Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I had a colleague who when he was driving round Romford would always be looking up at roofers working. This was quite nerve wracking for passengers. He was looking for the roofer who had gone off with his money and tiles. He never did find him. He was planning to kick his ladder away when he found him. 

If they're on the ladder at the time it easily becomes attempted murder; if not then they'll simply climb down the scaffolding or call a mate or the F.B.

Me?  I'd bung a tracker in their van.......

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

We only use people for household jobs recommended by Lee “over the road”. He works with reliable people. He also recommends us to the tradesmen as reliable payers of bills.   Chasing people for payment seems to take up quite a lot of a tradesman’s time. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

We have sycamores, sycamores and....yet more sycamores.  At this time of year we are inundated with leaves and 'helicopter' seeds.  Under them are some hawthorn and holly, that's about it really bar the garden ornamental and fruit trees.

Any tree (bar fruit) over 12cm diameter trunk here needs planning permission to cut down, and basically unless it is dangerous, you won't get it.

20230712_163303.jpg.2f1ee2b9e7ef9dadd5e94bee895e0194.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

If they're on the ladder at the time it easily becomes attempted murder; if not then they'll simply climb down the scaffolding or call a mate or the F.B.

Me?  I'd bung a tracker in their van.......

I suspect that the naughty roofer had moved on anyway. I expect “removing his ladders” was a euphemism.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

We’re shortly about to leave deepest, windiest and rainiest Zummerzet after night stopping in a little bnb following yesterday’s S7 Group meeting at Mark. Further details will follow after our return to what I hope will be a calmer and less soggy North Hipposhire.

Dave

Just to warn you:

The latest drainage pit I dug, (the cubic metre one) is overflowing.

Please collect your buoyancy aids and floatation devices for your V-Hickle at the roundabout junction of the A5/A41 just west of Weston under Lizard.

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Just to warn you:

The latest drainage pit I dug, (the cubic metre one) is overflowing.

Please collect your buoyancy aids and floatation devices for your V-Hickle at the roundabout junction of the A5/A41 just west of Weston under Lizard.

Too late!

image.png.a1b50f123e79ccdb15e6bf76e363ebb0.png

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The majority of our hedge(s) is Hawthorn, with Holly, Guelder Rose, Dogwood and Elderflower thrown in for good measure, so a proper native species hedge.  It also contains Ivy  and Nettle(not by choice).

Oak trees are a pain in the garden due to the amount of leaves and other bits they shed: All though the year for good measure.  Ash is similar.  My advice would never plant a tree in the garden unless you are sure of it's size. ....

Several suppliers offer mixed species packs for hedges. If I get to plant a hedge, I'll use them. Experts say you're supposed to be able to tell the likely age of a hedge by the number of species in it. I just like variety and how a mix of a dozen or so species gives a smorgasbord of food and habitats for the wildlife and flowers, colour and texture for me.  

Yes, I am approaching tree planting with some caution. Whilst I have more space here than I have had previously, including a semi-open space down the side (my 'meadow') I know how much space mature trees can take up. And I'm not putting them close to the house or wall. Unless I buy someone's field, I won't be getting any oaks or ashes (cue posts about weather lore!) as they just grow too big. I've been looking at the mature height and spread figures before purchase and waving long garden canes about on the ground and sticking them in the air to get an idea what a mature version will look like and what it will cast shade on. (You don't half get some funny looks waving a 15 foot length of cane about)! I'll get a telescopic lopper, so I can prune upper branches from the ground and don't have to use ladders.  

Today could well be a reading day, it's a tad wet and windy. When I went out earlier to check on things a so far unused tree hole was doing a passable impression of a miniature swimming pool for the local wildlife, I put an old plank in in case any of them fell in and couldn't get out via the sides. Hmm, I was thinking about a small rowan but perhaps a willow tree might do better there! 

