Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Leaving Paris, we have just passed a disused signalbox, near Versailles Chantiers. Much graffitied, the most legible word is “SPAD”!

My rucksack is full of contraband. Two Dia 2406 BCKs; two petrol tankers (identical - a click&collect error. But I had plenty of time to examine them in the shop, so mea culpa, too); an Accurascale Siphon G; two Rapido ex-LNWR vans; a Hornby M7 and a Peco Code 75 LH curved point. Should give some entertainment until my next trip, 7th November. 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Leaving Paris, we have just passed a disused signalbox, near Versailles Chantiers. Much graffitied, the most legible word is “SPAD”!

My rucksack is full of contraband. Two Dia 2406 BCKs; two petrol tankers (identical - a click&collect error. But I had plenty of time to examine them in the shop, so mea culpa, too); an Accurascale Siphon G; two Rapido ex-LNWR vans; a Hornby M7 and a Peco Code 75 LH curved point. Should give some entertainment until my next trip, 7th November. 

Sounds like a very mixed bag.... 🙃

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

...snip... It also highlights how we tend to be oblivious to tragedies elsewhere. Loss of life in the 'Estonia' tragedy was far higher than the Herald loss yet in the UK few remember the 'Estonia'. And virtually nobody in Europe has heard of the 'Dona Paz' disaster in 1987 in the Philippines which is estimated to have killed over 4000 people.

Every time that I read figures like those, I think of MV Wilhelm Gustloff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

Over 9,000 people died but the true total will never be known!

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Every time that I read figures like those, I think of MV Wilhelm Gustloff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

Over 9,000 people died but the true total will never be known!

And the Lancastria,  potentially similar numbers.  On a smaller scale but probably just as impactive to it's community, The Iolair. 

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And the Lancastria,  potentially similar numbers.  On a smaller scale but probably just as impactive to it's community, The Iolair. 

Jamie

I have a book about the LANCASTRIA, I read just earlier this year.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Today's Trayne Klubb excitement was finally getting started on the 00-9 layout.

The Ibiza now has four new tyres.

This afternoon was spent starting to get the garden ready for the winter.

We have also been busy cutting and drying the monster apple crop from the Worcester Apple tree.  One more blitz ought to create enough dried apple to last until next year. This year we have been giving apples away to anyone who showed even the slightest interest.  In past years, the Worcester had been rather mean when it comes to cropping.

Providing the weather remains ok, the garden will get similar treatment again:  I do have to take the top off the other half of the hedge.

In other news, I'm seriously considering buying a 40W laser cutter and a 3D printer now that I'm starting to get my head around creating proper 3 D drawings and the ability to finally be able to generate .stl files. (I blame Andy from the Potato state!)

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I was mainly supposed to be making the house tidy enough for visitors tomorrow but it didn’t take long as once I cleared some computers I have been playing with away there wasn’t much to do.

Later I carried on putting some model  railway software on the MacBook I had the OS reinstalled on yesterday. Unlike the Windows version which just works, the  Mac version doesn’t, until you start downloading folders, renaming them and saving them somewhere else. Anyway it all works now, and problem solving is good for the brain. 
I found a nice blue locomotive that I couldn’t remember if I had put a decoder in when I bought it some years ago. It seem that I had. The decoder number I gave it is 5501 which may or may not be a clue to what it is. It isn’t a sound fitted model .

Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

In past years, the Worcester had been rather mean when it comes to cropping.

Our pear trees have been very poor over the last couple of years and are most unhealthy. Aditi took the last few pears off today and made a chocolate and pear cake. 
The trees are probably being replaced this year, not with pears though. A plum and a qage  seem to be Aditi’s favoured option. 
Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Today I have been packing up some locomotives and my breakdown train for taking to the S7 Group meeting at Mark in Zummerzet on Saturday as there will be no time tomorrow due to visiting a friend and I want to be on the road by 0700 on Saturday. Mind you, I obviously had to check that the locos ran OK and the other vehicles negotiated the pointwork without trouble and such things take time; hence it was unnecessary of Jill to come and suggest that three hours resulting in just one engine being boxed was longer than expected and asking how often some things had to travel the length of the layout before they could be classed as successful. She also had one of those looks when I said that I'd have to finish off the job this evening. Ah, well, domestic harmony should be restored on Saturday when she comes with me and after dropping me at the S7 venue with my mate Crimson Rambler sets off for a day sampling the delights of the West Country with Mrs. Rambler.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Also today I took delivery of a Hobby Holidays 7mm chassis jig after seeing one in action at the Warley at Statfold show. Turns out it was the last one in stock and in all probability there won't be any more so I was lucky. I was also lucky in that Jill didn't see it arrive and ask awkward questions such as, "How much???"

Dave

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

In other news, I'm seriously considering buying a 40W laser cutter and a 3D printer now that I'm starting to get my head around creating proper 3 D drawings and the ability to finally be able to generate .stl files. (I blame Andy from the Potato state!)

That sounds like an excellent idea...I just happen to know of a Certain Bear that happens to have something called an ".stl file" (but no printer....) of a simple yet useful-looking object that could prove rather handy to muddlers when constructing things....... 😁

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I found a nice blue locomotive that I couldn’t remember if I had put a decoder in when I bought it some years ago. It seem that I had. The decoder number I gave it is 5501 which may or may not be a clue to what it is. It isn’t a sound fitted model .

Tony

Bear found a 5501 choo choo - but may well be red....

Blue you say?  Then a chug chug?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Also today I took delivery of a Hobby Holidays 7mm chassis jig after seeing one in action at the Warley at Statfold show. Turns out it was the last one in stock and in all probability there won't be any more so I was lucky. I was also lucky in that Jill didn't see it arrive and ask awkward questions such as, "How much???"

Dave

Bear just happens to have a 4mm one - you won't be disappointed....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

You could have borrowed mine if you'd mentioned you needed one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, polybear said:

Blue you say?  Then a chug chug?

5501  was the number I allocated for the DCC chip. I have to have some method of remembering what the loco is if there isn’t a number visible on it. So if I had something that was a prototype for what became class 55 calling it 5501 seems to work. My Heljan model of DP2 has its decoder set to 5502 but it isn’t a pretty blue colour. 5501 on my DCC roster is the original Deltic as produced by Bachmann for the  NRM. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1