Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

There is a "brand" of refrigerated box cars here called "Cryo-Trans" that every car of theirs that I have seen (with maybe two exceptions) has the bottom half almost completely covered with that carp. Some photos here:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ftsa&q=CRYO+TRAN&atb=v170-1&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.trains.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F01%2FTRN_Cyro_Trans_Sold_0106.jpg&pn=1

That large light-colored area is a tempting target.

What I don't understand is how they can afford to do it. Any time I buy a can of spray paint I'm shocked at the price.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

The weather here has been pretty poor for the last couple of weeks, it's the back end of one of the two monsoon periods. It's not so much that it's any wetter, and temperature and humidity are normal rather it's just constantly grey and overcast. We came to Arab Street, the area around the Sultan Mosque for lunch as there are loads of excellent Turkish and middle Eastern restaurants but it's another grey day. Good food though. And the daughter wanted a new kabaya sarong and this is a good place for them.

20241018_143856.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Graffiti annoys me, if someone designates a wall or something for 'street art' then that's fine (a lot of local authorities have tried designating subway tunnels etc) but painting someone's wall, a train or anything else without authorization is just vandalism regardless of any artistic merit.

I'd designate the tunnel sections between Underground Stations (those truly underground) as a free-for-all canvas (but no closer than 50m to a station so it can't be seen).  The only rule is it has to be done during rush-hour though; trains won't be stopped and the power stays on.  Tunnels get inspected once a month for any "bits" the rats have left behind.....

Anywhere else and for first offence you lose a paw, as well as any entitlements to any benefits or NHS - for life.  Second offence and it's the other paw too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

The weather here has been pretty poor for the last couple of weeks, it's the back end of one of the two monsoon periods. It's not so much that it's any wetter, and temperature and humidity are normal rather it's just constantly grey and overcast. We came to Arab Street, the area around the Sultan Mosque for lunch as there are loads of excellent Turkish and middle Eastern restaurants but it's another grey day. Good food though. And the daughter wanted a new kabaya sarong and this is a good place for them.

20241018_143856.jpg

Most strange. No litter. Not normal at all. Or people, I use that term advisory, sitting drinking or frozen due to Spice. Definitely weird.

• Funny 7

11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Also today I took delivery of a Hobby Holidays 7mm chassis jig after seeing one in action at the Warley at Statfold show. Turns out it was the last one in stock and in all probability there won't be any more so I was lucky. I was also lucky in that Jill didn't see it arrive and ask awkward questions such as, "How much???"

Dave

I got one of those not long after they were first marketed.  Excellent tool which has paid for itself many times over and made assembling a set of loco frames square, a doddle!  

Mine has an MDF baseplate so I gave it a couple of coats of varnish to seal it against any problems with flux splashes and I always give the slides and axle rods a wipe with an oily rag before putting away until the next build.  

I’m just about to get mine out again as yesterday I cut out the frames for one of the 12 Apostles!

Ian

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

What I don't understand is how they can afford to do it. Any time I buy a can of spray paint I'm shocked at the price.

They probably steal it.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

This morning was spent trimming our side of the hedge from the oak tree by the house, down to the road.

After I've digested my lunch, I'll do the other side, which finishes it off. 

Well, at least until the spring.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

This morning was spent trimming our side of the hedge from the oak tree by the house, down to the road.

After I've digested my lunch, I'll do the other side, which finishes it off. 

Well, at least until the spring.

So your digesting the hedge and then going back for another helping this afternoon.

Well I can think of better ways to get some roughage in your diet, but given it's you I suppose we shouldn't be surprised.

• Funny 3