic to humans.

A good example of this are some of the various South American tree frogs. In South America they can secrete deadly toxins, but the same frogs raised in captivity in Britain and fed on a diet of British insects and plants will not secrete toxins - it's all down to the diet.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

The Army were always led to believe that the RAF  aircrew survival course was passed only if you managed to endure an overnight stay  in a suite at The Peninsula Hotel at Hyde Park Corner.

The next day consisted of crossing the road, whilst carrying your own suitcase without supervision or assistance, and then bimbling through Green Park, taking in the air and views of various military memorials.

The course finished by taking afternoon tea at The Ritz.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Presumably the motor is hybrid but everything else is electrical/electronic without cables or other mechanical parts.

It doesn’t seem to mention hybrid in that quote, so the motor is probably electric not a petrol or diesel hybrid. I have noticed more pure electric cars perhaps,due to the green stripe some display on their numberplates..

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

The Army were always led to believe that the RAF survival course was passed only if you managed to endure and overnight stay  in a suite at The Peninsula Hotel at Hyde Park corner.

The next day consisted of crossing the road, whilst carrying your own suitcase without supervision or assistance, and then bimbling through Green Park, taking in the air and views of various military memorials.

Wouldn't that depend upon whether or not they've been fast tracked for loadsa gold braid?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The Army were always led to believe that the RAF survival course was passed only if you managed to endure an overnight stay  in a suite at The Peninsula Hotel at Hyde Park corner.

I asked a couple of my students what they had done over half term and they said they had been to Norway. I said how lovely but it was an ATC survival experience by the people who organise such courses for aircrew. They failed in their attempt to catch a rabbit to eat but a kindly Flight Sergeant chucked a dead warm bunny into their tent to prepare and eat. 
Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Wouldn't that depend upon whether or not they've been fast tracked for loadsa gold braid?

No, that course is far more gruelling.

It's nine days in the Bahamas.

• Funny 6