Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

No need to be silly!  Elegoo have a soon-to-be-released FDM printer (the Orange-Storm Giga) -   at 800mmx800mmx1000mm build-size it  might just be big enough. 

AS is the case with every other 3D development, you can except Anycubic, Creality etc etc to follow suit at some point. 

I'd prefer one that's 1000x200x150mm.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I did suggest at work today that if caught, their sentence should be to clean it all off.

With a toothbrush.

On an outside depot road.

In their underpants.

In February.

You are being way too generous.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

...snip...   at 800mmx800mmx1000mm build-size it  might just be big enough. ...snip...

31" x 31" x 39" does not sound all that large.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, AndyID said:

I'd prefer one that's 1000x200x150mm.

Make that 1000 x 200 x 200mm and I'd be right behind you.

EDIT: That size would be able to print anything in 0 scale that I would ever want.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Last Saturday (so its still easily available on iPlayer) the first edition of TG was re-broadcast on BBC Four.  The title music was the familiar tune, with stodgy graphics. It was then introduced by some bloke behind a desk, who rambled on a bit and then passed things over to Angela Rippon, without mentioning what the segment would be about.  Angela then did a piece while she drove her Capri down a motorway, rambling on about good and bad drivers, before pulling into a motorway services to interview a woman about the price of motorway meals.

At that point I gave up, it was so DULL. I'm surprised it lasted long enough to be rebooted by the CHM era!

Ah, but you were watching it all wrong....you should've had the sound on mute....

image.png.0640eaf76624b14da2e6e3ee6aa94ab5.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

@Florence Locomotive Works Welcome back, young Padawan. Learning to cook? The Force is strong in you!

What kind of yeast are you using? Lukewarm water and some sugar might help improve things.

Also have a go at one of various soda breads (which use sodium bicarbonate and an acidic compound - like buttermilk - to act as the raising agent). And unlike with yeast based bread, soda breads don't require much in the way of kneading!

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

What kind of yeast are you using? Lukewarm water and some sugar might help improve things.

Currently just standard self activating yeast in granulated form. I’ve tried the water, it seems to work a little but I think the dough could rise some more. The sugar, now that is a good idea…..

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Currently just standard self activating yeast in granulated form. I’ve tried the water, it seems to work a little but I think the dough could rise some more. The sugar, now that is a good idea…..

You definitely need sugar for ordinary dried yeast. Start it in the warm (not hot!) water, let  it get active, then add the flour in stages (perhaps 200% hydration, mix, rise, 100% hydration, repeat, then add the salt, stir to try to stretch it (one of my Californian books said it should look "like taffy" which is perhaps more meaningful to you than to me), then add the rest of the flour. And the amount of hydration (I assume you are familiar with baker's percentages) varies with different flours.

I mostly bake wholemeal, my preferred flour is not particularly strong (American bread flours tend to be very strong), but even so I find that 66% hydration tends to be dry and does not rise as well as it could.

For baking, a spray of water before you put it in the oven, and (depending on your oven), bake covered for the first 15 minutes or more. Your countrymen are very fond of Dutch ovens, I use a metal (stainless steel, I think) mixing bowl warmed in the oven, then removed, put the sprayed loaf in and cover with the steel bowl.

But my oven is a Neff (the vowel a would be better in my opinion as a sometime baker) which tries to expel everything from inside the oven so that multiple dishes cooked at the same time do not conjoin their flavours. And once the steel bowl has been heated to between 230 and 250 degrees Celsius it will be blackened and only useful as a cover for baking loaves etc.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Please remember:  Do not stand to clap at the end of a Bruckner symphony or they might play it again.

Oh yes please.

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Chris Snowdon said:

My own experience is that VW's beepy-beepy bits are useful, but my only experience of automation was on a Volvo, and it scared me.

My 2011 VW Passat has automatic wipers and headlights plus ‘Blue Motion’ stop/start and automatic parking brake, all of which I find useful. Unlike other cars I have been in with automatic headlights, those in my car don’t stay on when the light levels rise again, e.g., when exiting a tunnel. When I first got it I must admit that I found the switch rather than a traditional handbrake a bit annoying but I soon got used to it. It also has cruise control, which I had on its predecessor, a 1986 BMW, but I seldom if ever use it.

Jill’s car is a 2016 Golf and in the years after my Passat was made VW ‘improved’ things by fitting so called ‘active’ cruise control, which I tried once and never repeated. At least it isn’t automatically engaged so you can choose not to have it activated. It also has a really annoying feature in the stop/start system whereby if the engine has turned off, as soon as the car in front of you (or even sometimes the one on front of that) moves it starts again. Thus, if you are in a traffic queue and the car in front moves even a foot, the engine starts again, which I find annoying. That feature can be disabled but as with other things people have referred to, it resets once you have shut down and has to be turned off again when the car is started. Since my experience with lane assist on the courtesy car I had recently, though, I thank the good Lord that neither of our cars has it.