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I like trees in the right place, we have a non-friendly neighbour with a 30+ft Black Walnut and a Leylandii (yellow area) providing shade onto our back garden until about 2pm. Trimmed as much as can be reached. Urrgh. Neighbour says she likes her privacy as she looks over into our garden while commenting on the state of it. The only thing that is hidden by the Walnut is her roof. We wonder what she does up there that she thinks is so interesting. Rant off!

20241020 Googleview.pdf

Edited by Canal Digger
change image attachment
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

We escaped Lutom reasonably early today and made it back to SM42 Towers ahead of any serious weather. 

We only have on tree  a rather small Acer that doesn't look very happy. 

There is some dead wood in there that needs to come out, but it's a ladder job and I can't see anywhere to position one with any stability.

When we had our building work done, the agreement was pay in installments at various stages through the project. 

The first payment was three weeks in. 

We also had an electrician do some work around 2 years ago. 

He sent one of his staff to do the job and they said an invoice will be sent, but he can take his time issuing them. 

We're still waiting. 

Andy

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The phone screen is showing the weather as light showers. 

If these are light I dread to think what they mean by heavy rain. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

15 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its the Random Fireworks season once again....

"bang bang bang" all evening!

And on and on for at least another three bluddy weeks...

Are fireworks illegal in Australia?

No they are not illegal in Australia, are we some kind of Nanny state!?!

In Australia you can purchase fireworks on any day.......... as long as it is the 1st of July, between 9AM and 9PM.

And you can purchase them from anywhere.

.....Anywhere in the Northern Territory that is. Pick up in-store  only, no mail orders.

unnamed(1).jpg.398e3775541d6ec64b10f27566e3fe14.jpg

And you are free to set them off at anytime.

as long as its between 6 and 11PM.

On July 1st.

Anywhere! 

As long as it In the Northern Territory......

Anywhere else any other time - massive fine for you!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I hate fireworks and now that drone shows are so much more impressive I can't see the point of them. Some drone shows are spectacular, the lunar new year show over Marina Bay was incredible. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ash are very quick growing but are prone to Ash Die Back I'm afraid. Mature ones are very prone to casting there limbs without any warning.

The best way of attracting wildlife is to grow a mixture of trees and shrubs. That way you'll offer a wide variety of food sources.

If you don't like people coming down your front path and annoying you by ringing your doorbell , I can recommend a pair of these, one each side.

https://herbalistics.com.au/product/dendrocnide-moroides-gympie-stinger-plant/

Unfortunately out of stock at the moment, which only means its effectiveness as a means of keeping the Jehovah's Witnesses at bay is proven by its popularity 

But dont take my word for it, check out some of the positive reviews - these were  written by  satisfied purchasers, not by Captain  Crackers, or whoever @iL Dottore has employed as a Hard Man, but I bet he wishes his garden had a few of these in them! 

"Being stung is the worst kind of pain you can imagine – like being burnt with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time,”

“The allergic reaction developed over time, causing extreme itching and huge hives that eventually required steroid treatment. At that point my doctor advised that I should have no further contact with the plant and I didn’t object.”

My packhorse “was stung, got mad, and died within two hours”

“I remember it feeling like there were giant hands trying to squash my chest. For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower.”

“There’s nothing to rival it; it’s 10 times worse than anything else – scrub ticks, scrub itch and itchy-jack sting included. "

“Within minutes the initial stinging and burning intensified and the pain in my eyes was like someone had poured acid on them. My mouth and tongue swelled up so much that I had trouble breathing. It was debilitating and I had to blunder my way out of the bush.”

Just a sample of the happy customers who have been in contact with a Gympie Gympie tree.

“Although they come from a plant, the gympietides are similar to spider and cone snail toxins in the way they fold into their 3D molecular structures and target the same pain receptors—this arguably makes the Gympie-Gympie tree a truly ‘venomous’ plant. "

Who needs fireworks when we can buy stuff like this!

Australia - funny as. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

If you don't like people coming down your front path and annoying you by ringing your doorbell , I can recommend a pair of these, one each side.

https://herbalistics.com.au/product/dendrocnide-moroides-gympie-stinger-plant/

Unfortunately out of stock at the moment, which only means its effectiveness as a means of keeping the Jehovah's Witnesses at bay is proven by its popularity 

But dont take my word for it, check out some of the positive reviews - these were  written by  satisfied purchasers, not by Captain  Crackers, or whoever @iL Dottore has employed as a Hard Man, but I bet he wishes his garden had a few of these in them! 

