Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

BBC Breakfast weather reports show wind speeds of up to 3500 mph in the London area.

Has PB been on the beanz again?

And the much talked about Nottingham had a max temperature of over 400 degrees C. 

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Sherry suggests Wagamama.

My nieces like Wagamama.

We once went to a Japanese restaurant in Westcliff with Matthew. The menu was definitely Japanese style food but the staff were not. Matthew said they were not speaking Japanese, and were Chinese people pretending to be Japanese. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

My nieces like Wagamama.

We once went to a Japanese restaurant in Westcliff with Matthew. The menu was definitely Japanese style food but the staff were not. Matthew said they were not speaking Japanese, and were Chinese people pretending to be Japanese. 

Sherry's Aussie nephew likes Wagamama so the family went there. Whatever Sherry chose suited her very well, but some other members of the party didn't fare so well. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

the much talked about Nottingham had a max temperature of over 400 degrees C. 

Derby didn't look dreary today (viewed only from Raynesway/Spondon) and Leicester was seasonal: even the school cycling lessons on my street didn't trigger showers.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My nieces like Wagamama.

Auriental, as the late Pterry described it. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My nieces like Wagamama.

I've only sampled Wagamama once, at Cribb's Causeway, Brizzle - it was a treat from my son, for taking him to a business meeting in Avonmouth.

Junior is also fluent in Japanese, which was wasted as the staff at Wagamama bore a striking resemblance to Adge Cutler when they spoke.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

The Swiss crocodile is back in normal service today hauling a rake of aggregate wagons, a typical duty in their final years in service.

Behind it are two more (slightly out of focus) crocodiles, this time Arnold models.

All being well overhead masts will be installed soon, the platform surface in the foreground will also be glued down so it will lie flat - unlike some real Swiss stations around the period of the layout.

The photo shows the limitation of using a phone in a north facing room on a dull day.

s20241010_133315.jpg.0bbcfd75491acf9db27888038fa43559.jpg

David

Nice!

I've always fancied a Kroc, but they wouldn't look good on a GWR branch line.  Likewise the Pennsylvanian GG1....

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Northmoor said:

..... but then I used to wander round parts of Toxteth carrying a camera and didn't feel worried either.  The national media had a lot to answer for.

From the age of 3 to 7 I lived in Toxteth and it was fine. Princes Park was lovely then and had a really nice boating lake.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Nice!

I've always fancied a Kroc, but they wouldn't look good on a GWR branch line.  

I've always had a soft spot for the Swiss Krocs ever since I was a kid and used to drool over the goodies in Wally Hatton's shop window in Smithdown Road in Liverpool. One of them was a 7mm (IIRC) Kroc and as soon as I saw it I thought, "I want one," but it never happened.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
The auto thingy put an apostrophe in Krocs
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon Jamie,

Not that warm at our end of the A52 😅

Although the 5776 mph winds have not shown up either 😂

Cheers, Nigel.

I believe the record was somewhere in Cornwall with wind speeds of about 16,400mph (so if you stood still, you'd be doing about Mach 21.5).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Nice!

I've always fancied a Kroc, but they wouldn't look good on a GWR branch line.  Likewise the Pennsylvanian GG1....

In fact there was a diesel locomotive designed for the GWR that had the appearance of one half of a croc with a boxy main body and a low extension at one end for the compressor. It was an 0-4-4 wheel arrangement. Unfortunately it never left the drawing board.

• Informative/Useful 7

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

The Swiss crocodile is back in normal service today hauling a rake of aggregate wagons, a typical duty in their final years in service.

Behind it are two more (slightly out of focus) crocodiles, this time Arnold models.

All being well overhead masts will be installed soon, the platform surface in the foreground will also be glued down so it will lie flat - unlike some real Swiss stations around the period of the layout.

The photo shows the limitation of using a phone in a north facing room on a dull day.

s20241010_133315.jpg.0bbcfd75491acf9db27888038fa43559.jpg

David

Looks fantastic.  Never owned a Swiss Croc, but can boast about seeing one parked up in a siding on my first trip to CH.  Have ever since spent much time not buying a model one, which is the nearest I have come to "self restraint" in 25 years.  Somewhere, I have drawings for the German "KEL" Croc (E.93/94?) and will find time to scratchbuild one day (Raven Pacific remains top of list)

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Just been called outside by our son who said the sky was red.  He's not wrong, despite the amount of urban glow we have, the Aurora Borealis is clearly visible in Surrey tonight.

I don't doubt you and I envy you.  Despite the urban glow we might cast over you, any of us here in SW15 can't see any damned thing in the sky due to the LED streetlights.  Only the late-arrivals into LHR.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Nice!

Better yet, MU the G with the croc! 😉

• Like 6

Currently on the Ōzora limited express (Sapporo to Kushiro) which is a KiHa 261 series tilting DMU running on 1m track (actually 1067mm to be pedantic)). The ride is surprisingly uneven (but still miles better than my last UK TOC ride on Southern) - possibly due to narrow gauge track or due to it being a DMU?

IMG_5215.jpeg.fdf42131260713cd3bcd4bd621592b43.jpeg

The interesting thing is that the train doesn't have that "narrow gauge look" that seems to be the hallmark of many European metre gauge railways.

Green Class (aka First Class) has very comfortable leather and wood reclining seats in a 2-1 configuration:

IMG_5217.jpeg.b3abb5f8abdf0af4ec18cb14ffefffc4.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Lorry/truck. Lastkraftwagen. 

Ja, das ist in mein Langenscheidts.

It's only been 61 years since I took German.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2