Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I've always had an enjoyable time at the table, although never a cheap one, in Scandinavia....

The weird 4-cyl Danish bikes are Nimbus. Made by the Nilfisk company,better known for making vacuum cleaners. 1280px-Nimbus.jpg.26c296c3a4c0ca73c48fc49accc1d84b.jpg

Am very unfamiliar with these but I think I want one.  The general outline is of a single-seat BSA Bantam, and its cousins (particularly the HD-like front sprayguard).  But heavens above, that exhaust mainfold must get disagreeably hot!

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Am very unfamiliar with these but I think I want one.  The general outline is of a single-seat BSA Bantam, and its cousins (particularly the HD-like front sprayguard).  But heavens above, that exhaust mainfold must get disagreeably hot!

Maybe there's some insulation under that chrome cover? Even so....

• Like 7

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

As I'm heading into redundancy and in all probability, semi retirement I've signed up for casual parcel sorting at Royal Mail. I did this for several months during lockdown. 

My good wife regarded it as childish and selfish of me (she thought I should join her, trembling behind the sofa while the BBC provided wall-to-wall fear-mongering) but it paid the bills, and I lost almost 20 pounds and got fitter than I had been for quite some time. 

Hi, rockershovel:

Whatever happens for you "going forward" (a horrible phrase, for which I should prostrate myself), never forget that you know the difference between "The Royal Mail" and "The Post Office".  Sorry to stray into politics (and consitutional theory), but this is TNM so is arguably still properly on-topic...

BTW, in defence of the BBC (to which I have no connection): Evan Davis ended that edition of R4's PM which had announced the death of Dave Greenfield by playing "Always the Sun", which I rather liked.

BR&GL

cs

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Maybe there's some insulation under that chrome cover? Even so....

Probably not much, but if so then of what - kapok, asbestos wool?...  Even if so, then "Even so..."

Looks like a leather-trouser job to me (and before any of you get started, then "Yes", I do know that that might mean somewhat different things to different readers)

regards

cs

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

But that's not just any old diesel, that's a Swindon hydraulic diesel.

Who could be mean to a teddy bear?

Cheers, Nigel.

Swindon versus Steiff - Bring it on - It'll be like when Churchward, asked about the cost of his locos, replied "Because any one of mine could pull two of theirs backwards!"

I have drawings of The Great Bear somewhere, an unfulfilled project from about 12 years ago.

regards

cs

• Like 8
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Demented patients are often restrained for their own safety. One of the problems with full blown dementia is that these patients tend to be very susceptible to fractures and if not restrained can seriously injure themselves by trying to get out of bed* And a fall out of bed in such a patient can be fatal or, worse, result in a hip fracture. In a younger person a hip fracture is no big deal, but in an older person, this usually means that they will be permanently confined to bed with an untreated hip fracture (the NHS rarely fixes hip fractures in the over 80s), which will leave them in constant pain and definitely shorten their lifespan.

So the Judge was right in his summing up.

The real opprobrium should be reserved for the Care Home Chain who doesn’t employ enough staff to ensure that such patients are regularly ambulated and thus minimise the need for restraint.

In Japan there are a lot of elderly people, but they tend to be in better shape than their Western counterparts - a large part due to a healthier diet and lifestyle. We are already seeing the consequences in the UK of an unhealthy lifestyle, UPF rich diet - the generations coming after us (the “Baby Boomers”) are expected - in the UK - to have a shorter average lifespan (https://www.health.org.uk/publications/reports/mortality-and-life-expectancy-trends-in-the-uk?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADunFmQnLuCUn8YeO4qOf94OkanKM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy-TY6en1iAMVvamDBx2kjjtEEAAYAiAAEgKPwPD_BwE). Diet remains a major factor and anyone with a functioning brain should be horrified by this: https://www.euronews.com/health/2024/10/04/ultra-processed-foods-account-for-nearly-half-of-calories-eaten-by-uk-toddlers-study-finds

* as you age your sense of depth perception alters, as does proprioception, your bones become more brittle and thus more likely to break even with a minor fall and healing takes longer…

In the case mentioned they tied her up with bedsheets; of the two “Carers” involved one initially scarpered back to Eastern Europe and the other played “I no understand Eeengleesh….”

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Diesels?

Panniers?

You’re letting down the side there, Hunt.

They might be Diesels, but they’re GREEN Diesels…. 😀

6 hours ago, PupCam said:

Now come on chaps!   Clearly AVM Hunt is actively involved in some important Service Evaluation Trials here.  

As everyone "in the business" knows SET are used to prove a vehicle or system's suitability (or otherwise in this case) for its intended role.   Sometimes they are a bit of a jolly; going off to pleasant foreign lands to do a long morning's "work" and then back in time for tea and medals and a slap-up meal.   Of course, on other occasions they are held in God forsaken hell holes and you can't wait to get home.   

I'm not certain which applies here but he seems cheerful enough.   Perhaps he's putting on a brave face whilst secretly longing for something red? 🤔       

It’s not a smile but an uncontrolled laugh….

”You REALLY want to put THESE into Service???”

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Can't you get iL Doc and Oldudders  to stop by and lend a hand with a promise of some really Haute Cuisine?

That’ll be Pizza, CF’s and Beanz then….

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I am trying to get my bit of DCC working on LGA.  However we've just had our winter firewood, 7stere of it, de, I've red. It's now sitting g outside the woodshed, aka owl est or hangar.  Guess who is going to have to carry it all Inside and stack it.  It's algood fun. 