"Being stung is the worst kind of pain you can imagine – like being burnt with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time,”

“The allergic reaction developed over time, causing extreme itching and huge hives that eventually required steroid treatment. At that point my doctor advised that I should have no further contact with the plant and I didn’t object.”

My packhorse “was stung, got mad, and died within two hours”

“I remember it feeling like there were giant hands trying to squash my chest. or two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower.”

Just a sample of the happy customers who have been in contact with a Gympie Gympie tree.

Australia - funny as. 

And you're actually allowed to sell that stuff??  Jeez......

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

Just now, polybear said:

And you're actually allowed to sell that stuff??  Jeez......

but Its 100% natural so it has to be good.

What can be bad about things that are 100% natural?     - isn't that a  positive selling point in the parts of the world that don't have 100% natural sharks, and 100% natural crocodiles and 100% natural snakes?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Australia - funny as. 

That's not a gympie...

This is a Gympie...

17294282270975757809048166050884.jpg.0a8cb27d3d519475e2a986b5633bd116.jpg

Didn't Crocodile Dundee come out with something similar?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's not a gympie...

This is a Gympie...

Purely coincidentally I have a date with the Lithgow Small Arms Factory tomorrow. Now owned by Thales, it currently produces the F88 Steyr and the  F989 Minimi  for the ADF so I'll have to ask them about that one!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The problem with the Gympie Gympie , is by Australian standards it's a failure..

It doesn't finish by killing you..

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

42 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The problem with the Gympie Gympie , is by Australian standards it's a failure..

It doesn't finish by killing you..

Actually, compared to say Canada and the US with their bears and mountain lions etc, we don't have stuff that will tear you apart and get it over with quickly .  Oh, apart from crocs and sharks if you are being pedantic.

Most of our stuff prefers to just bite or sting, then stand back and admire their handywork as you spend an hour or two in incredible pain and fear wondering if you will die before you can get to help. 

Accounts from those stung by the Gympie Gympie tree have Captain Cynical going back to the drawing board when it comes to inflicting hurt!!

One ex-serviceman, Cyril Bromley, fell into one of the plants during WWII training exercises, and he ended up strapped to a hospital bed, "as mad as a cut snake." Bromley also told a story of an officer who unknowingly used a leaf as toilet paper. He ended up shooting himself.

Botanist Ernie Rider was whacked in the face, arm, and chest in 1963, and it wasn't until 1965 that he was finally free of the pain.

If you're stung by the plant, you can't just pluck the needles out with tweezers. They're too fine and too dense — one of the best solutions is to rip them all out at once with hot wax, like the world's worst Brazilian. But be careful. If any of the hundreds of stingers stuck in your skin breaks off, you're in for years of pain. Researchers have even reported being stung by dried leaves stored away for a century.

The pain can continue for months, often leaving people sleepless. In some cases, the pain is so excruciating, it can even drive to suicide. It’s the reason Gympie-Gympie is also called the “suicide plant”

So it does do for you in in the end, but gets you to do it, an extra twist to its bastardn3ss! 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's not a gympie...

This is a Gympie...

That's much safer - it only kills when you want it to.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, we got back to North Hipposhire through some precipitation of occasional biblical proportions to find that Hunt Towers is still standing but has a garden full of debris and the wind is still bringing more. However, I had a great day yesterday at Mark and let some of my locomotives stretch their legs. 
IMG_0958.jpeg.3ed7c64f604aa3b1e982d8c3f869ac32.jpeg

The Schenectady mogul with the breakdown train (that one specially for NHN).

Dave

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The Schenectady mogul with the breakdown train (that one specially for NHN).

I looked at it and thought it reminded me of US Moguls..... How little I know about matters Midland!

• Like 8
  • Funny 1