I think that as others have stated here, you should actively drive a car and the more automation that is installed the result will be that drivers become less cognisant of what is happening around them with potentially bad results.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

My 2011 VW Passat has automatic wipers and headlights plus ‘Blue Motion’ stop/start and automatic parking brake, all of which I find useful. Unlike other cars I have been in with automatic headlights, those in my car don’t stay on when the light levels rise again, e.g., when exiting a tunnel. 

I think that as others have stated here, you should actively drive a car and the more automation that is installed the result will be that drivers become less cognisant of what is happening around them with potentially bad results.

Dave

My car has automatic headlights. Yesterday, which was a bright sunny day I was heading west into a setting sun which cast very deep shadows. While I was in the shade waiting at some temporary traffic lights they came on. They stayed on for another mile or so as the road was still in the shade. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

From what I've read recently, cars need to include all these "driver aids" to get a high NCAP rating.  This might explain why the manufacturers make "always on" the default setting, make it difficult to disable them and reset to default on restart.

I'm surprised that the folk who do aftermarket engine remapping don't supply a package to control driver aids too...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

In my opinion some of the 'driver aids' common today should result in a lower NCAP rating. A friend of mine has recently bought a new flat bed truck for his business and hates them. The other day it read a roadside traffic cone as a hazard and slammed on the brakes then later on tried to drive into the ditch alongside a country lane because it thought he was too close to the white line.

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, bbishop said:

For those not of a nervous disposition, an article by Flavio and myself appears in the latest Continental Modeller.

First aid in the kitchen?

Dave

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

Another Japanese Railway Company boat service: this time a ferry carrying passenger carriages.

What’s interesting Is that unlike many other ferries, it is not RO-RO, carriages are loaded and offloaded by the stern. Presumably this makes for safer sailing in bad weather, not having a very large opening in the bow.

IMG_5700.jpeg.46e3ea536a397055931df36512666020.jpeg

The stern with cutaway

IMG_5702.jpeg.30eefdc3a761f61e88666dffcdd43962.jpeg

The modelling in this museum has been nothing short of totally and utterly gobsmacking and everything is modelled in the larger scales (1/72 ships [I think], 1/20 and 1/10 for rolling stock and locomotion)

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Most rail ships were stern worked I think, though there were vessels with bow and stern doors. Ro-Ro refers to the cargo rolling on and off, whether stern, stern + bow or side door loading/unloading. The Ro-Ro cargo ship category is one of the most interesting to me, they're impressive vessels and behind the surface veneer of looking the same it's a rather diverse segment. The heavy vehicle carriers have reconfigurable decks for example.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Most rail ships were stern worked I think, though there were vessels with bow and stern doors. Ro-Ro refers to the cargo rolling on and off, whether stern, stern + bow or side door loading/unloading. The Ro-Ro cargo ship category is one of the most interesting to me, they're impressive vessels and behind the surface veneer of looking the same it's a rather diverse segment. The heavy vehicle carriers have reconfigurable decks for example.

There used (and possibly still are) lots of YouTube videos of ferries in the  Mediterranean loading and unloading from the stern in lively seas. Not like our English Channel ferries at all. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ro-Ro ferries are a classic example of the 'tombstone imperative'. Naval architects understood the vulnerabilities of the type long before the loss of 'Herald of Free Enterprise' and free surface effect but the risks were deemed acceptable by regulators and owners. After the Herald the UK wanted to act but found little support. After the loss of 'Estonia' the Northern European countries came together with the Stockholm Agreement for ferry safety but the South European countries said no thanks. Although IMO agreed and adopted the ISM Code to improve operational safety management relatively quickly after the Herald tragedy it took years for IMO damage and stability standards to catch up with the Stockholm agreement. And SOLAS only applies to ships on international voyages (or certificated for international voyages) so huge numbers of ferries are outside of SOLAS.

It also highlights how we tend to be oblivious to tragedies elsewhere. Loss of life in the 'Estonia' tragedy was far higher than the Herald loss yet in the UK few remember the 'Estonia'. And virtually nobody in Europe has heard of the 'Dona Paz' disaster in 1987 in the Philippines which is estimated to have killed over 4000 people.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Good afternoon jjb1970,

I still remember the Samos ferry sinking/disaster 24 years after the event (MV Express Samina).

The Boss and I were on holiday on Samos at the time and used to see the ferry every day in the first week of our holiday, on the daily walk into Samos Town from our resort.

Then, after the storm blew up we stayed in the hotel the next day, only to learn of the disaster later that evening.

Such a shock to think of something that solid now gone.

Nigel.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4