Jamie

Serves you right for having a shed cum hanger. Into life some rain must fall.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, polybear said:

In the case mentioned they tied her up with bedsheets; of the two “Carers” involved one initially scarpered back to Eastern Europe and the other played “I no understand Eeengleesh….”

So why wasn't the nursing home prosecuted for not having enough proper restraints, thus forcing the staff to resort to such measures?

I don't blame the carers, with people like you (who have no clue about what geriatric care really involves) baying for my blood, I'd scarper too.

Tying a demented patient to their bed to prevent them from hurting themselves isn't necessarily abuse, serving them slop in order to make more money is https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/care-homes-spending-just-244-13903615?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/27/social-care-britain-business-plan-elderly-mistreated-homes-profit

And the "carers" you so obviously despise, are equally trapped as the people they look after.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67684417.amp

But it's easier to go after some 'carers' at their wit's end trying to stop a demented patient from going walkabout than go after the rich and powerful care home owners, isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

As mentioned in ERs, I'm just returned from a cruise around Italy and the Dalmatian coast and yesterday we spent the day in the Croatian port town of Rijeka. Our ship was moored at the location pictured (not my picture) and I was struck by the rail-mounted dockside cranes:

image.png.7f10da10215014907a149bb57f900003.png

picture from fineartamerica

As shown, the left-hand rail is mounted on top of the seawall, meaning all of the cranes have to be manufactured with odd-length legs, which seemed odd to me, but obviously works for them.

Lots of embedded rail all along the mole/pier/breakwater although we saw no rail action while we were there. However, in the town itself along the main harbourside street, we did see a shunter moving (again, not my picture; too slow with the camera!):

image.png.44220a11005eb3e7804723fa079c6066.png

picture from garedeshimbashi on youtube

I can't swear this was the engine we saw, but it certainly looked like it, and that's the place we saw it.

Highly recommend a visit to Rijeka if you get the chance.

• Like 18

48 minutes ago, Darlington_Shed said:

As mentioned in ERs, I'm just returned from a cruise around Italy and the Dalmatian coast and yesterday we spent the day in the Croatian port town of Rijeka. Our ship was moored at the location pictured (not my picture) and I was struck by the rail-mounted dockside cranes:

As shown, the left-hand rail is mounted on top of the seawall, meaning all of the cranes have to be manufactured with odd-length legs, which seemed odd to me, but obviously works for them.

Lots of embedded rail all along the mole/pier/breakwater although we saw no rail action while we were there. However, in the town itself along the main harbourside street, we did see a shunter moving (again, not my picture; too slow with the camera!):

I can't swear this was the engine we saw, but it certainly looked like it, and that's the place we saw it.

Those cranes would make very interesting models, particularly if they were fully operational.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

But that's not just any old diesel, that's a Swindon hydraulic diesel.

Who could be mean to a teddy bear?

Cheers, Nigel.

At least it's not a Clayton. I'll give you that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

The reference to AVM Hunt brought to mind a story.

We were at a dinner and the speaker was Richard Rohmer (Maj. Gen. and author).  Canada's armed forces had been eunuchfied unified and the ranks in all three homogenised.  Rohmer was trying to call someone in the RAF and not getting through as Maj Gen Rohmer.  He then remembered the equivalent ranks and called "This is Air Vice-Marshall Rohmer".

• Like 14
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Probably not much, but if so then of what - kapok, asbestos wool?...  Even if so, then "Even so..."

Looks like a leather-trouser job to me (and before any of you get started, then "Yes", I do know that that might mean somewhat different things to different readers)

regards

cs

Maybe it's just spaced-off so that air passes between it and the manifold. We need a bike expert like NHN on this one. I'm sure he'll know. It was only good for about 20 HP so the compression ratio must have been quite low. That probably helped too.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Darlington_Shed said:

6 hours ago, AndyID said:

Those cranes would make very interesting models, particularly if they were fully operational.

That arrangement was quite common where there was a need for ships to be loaded from the dockside tracks. Often the inner rail would be on the dockside warehouse. At Heysham it was built into the wall of the station. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

So why wasn't the nursing home prosecuted for not having enough proper restraints, thus forcing the staff to resort to such measures?

I don't blame the carers, with people like you (who have no clue about what geriatric care really involves) baying for my blood, I'd scarper too.

Tying a demented patient to their bed to prevent them from hurting themselves isn't necessarily abuse, serving them slop in order to make more money is https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/care-homes-spending-just-244-13903615?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/27/social-care-britain-business-plan-elderly-mistreated-homes-profit

And the "carers" you so obviously despise, are equally trapped as the people they look after.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67684417.amp

But it's easier to go after some 'carers' at their wit's end trying to stop a demented patient from going walkabout than go after the rich and powerful care home owners, isn't it?

Bear does NOT despise Carers - and I resent that remark most strongly 😡.  I do however resent bad ones.  In the case mentioned it was the Care Home itself that called the Police in; the fact that the CPS decided there was enough evidence the proceed to charging and prosecuting the individuals concerned is I think evidence enough that their behaviour fell far below what is acceptable.

As for good Carers, I think they do an incredible, often sh1t job for far less reward than they deserve.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

This isn't mine, it's a wizard models kit built, but I do have a couple of Clayton's. 😀

17281992169209132988825160141710.jpg.9cea255e51c07559c09b6a3b9f942aea.jpg

• Like 17